Wood Slicer Band saw Blade

Review by Tom Godfrey posted 402 days ago 4559 views 2 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wood Slicer Band saw Blade No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For months I have been thinking about buying this band saw blade and like everything else I read or hear I never know if its someone blowing smoke up my rear end or really do what they claim. In the case of the wood slicer blade all that is told or written is true or it is for me. I have a Rigid band saw with a six inch height and I have had it for years but never use it that much because I couldn’t get it to do what I wanted.

After getting the wood slicer it’s almost like I have a brand new band saw. Believe it or not it runs smoother and I can now cut wood without any drift, that I can notice, and it cuts through the wood like it was butter. I was shocked just how easy it cuts. I can now cut a lot faster than before and if I continue to write two or three more pages I couldn’t say anymore than I already have.

You are going to have to buy one to find out for yourself and if it don’t do as I say then shame on me. Now you may need to do a tune up on your bandsaw and that should be done makes no different what band saw you own. There is a lot of information on how to tune up a band saw so be sure and do that.

Here is the link and if you happen to buy this blade write me back and let me know what you think. http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/wood-slicer-resaw-bandsaw-blades.aspx?et_mid=624749&rid=237845928

Money well spent.

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

Glad to hear it, Tom. I will keep them in mind when I next purchase blades….......Jim

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

Tom, I have been extolling the benefits of the Woodslicer blade on these forums since the first day of using one. Further if you watch and follow the advice given on this video by Alex Snodgrass. You will HAVE NO DRIFT. Your saw will run smoother, quieter with accurate cuts and did I mention NO DRIFT.

The techniques work for me and actually make sense.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

Very good blade, and what you say is all right on point. In fact, I spent a couple of hours with my Wood slicer this after noon—great cuts and no drift.

View lew's profile

lew

Best resaw blade for the $$$.
Buy it, you won’t regret it.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

Douglas

After learning how to set up my saw from the Alex Snodgrass video, I bought a wood slicer, and it was fantastic. However, I’m increasingly suspicious that the mere act of changing the blade to a new one did more to improve my setup than the high quality of the Woodslicer. To test that, I bought a pair of 3 tpi 1/2 blades for $12 each, and got similar results. So I’m leaning towards the theory that, while the woodslicer is great, most of us just leave a blade on the saw too long, it gets dull, and things suck. We should just change blades frequently, and we’ll get good results. If I can get 2-3 “cheap” blades vs 1 Woodslicer, and get 95% of the performance per blade, maybe that’s a way to go.

Douglas

In fact, just today, I tried slicing some figured maple for a veneer. 3” into the 1/8” cut, the blade had bowed out and hit the aluminum fence. That $12 blade had been going through qtr white oak for the last few month, so it was worn. I switched out the blade for another $12 3 tpi 1/2” blade, and got these out of my 14” Grizzly bs…

Tom Godfrey

Douglas you may be very well right about the set up being more important than the blade. I don’t claim to be an expert when it comes to a bandsaw, all I can do is report what took place when I purchased the wood slicer. If the 12 dollar blades does the same and yes you could buy three of those for about the same price of the wood slicer. Even if you used three 12 dollar blades to the one wood slicer then I would see no advantage over either one but if you get more use out of the 12 dollar than you would the wood slicer then you are ahead.
That would be something that each of us would have to check out. I would be interested in how long the 12 blades last compared to the wood slicer. As for me I will continue using the wood slicer until I know something comes along better for me and at a better price.
Thanks for your information and look forward to move responses as yours. Its all of us working together as a unit and that way everyone learns.
Tom

Note: I fail to mention that I made no changes to my bandsaw when I purchased and installed the wood slicer. Based on the results with the blades I have been using compared to the wood slicer is far better.

Douglas

It’s hard to say, I’ll have to do more testing. I’ll get another Woodslicer at some point and try to evaluate if it lasts longer than the $12 ones or not. I think the solution to the whole problem would be $12 Woodslicers!

View steve54uk's profile

steve54uk

Why is it you read an article about something interesting and would like to try the product only to find it’s solely available in the U.S.A doh!

-- Steve, Aylesbury UK

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

I think it is better than Timber blades.

Tom Godfrey

Steve will they not ship to the UK?

View steve54uk's profile

steve54uk

They probably would Tom, but shipping costs from the States would double the cost of these blades, which makes you wonder is it worth it!

-- Steve, Aylesbury UK

Tom Godfrey

Steve: I hate all these high shipping and handling cost and for the most part only order things when I can get free shipping. Not sure if that would ever happen outside the United States but would be worth looking into.

View harry1's profile

harry1

I’m very impressed Tom, in fact I’ve just emailed Highland for a freight quote.

-- Harry, Western Australia

Tom Godfrey

Harry and Steve, if they want a high shipping fee I may be able to purchase each of you what you want then ship to you. Not sure how that would work out, just an idea.