The best book on power-tool joinery

Review by Loren posted 06-01-2008 07:57 PM 2769 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The best book on power-tool joinery No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have a lot of woodworking books. About 60 of them.

Yeung Chan’s book is one of the best and most practical
of them all. He shows several ways to make each joint
so even with a modestly equipped shop you’ll be able
to make quality joints.

Yeung’s jig designs are great too. They aren’t complicated
or hard to build and he explains how to make sure they
are accurate.

Gary Rogowski also wrote some great books about
making joints – but if you get just one get Classic Joints

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

#1 posted 06-01-2008 08:08 PM

I second this.

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#2 posted 06-01-2008 11:14 PM

This is a very good book. I used it to make my horizontal mortiser after the one described in the book. I made a change to the set up for the board that mounts the router, to make it easier to adjust. I bolted the board to the base of the jig and installed a jack screw assembly to raise and lower the height of the bit. (not a real good photo)

#3 posted 06-02-2008 12:05 PM

Thanks for the review. I will have to look into reading this book.

View Schummie's profile

Schummie

#4 posted 06-03-2008 05:42 PM

Hey Loren,

thanks for your review and also for you review on the Festool router.
You said that you have 60 woodworking books, can you make a top 10 off your
most valuable books for me (if you have time) I’m also a woodworking book lover, and because off
my illness, and because I’m most off the day on my bed, I love to look in woodworking books.
I have a subscription on Fine Woodworking and Popular Woodworking and when I have not to mutts pain,
I reed them till the last letter, I understand not everything but it is great to see how the things do.
I’m still a beginner and I love to learn from the real woodworkers.

If there is somebody who want to sell some great woodworking books, send me a message.

Thanks again Loren and greetings from the Netherlands,

Schummie

-- Greetings from the Netherlands.

View johnjoiner's profile

johnjoiner

#5 posted 06-03-2008 07:00 PM

I’ve been thinking about the possibility of making a decent horizontal mortiser. I will check this book out.

-- johnjoiner

#6 posted 01-04-2009 09:52 PM

Hi Loren
Good review . I have Gary Rogowskis book “Joinery ” I think it’s the best book on Joinery I have in 200 books.
So Now I have to Get Classic Joints with power tools to compare. It’s always good to keep an open mind that way you get new knowledge and in this case another book . Half.com has it for $11.49

Jim