Clamps for glue edge boards

Review by jerrells posted 06-20-2013 09:48 PM 2867 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Clamps for glue edge boards Clamps for glue edge boards No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I do a lot of glue edge board glue-ups and was looking for a better and faster clamping system. My old one required four hand clamps and 4 cauls and did a fine job but the set up was very time consuming.

After receiving some money for father’s day, I decided to give these a try. I must admit the guys at the local Rockler store were not helpful with any recommendations on the product. Also, at least my box came with NO instructions at all. Now I did have in mind what I wanted to accomplish and was sure that was a way to do it. Also, Rockler is very good about returns so I was not worried.

You will need to make the 2 inch by 2 inch (mine at 1 and ½ popular) boards and they need to be longer than your widest glue up. In my case I will be gluing ½ inch thick material so I needed some spacers between the cauls and the ½ boards. I have also noticed that the clamp pad on each end will need a support so that it is centered on the boards to be glued.

The first try was fairly successful. The two boards being glued had about a 32nd, or less, twist in them. That was easy to plane and sand off.

I think that with a little more reengineering and thinking about what I want to accomplish this will be a fine system. Most likely I will purchase a second set at some point in time.

Thanks for looking.

-- Just learning the craft my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ practiced.

View jerrells's profile

jerrells

112093 posts in 2232 days

#1 posted 06-20-2013 10:56 PM

Thanks for the review

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#2 posted 06-21-2013 12:16 AM

I’ve wondered about these, so thanks for your review.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2570 posts in 2087 days

#3 posted 06-21-2013 10:49 AM

I’ve had these for several years. I used the 2×2’s recommended in the non-instruction sheet – they work fine with a little practice. They take some getting used to. I did put packing tape on the 2×2’s to prevent sticking. They are pretty scary to look at… we just call them the torture bars.

Actually, on second look at yours, I notice that you have slightly different wood pieces to clamp the black jig onto. Mine came with black short-ish receivers for the clamps… that’s where the 2×2’s came in handy. Did you have to make them or did they come with the unit?

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View scrollingmom's profile

scrollingmom

#4 posted 06-30-2013 10:39 PM

Too cool. Its too bad that the stores that we shop at just don’t know what it is that they are selling. It would be nice if they did demos, just think how many more people they would get to buy their tools.

-- Kelly, Allen,KS

View badbert's profile

badbert

#5 posted 09-12-2013 09:12 AM

Without three sets of these clamps, you really cannot judge them. I use three sets and have never had to plane off any twist afterwards. No way could I just get that lucky… LOl The only way to flatten a board is 3 points of pressure. One set alone will only will only flatten where it is, causing the twist to be worse where there is no pressure. I hope this makes sense…

Also put a 1/4” spacer between the boards and clamped and screwed them together in the middle. I then ran them across my jointer until flat. This gives them a 1’4’ taper. This helps keep pressure in the center when the cauls start bending.