The Full Potential of the R4512

Review by aatwatch posted 06-24-2013 10:29 PM 10825 views 5 times favorited 41 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Full Potential of the R4512 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have an R4512 with a MLCS cast-iron router table extension, Incra 32” TS-LS fence system, Incra 1000HD miter guage and 48 tooth WWII blade. I love this saw and have no complaints other than being underpowered at times. However, once everything is properly calibrated I would argue that this setup could perform as well as any comparable duty saws and it has made me very happy to own.

The MLCS cast-iron extension bolted up easily with the supplied hardware. The middle bolt was tricky to pull off but I was able to get it securely on the left side (as shown) with plenty of room for my router. It did sit 1/16” low of the table saw table so I bored out the holes on the extension table with my cordless drill and it leveled out very easily. This extension was well worth the money and am very satisfied with my purchase.

The Incra TS-LS system was extremely easy to install with no modifications required to the R4512. The alignments and calibrations took a long time but once set I don’t see ever having to do it again. As you have probably read the Incra system requires a huge footprint to the operator’s right which is true. It caused me to have to turn my saw longways which will require me rolling the saw out to the main part of the garage to cut ply or long stock. The r4512 has a very good caster system so the inconvenience is minimal for what I gained.

The R4512 is capable of a lot with the right upgrades and blade and I was able to use the 20% HF coupon at home depot making the saw $432 with tax. That made it an even easier decision.

Hopefully this helps a current owner or prospective owner in some way.

Thanks
Jason

*UPDATE
Since my electrical cord rig in the background has made so many people lose sleep over my safety, please note before commenting that it was temporary and that I have since had a hardwired outlet placed for router.

View eatsawdust's profile

eatsawdust

#1 posted 06-24-2013 10:55 PM

Wow, I think that never would have crossed my mind to do that! But I think if I were able to get a good deal on the saw and the fence I would probably do it. In my experience I think you are right the fence is the most important part of the saw, I have owned a Craftsman jobsite saw, Delta bench top, two Dewalts jobsite saws, a Bosch jobsite saw, a Ridgid 3650 and a Jet super saw, so I have experienced several types from owning them and have used a Unisaw, Ridgid portable and some Ryobi table saws. I also touched a Powermatic, Grizzly, and Sawstop in the showrooms but have not used them yet or owned one yet (one can certainly dream).

-- Why does everything I enjoy doing have to be bad for the environment, I work in the oil industry and enjoy working with exotic woods from rain forests

#2 posted 06-24-2013 11:10 PM

Thanks for the encouragement! I am not trying to say that expensive saws are not worth the price I am just trying to open a dialogue about alternatives for an average joe budget. I have micro precision for 1300 bucks including the blade. Am I ridiculous or smart? Two different schools of thought I guess..

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

#3 posted 06-24-2013 11:11 PM

Nice! But why is the old fence still attached to the side of the saw?

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

#4 posted 06-24-2013 11:12 PM

I just threw it down there yesterday when I was clearing the stock rails for the install

View sixstring's profile

sixstring

#5 posted 06-24-2013 11:19 PM

Those Incra fence systems are very impressive… it’s a stupid gripe of mine but man do i hate that gold color, especially since it seems to match my Powermatic saw so well. I just have a Vega fence which I cant complain much about.

Way to upgrade the Ridgid… You should send them a pic of how nice their machine can be set up.

-- JC Garcia, Concord, CA : "It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission..."

View aji's profile

aji

#6 posted 06-24-2013 11:40 PM

I have one installed on a Bosch 4100

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

#7 posted 06-24-2013 11:47 PM

It’s all about what works for each of us. You don’t have to have a $10,000 saw for it to meet your needs.

#8 posted 06-24-2013 11:53 PM

“Like” Button to a1Jim

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

#9 posted 06-25-2013 12:47 AM

Same set up with these differences: Craftsman table saw, BenchDog Router table and fence on the left end with a RouterFX lift holding a PC 892. I love the entire setup, except the weight of the saw and the power. Too light, too weak. I get everything done that I set out to do, but there is always a reset on the power source if I’m doing anything larger than 2”. Also using WWII. My dream saw is a simple Grizz 690, with Incra Fence, and the same router extension setup. Just have to get some 220 wired to the garage. The Rigid looks good with the gold. I never hesitate with not installing the stock fence in favor of the Incra if I were to pull the trigger on the grizzly.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View RibsBrisket4me's profile

RibsBrisket4me

#10 posted 06-25-2013 12:49 AM

Props to you Jason and also to aji, for making your saws all YOU want them to be!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

-- http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6255915

View Douglas's profile

Douglas

#11 posted 06-25-2013 01:02 AM

I’m a Craftsman 21833 owner (same saw) with a LS-TS too. Great upgrade. One day I’ll move the Incra over to a 3HP Sawstop, but until then, it’s a great setup.

-- Douglas in Chicago - http://dcwwoodworks.com

View aji's profile

aji

#12 posted 06-25-2013 01:08 AM

I really want a cabinet saw with the incra but the problem is i cant find one here in the Philippines.
My only option is to import one from the US but the shipping and tax would double the price. Had to get the 4100 instead and i’m happy with it especially with the incra.

View klassenl's profile

klassenl

#13 posted 06-25-2013 02:21 AM

I like extension cords and the power bar behind our saw.

-- When questioned about using glue on a garbage bin I responded, "Wood working is about good technique and lots of glue........I have the glue part down."

View muleskinner's profile

muleskinner

#14 posted 06-25-2013 02:27 AM

I can’t figure out why you’d prepare yourself for criticism. If the blade spins true on a Home Depot saw, I can’t see where it would be less legitimate to trick it out than it would be on some ‘trophy’ saw.

-- Visualize whirled peas

#15 posted 06-25-2013 02:33 AM

I view it that way as well.. It’s just that the fence system alone cost more than the saw so I figured it would look funny.. turns out the only criticism i have received is for the extension cord powering a shop light in the background go figure