Kreg Pocket Hole Screws Alternatives

Review by steliart posted 07-02-2013 02:55 PM 5670 views 1 time favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Kreg Pocket Hole Screws Alternatives Kreg Pocket Hole Screws Alternatives Kreg Pocket Hole Screws Alternatives Click the pictures to enlarge them

Kreg Pocket Hole Screws Alternatives

I think the Kreg Jig system is one of the best products that Kreg came out with.
By saying that personally I have a problem, the Kreg does not exist in my country so I always have to import from overseas (via air freight) my stock in screws.
Ok, I do have a small stock in the shop but since they cost me almost double the price to stock them (especially for low budget projects) I needed to find an alternative.

They way I come up with was to use the nearest to length I needed screw (maybe one or two millimeters off) that I could find in the market i.e. for coarse thread 1”1/4 I use galvanized chipboard or drywall screws 3.5X30mm together with an M4 or M5 washer.

With these alternative screws is how I build my Paint Booth project HERE.

I have no way of testing the strength between this alternative and the Kreg screws, but it looks to me that the alternative joint is also very strong, so I will rate it with 4 stars.

If any of you has a way to test this, please do so and let us know the results.

Stelios Stavrinides

-- Stelios L.A. Stavrinides: - I am not so rich to buy cheap tools, but... necessity is the mother of inventions - http://www.steliart.com --

View dgage's profile

dgage

#1 posted 07-02-2013 06:27 PM

Nice alternative. I have plenty of pocket hole screws but there have been times when I didn’t have the correct length pocket hole screw. Thanks for this tip as I’m sure it will come in handy.

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#2 posted 07-02-2013 07:27 PM

Drywall screws in the States are brittle compared to most other screws, something to consider.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

#3 posted 07-02-2013 08:09 PM

RicK M.
Don’t know anything about the states quality dry wall screws man, but the ones we use here are just fine. Anyhow you can use a screw of your choice or like with a washer, if you are looking for an alternative, and still if you think that the join is gonna be not as strong as you would like it to be, then use some glue ;)

View AngieO's profile

AngieO

#4 posted 07-02-2013 09:17 PM

I too am curious about this. I went to Lowes over the weekend to pick up some pocket hole screws for an outdoor project. The Kreg/or other PH screws were $20 (on sale). Regular outdoor screws were $9.50. That’s twice as much. What makes them special? I know they have a different head… But why is this important for it to hold?

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#5 posted 07-02-2013 09:20 PM

Angie – the flat head is to keep the screw from penetrating too deep – and going through the joinery and out the other end of the parts messing it up. another quality to these screws is that they are self drilling (for penetrating the 2nd board in the joint) so they don’t split and crack the parts.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

#6 posted 07-02-2013 09:35 PM

AngieO
The Kreg pocket hole screws are self tapping and have square head hole to stay firmly on your driver and have a flat lower head like a washer to act as a clamp, come in different coating and threads, and the joint needs no glue.
Now IMHO my proposal has most of these except the self tapping (even though you could get them self tapped but are equally expensive), and if you use a bit glue on your join from what I see I feel confident that it will be a very good alternative.

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#7 posted 07-03-2013 01:55 AM

The home improvement stores here sell a deck screw that is self tapping, square drive, with flat bottoms, and are very tough; they work just fine with Kreg jigs. They come in a range of sizes from 1.5” and up.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View jim C's profile

#8 posted 07-03-2013 12:38 PM

Price difference….......
Drywall screws are consumed by the millions every day, making their mass production cheaper.
I would guess Kreg screw production is a drop in the bucket in terms of production, thus costs to produce are higher.
Not saying it’s totally justified, as a premium is added because they consider it genuine, but small lots do cost more.

View Radu's profile

Radu

#9 posted 07-03-2013 01:07 PM

If you look at the picture of the actual pocket screw (the one in the middle) you can see there is a section below the head that is not threaded. That helps to pull the outer board real tight, and that’s why the bottom of the head needs to be flat.

#10 posted 07-03-2013 05:09 PM

jim C
Price difference for me, because I have to import them is about double for a qty of 200 and 10-15 days delivery time. To get a fair price I mast order pack of 1000.

View jim C's profile

#11 posted 07-03-2013 06:22 PM

steliart
I understand your plight, I was illustrating the impact on cost relating to low vs. high production runs.

View SquintyPolock's profile

SquintyPolock

#12 posted 07-04-2013 09:32 PM

Washers are a clever idea! Good thinking.

-- It's all in a day's work...

#13 posted 07-04-2013 09:45 PM

Thanks Guys

View lcwood's profile

lcwood

#14 posted 07-05-2013 01:29 AM

I have the same problem of import and my solution is simple and work well to me for long time (no so good as kreg screws)

Pan Head Phillips Wood Screw easy to find in local store at many sizes and diameters
6” Long Phillips #2 Screwdriver Bits (I have to import it from lee valley but they last!)

View Dusty56's profile (online now)

#15 posted 07-07-2013 05:45 AM

What are you actually “reviewing” here with the 4 star rating ? The black screw , the silver screw, the washers, or your idea which is not original ?
The KREG screw pictured is for Softwoods and the other screws have too fine of a thread and may pull out or strip out the wood that you’re attaching. Also with the threads going completely up the shank, you may not be able to tighten the joint fully without modifying the shank hole. The KREG screws are high quality and purpose specific and justify a higher cost. I realize you’re “making do” with what you have to save money, but newbies might think this is the way to go and end up with a lot of frustration when their joints fail them. Also , drywall screws tend to lose their heads when used for purposes other than attaching drywall…. Just sayin’ : )