Knew Concepts 8" Fret Saw - Great for Dovetailing

Review by MoKC posted 387 days ago 1903 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Knew Concepts 8" Fret Saw - Great for Dovetailing Knew Concepts 8" Fret Saw - Great for Dovetailing Knew Concepts 8" Fret Saw - Great for Dovetailing Click the pictures to enlarge them

Rating: 4 out of 5

Bottom Line: Very good fret saw offers an extremely high degree of control which saves time when it comes to fine woodworking tasks. Comes up short when it comes to material selection for the handle. Otherwise generally positive but not a necessity in the workshop given the price.

Pros:

-Lightweight and extremely maneuverable.
-Tightening the saw blade very easy thanks to a micro-adjuster and cam locking mechanism.
-Saw blade can be swiveled to a preset +45 degrees, 0 degrees, and -45 degrees allowing the operator to get into tight corners.

Cons:

-A premium fretsaw should have a premium handle.
-Workmanship on my saw was somewhat lacking. A part fell off after a few uses.
-The 8” saw will flex when the blade is under high tension.

For a full review that includes my reasoning about why I gave the saw a 4/5 visit my blog.

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

Is this the one with a titanium frame?

MoKC

This model has an aluminium frame.

View MrFid's profile

MrFid

Thanks for the review. I have the same saw in 5 inch, which suits my purpose and doesn’t flex. In your blog you mention regrets for not getting the 5 inch, so I am glad I got that one. Also, I haven’t had a problem with the lever cover, could be a one-time thing… anyone else?

-- Bailey F - Eastern Mass.

MoKC

I think it was a one time thing. It’s an easy fix with super glue or loctite.

View TechRedneck's profile

TechRedneck

Thanks for your thoughts on this saw, read your blog post as well.

This saw is on my wish list, but I tend to agree with you that the 5” or 3” version may be the better value for the average woodworker doing dovetails. Doing some research on this saw, I like the story behind it, the quality and seeing someone find an age old tool and improve on it with modern materials. That is worth the extra cost to me.

The ability to lock the blade at a 45 degree angle, quick tension, light weight are all improvements on the fret saw I currently use, even with premium blades.

-- Mike.... West Virginia. "Man is a tool using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.". T Carlyle

View JohnChung's profile

JohnChung

I own the 5” fret saw. No issues there. But if it is over tighten it can bend the frame. Just tighten as the
instruction states and it will work fine.

View Dakkar's profile

Dakkar

I just ran across this video in which Mythbuster Adam Savage interviews a guy from Knew Concepts about these saws. One thing they point out early is that you want to use a shallower saw for short cuts like dovetails. Anyway, it’s pretty interesting how they came up with this truss design.

View rdwile's profile

rdwile

I have and love the 5” version of this saw, no real flex in that size. I have not run into a situation where the 5” is not deep enough for cutting dovetails.

+1 on the crappy handle, first thing I did was make a new handle for mine and my friends’ saw.

Here's my blog with instructions on making new handles.

-- Richard D. Wile, http://richard-wile.blogspot.ca/