Best double-sided tape I've used

Review by Beezle posted 06-20-2013 07:50 PM 2201 views 4 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Best double-sided tape I've used No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have tried many different methods of holding down work while routing or otherwise machining wood. Most work well enough, but I also happen to use a CNC milling machine to cut wood and in that case the material needs to be very stable and the thickness added by the tape must be consistent.

Not to mention not damage anything upon removal. It’s a lot to ask and there seems to be a lot of different tapes out there.

I recently noticed that Micro Fence sells a tape and I thought I would give it a try. It has surpassed not only any expectations I might have had for this tape, but for the application itself as well. In the photo you can see where I am cutting a very hard wood, Chakte Viga and it did the job perfectly. The nice block of douglas fir + ebony is a cutoff and being stable, makes an excellent fixture.

I have made a few dozen parts using this tape now and I am thoroughly impressed. Never thought I’d think to review a tape, but this one deserves it. I also enjoy dealing with Micro Fence in general. I buy my Onsrud cutters from them along with some of the tools they make. Excellent company in that you can trust the quality of everything they sell.

View Beezle's profile

Beezle

View SPalm's profile

SPalm

#1 posted 06-20-2013 11:34 PM

Neat.
I was just looking for a better tape. I will have to give it a try.
Thanks,
Steve

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

View thewoodmaster's profile

thewoodmaster

#2 posted 06-20-2013 11:50 PM

if it works so well, how do you separate the pieces without damaging the wood?

-- dan "insert pithy woodworking coment here"

View Beezle's profile

Beezle

#3 posted 06-21-2013 12:04 AM

I use a thin flat putty knife. I push the knife under the tape, not between the tape and the work piece. In any case, no damage. Once it begins to lift, it comes free nicely.

View wbrisett's profile

wbrisett

#4 posted 06-22-2013 10:22 AM

One way I do it when I’m scroll sawing pieces that have delicate cuts is to put down a layer of painter’s tape first, then put down the double-sided tape. This allows me to very easily peel off the double-sided tape without damaging the wood and without having to resort to fingernails and putty knives.

#5 posted 06-22-2013 05:24 PM

Nice tips , guys. Thank you.

View David's profile

David

#6 posted 07-08-2013 06:56 PM

Beezle, thanks for the review, intend to try it.