Pretty good for the price!

Review by Sodabowski posted 407 days ago 1534 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Pretty good for the price! Pretty good for the price! Pretty good for the price! Click the pictures to enlarge them

So I was tired of my crappy U-frame saw, made of steel tubing, having hacked it as much as I could to improve – that’s a lesser word – the blade locking mechanism. It kept twisting blades on me and they snapped too easily. So I litterally tossed it out and settled to raid eBay, in search for a better saw frame.

I had already purchased several times from the Proops Bros, and had noticed they carried a wide array of hardware, all made by themselves in the UK. And so I shelled out the £6.95 plus £3 postage for France, and a few other things (which didn’t graduate to my standards, but that’s another story). A week later the parcel comes in, bubblewrap and all.

Let me tell you straight: I love this little saw! It’s sturdy, once locked it doesn’t move (unlike the U-shaped ones), it adjusts to any blade length you have up to 6 1/2” (16,5 cm) down to as small as 1 1/4” (3,5 cm) if you’re really on a budget and you can’t buy new blades after the last one broke on you. Sure would be quite a thing to saw with something so small but you get the point: adjustability, which I didn’t have before.

The handle is a standard round handsaw one: plain boring white wood, but it’s decent enough for the calling price (could be a chisel handle). If you really pull hard enough (I didn’t try but it’s sturdily attached) you can certainly take it out and replace it with your own fancy pants handle turned out of solid mahogany from a parasol stick (Mads, are you reading me? ;p)

The blade is firlmy held between two rather large square nuts (11×11mm, 7/16” by), knurled on the inside for a nice grip on the blade, along with large flat thumbscrews: very comfortable to use, not like the wing nuts of the old (25€!) crap that I had before.

Frame length is adjusted by a 9/16” (16 mm) deeply knurled thumb screw, again really easy to adjust and once it’s locked in, nothing moves at all.

So if you’re shopping around for a nice little frame saw for small-scale veneer cutting (or if like me you plan on building a small tabletop chevalet to go around it), you can check this one out.

2001 posts in 1431 days

View poopiekat's profile (online now)

poopiekat

where can people in North America get them?

2001 posts in 1431 days

Well, check their website, I don’t know their postage fees for N.A, but they don’t overdo it, and Royal Mail is cheaper than USPS anyway :)

Dominik Matus

it looks like high quality saw. I am using Pichrt saws, it’s Czech brand. Their saws are very strong and light. See here http://www.pichrt.com/html/pilky.html (in Czech).

Dominik Matus

http://www.pichrt.com/html/pilkyen.html it is in english too.

2001 posts in 1431 days

Eww, that’s exactly the kind of saw I had before… the design itself is flawed because it flexes

Dominik Matus

You are right, but this (your) type of saw is useless for me, because It has a small frame. I’m often sawing big pieces of wood.

View Jamie Speirs's profile

Jamie Speirs

Dominik have you tried the Eclipse Range
Solid steel frame mine is 50 years old and I have
a 4 year old one, the difference is the new one is blue
not chrome

Jamie

-- Who is the happiest of men? He who values the merits of others, and in their pleasure takes joy, even as though 'twere his own. --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Dominik Matus

I meant this type. I need big frame to width. I’m very satisfied with this.

2001 posts in 1431 days

Yep, the opening of the one from Proops is too small for big projects. I guess the one you bought from Pichrt is made of higher quality/strength steel than the crap I used before. As long as it doesn’t flex on you and break blades :)

Dominik Matus

Yes, it’s very high quality, made of steel tube. I tried to blend it, but nothing happenned. I sawed metres with it and blades are breaking only because of material.

View horologist's profile

horologist

Thomas,
Interesting your saw appears to be a modern equivalent of this one. These saws are great, I buy them when I can and have an assortment that I keep set up with different blades.

For projects requiring more depth I also have these. I prefer this style over the tubular ones as you get more control over the blade tension and the frames are stiffer.

An extreme example, I haven’t really worked with this one and need to make a proper toggle for the saw, a future small shop project. When I bought the saw I had reservations about getting proper blade tension and it may well be that it won’t be very useful.

-- Troy in Melrose, Florida

2001 posts in 1431 days

Ah Troy, the last one is a well-used model, it’s been around for ages and if memory serves it was the first design that allowed for tensioning of the blade. Mads made a similar one some time ago, and believe me (I have a very old one at the parents’ ) you can tension it so much that you can actually crack the arms.

The 6” throat version looks great for medium scale work!