Masterforce 12" Drill Press Review

Review by 03roadking posted 06-12-2013 07:48 AM 5553 views 0 times favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Masterforce 12" Drill Press Review Masterforce 12" Drill Press Review Masterforce 12" Drill Press Review Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had bought some windows through menards while they were having an 11% rebate promo going on. When the rebate arrived I decided I was going to buy a drill press with it. Out of all the drill presses that Menards carries this one seemed like the best one to me. The only other options were Performax and Tool Shop.

So far it has done everything I need it to do. I especially like how you do not have to change belts to change the speed. The light is a nice feature and the laser helps get you close. Fit and finish is not amazing but that is not a big deal to me. Havent noticed any slop or Runout.

Product Description
12” Masterforce┬« Drill Press With Laser Guide

4.8 Amp motor
Laser guide and integrated LED light
Digital display of speed
Cast iron table with roller extension
Mechanical Variable Speed 530-3100 RPM

Vendor: MasterForce

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#1 posted 06-12-2013 11:21 AM

Nice detailed review, thanks.
Now go build a table for that puppy. :-)

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View abie's profile

abie

#2 posted 06-12-2013 01:50 PM

Footnote:

Makita is the manufacture of the power tools sold at Menards using the Masterforce brand. It is Makita,s way of getting more company sales to help the companies bottom line in revenue (sales). This from a regional sales manager from Makita. R.F. Midwest region

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#3 posted 06-12-2013 05:17 PM

very nice!

How much did that set you back?

Can you take a picture with the top open? I’d love to see how the variable speed works.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

1113 posts in 1901 days

#4 posted 06-12-2013 05:54 PM

Looks like a nice drill press. All the features I would be looking for.

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies and the wall gets in the way.. - Mike -

View Mosquito's profile

Mosquito

#5 posted 06-12-2013 06:13 PM

I’ve been keeping an eye on the Master Force drill press. Been wanting a drill press for a while. Menards also sells Rikon drill presses (and other various power tools), but it’s not very well known. They’re all special order.

Thanks for taking the time to post the review

-- Mos - Twin Cities, MN -- Stanley #45 Evangelist - www.youtube.com/MosquitoMods

#6 posted 06-12-2013 07:53 PM

”you do not have to change belts to change the speed. The light is a nice feature and the laser helps get you close.”
“Nice detailed review, thanks”. LOL Nitewalker : )
I guess the photos tell us everything but the price, chuck size , motor h.p., etc..
Going to go find the spec’s online , I hope : )

The photos make it look like a nice press. How long have you been using it ?

#7 posted 06-12-2013 08:40 PM

@Maniac $229 I will see what I can do on the pic with the top open.
@Mosquito I did not know Menards carries Rikon. Thanks for the Info
@dusty http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/drill-presses/12-masterforce-drill-press/p-1498047-c-10086.htm :) 2 months

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#8 posted 06-12-2013 10:25 PM

I have had this same drill press for nearly two years now … http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/2509 ... still going strong! I am a happy camper with this purchase.

View RonInOhio's profile

RonInOhio

#9 posted 06-12-2013 11:59 PM

The horsepower is roughly .70 . Or just under 3/4 horsepower.

Since Current (4.8 amps) times Volts (110 ) = 538 Watts.

There are ~ 746 Watts in 1 horsepower.

538/746 = .70

This is all assuming the 4.8 amps is the working amperage and not something else. Like the startup
current draw.

Visually, the motor looks robust enough , certainly more than a 1/2 horsepower.

View lab7654's profile

lab7654

#10 posted 06-13-2013 12:22 AM

I watched this for a while and bought it during another 11% rebate sale. I was trying to wait for a sale, but the price actually bumped up from $200 to $220, and now it looks like it’s up to $230. Now that I have it, they seem to go on sale occasionally for $180-200. It’s a nice drill press for the money, and I have no complaints. Mine sits on a dedicated stand that sits just a few inches lower than my bench, since this is almost a cross between a bench and floor model. The variable speed couldn’t be any easier and the digital readout makes it even better. Definitely build a table and eighty-six that fence it comes with. The table is too much of a metalworking table and collects sawdust in the grooves.

-- Tristin King -- When in doubt, sand it.

View bdjohns1's profile

bdjohns1

#11 posted 06-13-2013 12:45 AM

@Mainiac Matt – the variable speed function is based on a Reeves pulley (variable diameter) system. Similar to how some lathes adjust.

I think I mentioned this when TheDane posted his review a while back, but this drill press is basically identical to one of Jet’s smaller drill presses (the JDP-12, if I remember right). Just a different paint job.

One interesting note – I looked at the specs for the bearings used on this drill, and they actually look pretty good and are actually rated for radial loads like a milling machine, so you might be able to slap an XY table on it for lightweight metal/wood milling tasks.

-- Ben - resident cheese whiz.

#12 posted 06-13-2013 03:48 AM

Sounds like a wise purchase that will pay off off for a considerable time

-- Norman

View Edwardnorton's profile

Edwardnorton

#13 posted 06-13-2013 05:49 AM

I would buy this also if I needed one! This is what brand name tools do when they can’t see their overly priced brand name tools. Just the reason I buy Black and Decker cordless tools, they are Dewalts consumer tools. I have literally bought a B and D and a Dewalt of the same style and put the guts from the Dewalt into the B and D shell just to prove it. GREAT BUY!

-- EdwardNorton

#14 posted 06-13-2013 07:40 PM

Thanks for the link , “03”
Further checking indicates the motor is 2/3 H.P..

#15 posted 06-13-2013 09:51 PM