When It's Working... It's Great

Review by Matthew Parker posted 06-16-2013 05:43 AM 3630 views 1 time favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
When It's Working... It's Great When It's Working... It's Great No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this saw in September 2012 and have used it extensively since then and feel that it’s time for a review, especially after the most recent incident.

First of all when the saw is working correctly it is great. I get great looking resaws with both 1/2” and 3/4” blades. I have not used it for many curves such as you would do for a bandsaw box so I won’t evaluate it there.

I setup the saw based on the instructions in this video why Grizzly does not outline this method in their instructions I’ll never know but they definitely should. when calibrated the saw cuts straight rips and mostly wobble free resaws. The saw has plenty of power for the 7” resaw capability and probably would be acceptable for larger resaw if you were patient.

Now the troubles.
1. The first time I turned the saw on after building per instructions there was a terrible clanging coming from the lower housing area. I fiddled around but could not determine the problem myself(In retrospect I should have found the problem). A call to tech support revealed that the guy doing the assembly must have taken a nab as he forgot to tighten the bolts that hold the lower pulley to the lower wheel. We got those tightened up and the saw was up and running. The tech support was helpful at least but I did have to take time off work to work through the issue with the tech.
2.I dont know when it was but very early on the blade tensioning dial stopped working. I found a workaround using a wrench but I really should not have to use a workaround. I deal with it since I don’t really want to have to take time off work to come home and run through the issue with tech spport.
3. This latest issue is what finally drove me to write this article. A couple weeks ago the saw got loud and the blade started moving in and out. I went through the various adjustments but did not find anything. Then I removed the upper wheel and found that one of the two upper bearings was completely shot and would sieze and un-sieze randomly. Since the saw is under warranty I could file a claim and wait for them to ship out new parts but they would be the same crappy bearings that were in there in the first place. I went ahead and bought some nice replacements from mcmaster which will be here a day after I order them.

In summary. If you are looking for an inexpensive saw that cuts great get the G0555LX as long as you go into it knowing that you may have to deal with a few hiccups along the way.

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#1 posted 06-16-2013 09:54 AM

seems you got a clunker..I’ve had the Go55 for years and no problem at all. I’ve also had other grizzly tools that had issues from the get-go. They seem to have problems with quality control.

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

View rustfever's profile

rustfever

639 posts in 2056 days

#2 posted 06-16-2013 10:09 AM

Wow. I had nearly the same problems with my late i8” Griz BS. I say ‘Late’ as I found it a new home, far, far away.

-- Rustfever, Central California

View Bogeyguy's profile

Bogeyguy

#3 posted 06-16-2013 02:15 PM

Hiccups? I would call what you describe more than hiccups. Thanks for the review. This would direct me away from Grizzly tools.

-- Art, Pittsburgh.

View Howie's profile

Howie

#4 posted 06-16-2013 05:31 PM

Sorry for your issues. That’s a pretty good looking saw from the pictures. I have a GO555extreme that has been great from the get go(over 5 years). I do find the bearing on the guides needs blown off with some compressed air once in a while or they get noisy .

-- Life is good.

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

#5 posted 06-16-2013 08:30 PM

#1 mine is not Grizzly but had the same issue. #2 do you suppose the gauge is just fouled with dust? #3 parts fail occasionally, it is just something we have to get used to.

That Alex Snodgrass video turned me and my bandsaw into great friends.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

#6 posted 06-17-2013 03:24 AM

Bogeyguy: I have three Grizzly machines and this BS is the only one hat has given me trouble so far. Grizzly offers a fantastic value much of the time.

Howie: It is a good looking and working saw most of the time. If it were the guide bearings that were the problem i would have considered it normal wear. The main wheel bearings shold last much more than 9 months.

Jumbojack: not a gauge issue.

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

#7 posted 06-17-2013 09:48 PM

I guess my impression is quite odd. So, it’s not that an economical band saw.

View SirFatty's profile

SirFatty

#8 posted 06-18-2013 03:21 PM

I was looking into a Grizzly, but this gives me pause. Although I agree parts will fail, this saw is way too young for this type of failure. QC issue for sure.

-- Visit my blog at dave.spalla.com

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#9 posted 06-18-2013 05:40 PM

My G0513X2BF has been nothing but perfect from day one. I resaw logs on it about once a month, had it for almost a year now. It is my fifth Grizzly item, a 15” spiralhead planer being the first, then the saw, then two hanging air filters, then a small four jaw chuck for my HF lathe. All of it has run well.

It would seem you got a lemon. We all been there. Craftsman seems to be my bugaboo brand.
If I was you I probably would not buy another Grizzly, either.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

15304 posts in 1934 days

#10 posted 06-20-2013 10:40 AM

I have the same saw for yrs now, with no problem. I put the riser kit on it as well. Seems you got a lemon. Good luck.

View SouthpawCA's profile

SouthpawCA

256 posts in 1979 days

#11 posted 06-21-2013 12:19 AM

I’ve had the same saw with a riser for about a year. The only issue I’ve had was the fan motor housing was dented when I got it. Seems many others have had the same issue, but was immediately handled by Grizzly. As for the tension scale I use the push the blade method to determine if there is enough tension. It’s the way I was taught and is used in the Snodgrass video as well.

I’ve purchased a number of Grizzly tools and wouldn’t hesitate to purchase more in the future.

BTW … change out the blade that came with the saw. Better yet, try it once and the replace it and try the new blade. The difference is amazing.

-- Don

View papajohn54's profile

papajohn54

#12 posted 06-21-2013 09:34 AM

I too have the same saw with the riser. I’ve it about a year now, and have no problems with it. I have done everything from jig-saw puzzles to re-sawing. In fact, just today I added about 30 bd. ft. of maple, I’ve had drying on the side of the house for about 2 years. Everything from 12/4 X 8 down to 4/4 X 4, ranging from 24” to 60”. I also agree that the supplied blade is junk, For re-sawing I just use a 1/2” skip tooth blade.

-- John, Washington,

View Straightbowed's profile

Straightbowed

#13 posted 06-25-2013 07:47 PM

when I bought my Rikon 10 345 I cabbaged some really good bearings from work and after awhile I put them on I don’t know the name but they really felt good when I put them on and I haven’t had any problems since, I had 3 bearings go out so the ones I have now are working very well I think they are double roll with a steel cap they really are smooth I guess you have to buy a saw then do some rework to it when you set it up, I went ahead and welded quite a few spots on mine cause I really didn’t like the looks of the welds kinda went over the whole saw there are things that will not hold up on some says you just have to read through the post and reviews and figure what kinda of super tuneup you need before you start sawing

-- Stevo, work in tha city woodshop in the country

#14 posted 06-25-2013 08:15 PM

Well I’m happy to report that with the replacement of the upper wheel bearings the saw is running better and quieter than ever. The bearings are a standard 6202 size that I ordered from mcmaster.com. The bearings are also easy to replace so if you are considering the replacement yourself I would say have at it. All you need is a hammer, screwdriver and a block of wood.

My rating still stands because I do not think that I should have to do this type of maintenance after only nine months of use.

View Straightbowed's profile

Straightbowed

#15 posted 06-28-2013 03:19 AM

some people buy new cars and tear them down and build them like they want, just sayin I do the same with my tools buy them refine them and get rid of the problems

-- Stevo, work in tha city woodshop in the country