Easy Tools for Woodturning Rougher, Finisher and Detail Tools

Review by Nick_R posted 06-21-2013 07:18 PM 2311 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Easy Tools for Woodturning Rougher, Finisher and Detail Tools No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

*UPDATE*

After using these tools for a few months and turning lots of stuff I have found a reason to complain.. But really these are great tools and seem to live up to marketing however the edges do not last as long as you might think, They do not stay super sharp and then one day become dull. It is an over time degradation so you reach a point where the tool is not dull but not really sharp either… You have to debate on whether to turn the blade and what happens is you don’t turn the blade till it is dull… The other thing is on the square blade the sides do a lot of cutting as well so the blade is not as sharp…

What I found is I end up working with a mostly sharp blade most of the time. Sort of… I will get replacement cutters and see if I want to invest more… Comments?

I took the plunge on Fathers Day.. Actually the day after but Woodcraft was having a 15% off sale on these tools and I am tired of my cheap carbon steel harbor freight lathe chisels.

I bought the mini versions which means they are about 12 inches long but have the same tips as the larger/longer tools. All in all I spent $240 on 3 tools.

The longer ones would have cost me another $60 total and I think now I would have spent it. The mini tools are fine but if you get to far off the rest they bite and chatter. On the mini you have about 1.5 inch of length that you can work with before you have problems.. Now many might say “you should never get that far off the rest anyway” true… But these chisels work so well that you will be there much quicker than you expect.

The rougher is amazing. Removes lots of material with long ribbons of wood just peeling off. Love it.! the Finisher is also true to advertising and creates and smooth manageable peal and is a joy to work with. The detailer is just as good. I am more than satisfied with the tools and have made several bowls and screwed around with some other shapes just for a test drive.

I can’t complain… which I usually like to do.. These tools are not all encompassing though. I still needed my bowl gouges to get in deep and the detail tool is very good, but shaping is a little more difficult than with a skew.

Right now I love these things…

-- Hope for the best but plan for the worst. - 7 finger Nick :)

View Nick_R's profile

Nick_R

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

#1 posted 06-27-2013 12:27 PM

I use mine all the time. Especially the rougher. I have the minis as well, and one of these days I’m going to splurge on a full-sized version to see how it stacks up in comparison.

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View MyWayChipCarving's profile

MyWayChipCarving

#2 posted 06-27-2013 12:40 PM

I thought of getting a set but I have read mixed reviews. Some say they are great, others say save you money.

I think it might come down to personal opinion.

-- Please recycle. Save the trees.......for woodcarvers!

View jrecord's profile

jrecord

#3 posted 07-01-2013 04:12 AM

These tools made it possible for me to easily get into turning. They work so well that turning was instantly fun. No need to learn how to sharpen. Just hold straight and level and shape the wood.

-- Jim in Arvada,Colorado

View Micah Muzny's profile

Micah Muzny

#4 posted 11-20-2013 02:19 AM

I have 3 differnt easy tools, rougher, finisher, and the detailer. I have the same views as Nick, they seem to dull faster than you would think. I have the same debate about turning the heads too.