A pleasant surprise from the Home Depot

Review by Chris Hudak posted 06-16-2013 08:10 AM 5842 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A pleasant surprise from the Home Depot No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

It all started when my father in law gave his Craftsman radial arm saw. I am am his favorite son in law after all (my wife is an only child.) Well I soon found out that life is too short to mess with with a Craftsman radial arm saw. When I finally got the thing aligned and running the blade would slow down and jam in the wood and it would be out of alignment all over again. Not wishing to inflict this pain on another human being I took the dang thing to the dump. The man working there seemed happy to get it. Good luck with that! Anyway, cheapskate that I am, I checked out the HF 10” Sliding Compound Miter Saw. I had a coupon for 79.99. Not a bad price at all. However, this unit seemed to be built very cheaply and I thought it would not hold up even in home workshop use.I had some gift cards saved up from Home Depot so I went there to see their saws. I ended up buying the Ryobi 10” Sliding Compound Miter Saw for 199.99 and 25.00 for the replacement warranty. Since the saw has a 2 Year warranty this covers the saw for 4 years. Well worth it I thought. The box says it has a 3 year warranty so maybe its 5 years? Anyway, the Ryobi is well built for its price and has nice fit and finish. It is not heavy at all so it wuold be very portable. This was not an issue for me as mine is used in my woodshop. It was not aligned perfectly out of the box but took only about 30 mins to square up. The saw comes with a 40 tooth blade that would be OK for construction projects. Luckily I had a 60 tooth negative hook blade I had purchased for radial arm saw. With that blade installed the saw cuts very well . It has plenty of power and the slides are very smooth. The included dust bag only catches a small amount of the dust that flies everywhere but I knew it would not. Also the laser does not work well for long as it becomes covered up with sawdust and pitch very quickly. However, that is also not a problem for me. I have noticed that the detents for the angles while accurate, do not lock in very solidly so one must be careful about that when changing angles. Overall, I think this saw is a great value for the price and I would recomend highly to a woodworker on a budget or just a tightwad like me! I gave it 4 stars because of the issues with the bag, laser, and soft miter detents but dont let that stop you. This is my first post and i thrilled to be a part of Lumberjocks Thanks Chris Hudak

View Chris Hudak's profile

Chris Hudak

View RonInOhio's profile

RonInOhio

#1 posted 06-16-2013 08:37 AM

I purchased a Ryobi 10” CMS about 5 years ago. Very pleased with the accuracy and decent quality, (for the price point) of this saw. It’s a budget tool, but seems well built. One of the most often used tools in the shop .

View whitebeast88's profile

-- Marty.Athens,AL

View eddie's profile

eddie

#3 posted 06-16-2013 05:19 PM

welcome to LJ ,i have the same saw its ok and has did what it was suppose to but neve got it completly square but it close enough for a a decent cut

-- Jesus Is Alright with me

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#4 posted 06-18-2013 05:31 PM

Welcome to Lumberjocks!
I own the new style of HF 12” double compound sliding. I love the thing, after I got rid of a runout issue that was caused by washers that were on the blade shaft for some strange reason.
I looked at the Ryobi – looks like a pretty good unit.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View Kirk Hutcherson's profile

Kirk Hutcherson

#5 posted 06-19-2013 04:34 AM

I have the same saw. It works great!

-- Kirk

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

#6 posted 06-20-2013 04:38 PM

I had this same saw, loved for the 1st year hated it after that. It would not stay into alignment no longer than a month at a time. I’d saw a board and look at it and then go “why is that bevel there?” I hope you have better luck than I did. Sorry to sound negative, just sayin’

-- Mike

View MarkTheFiddler's profile

MarkTheFiddler

1907 posts in 934 days

#7 posted 06-20-2013 09:37 PM

I had a problem with the fence warping after a lot of heavy use. I’m going to rebuild the fence when I get around to it. In the meantime, It just sits there looking lonely.

-- Thanks for all the lessons!