A brilliant invention for routers

Review by harry1 posted 06-24-2013 03:25 AM 3222 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A brilliant invention for routers No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Yesterday under “projects” I posted a thread concerning my “discovery” of the MUSLECHUCK, which replaces the standard router chuck and only requires a half tun of an Allen key to lock in the bit securely. There has been such a BIG response that a member suggested that this may be a better place so as a comprise I suggest that all members who are into or contemplating learning about routing take a look at my original post which reached top 3 yesterday in the PROJECTS section.

harry1

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

#1 posted 06-24-2013 03:44 AM

Here’s a link to the other post http://lumberjocks.com/projects/86105

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#2 posted 06-24-2013 04:12 AM

OK, now that it’s in a “Review” section, what good does it do?

A good Project of learning of what this product was all about…

#3 posted 06-24-2013 04:45 AM

I was hoping for an even wider audience and at the same time keep a fellow member who raised the question, happy Joe. I really think that if YOU got one Joe you would have difficulty knowing how to thank me.

View eruby's profile

eruby

#4 posted 06-24-2013 01:50 PM

I find it interesting that the manufactures page shows that this IS compatible w/ the PC890 series but the Wood Rat page says that it IS NOT. I wonder if they are the same product??

-- Eric - Baltimore MD

#5 posted 06-24-2013 02:21 PM

I have been advised that it IS compatible with the PC890, 100% or you’ll get your money back!

View surfin2's profile

surfin2

#6 posted 06-24-2013 06:20 PM

Eliminator RC Quick Change Chuck looks the same as Musclechuck.

This is getting more complicated by the minute, no mention of PC 890
When I was looking for parts for my 890 I saw that the 690 & 890 take the same collet ???
When Garyk came out with the review on the Eliminator why did it say it won’t fit the PC890..

-- Rick

#7 posted 06-25-2013 01:53 AM

I did all the research possible on the ELIMINATOR and MUSCLECHUCK before committing. The ELIMINATOR appears to have a cam which puts pressure on a single point of the bit, no doubt marking the shank. The MUSCLECHUCK on the other hand squeezes around the shank giving even pressure and no chance of marking the shank. Rumour has it that both chucks were invented by the same person who sold the design of the ELIMINATOR and subsequently invented the superior MUSCLECHUCK, both of which give that extra 1/2” of cutting depth which means that an extension is no longer needed for many projects that just lacked that small amount and often led to the dangerous practice of “inching” the bit out of the collet.

View eruby's profile

eruby

#8 posted 06-25-2013 11:59 AM

Harry is correct. The Musclechuck DOES fit the PC 890 (according to the company that makes them). I got the following email from the company/creator in response to my question regarding the discrepancies between the Musclechuck page and the various retailers that sell them. (Harry just answered it faster).

“The type 1 Musclechuck will fit an 890 porter cable. When the packaging labels were manufactured I made a mistake. Regards, John D.”
I am definitely considering this more because of the increased depth of cut than anything else.

-- Eric - Baltimore MD

View Loren's profile

Loren

#9 posted 06-25-2013 05:35 PM

I have a couple of router chucks, different styles.

They certainly make changing bits on a standard
plunge router easier.

One of them tightens with an allen wrench like the
chuck above. It fits into the standard 1/2” collet
and it extends the plunge depth by about 35mm.
It has a bit of runout but is within an acceptable
tolerance. The adavantage is it will fit any router -
I have it installed in my shaper currently.

The other one is an no-longer-made model by
Jacob’s which only fits a few routers. It requires
no tools to change bits. I don’t know why it
was pulled off the market, but old stock ones
can be found on ebay.

-- http://lawoodworking.com

View Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist

5261 posts in 2054 days

#10 posted 06-27-2013 05:11 PM

Looks very interesting and I checked out their website and was ready to buy one but they do not make one that fits my Milwaukee router …it has the most pain-in-the-ass collet to change bits of all my routers. I have other routers it would fit but most, like the Milwaukee, primarily have bits that stay in them for specific uses.

-- Each step of every Wood Art project I design and build is considered my masterpieceā€¦ because I want the finished product to reflect the quality and creativeness of my work

View Warren1971's profile

Warren1971

#11 posted 06-29-2014 02:57 AM

Hi Harry Thanks for the referral.

Its official One Wood Tools is now a distributor for Musclechuck in Australia, we are giving all Router Forums members a 5% discount simply enter the coupon code “routerforums” Here is a link to our site http://www.onewood.com.au/musclechuck/

Cheers
Warren

-- Cheers Warren - www.onewood.com.au Microjig and Grr-Ripper Distributor for Australia