I can't believe these are 8 bucks

Review by lumberjoe posted 318 days ago 2134 views 3 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I can't believe these are 8 bucks No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I didn’t feel like making my own bench dogs, I also didn’t feel like paying tons of money for them. In one of my many recent trips to woodcraft, I saw these and decided to try them out

The Good They work. They fit snugly in the 3/4” holes I drilled and laid flat on the bench top. They are nylon, but appear to be very strong. I clamped down on my vise way more than I needed to a few times to see if they would crack or give. They didn’t. The flat faces are just the right size to hold effectively when planing. There are also small points on the top of each one that are used similarly to painters pyramids and allow tiny contact points when finishing.

The Awesome The rubber “bench brakes” that are included. They turn your bench dogs into “bench cookies” which is nice for freehand routing and sanding. They are removable if you need the extra space for planing thinner stock. My favorite feature is you can stick them directly in a 3/4” dog hole without using the dog. This is great for using something like a router plane where you don’t want to raise the work piece too much.

The bad Well, they aren’t brass and fancy looking, and you can’t brag about how much they cost.

Overall I can’t believe I even considered anything else. Kreg put a lot of functionality into a little package that costs less than most fast food value meals for a set of 4. If you need some bench dogs or are looking to upgrade the set you have, check these out.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

Haha! Well forget about them, then. :-) I might have to pick some up next time I’m at Woodcraft.

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

View MrFid's profile

MrFid

Second this review. These dogs are like every other Kreg product I have ever used… highest quality. Plus, they don’t mar (marr?) the workpiece like the brass knurled ones can.

-- Bailey F - Eastern Mass.

View Don W's profile

Don W

Thanks for the review Joe. For $8 I would be foolish to keep buying 3/4” dowels.

-- There is nothing like the sound of a well tuned hand plane. - http://timetestedtools.wordpress.com (timetestedtools at hotmail dot c0m)

Nice review , Joe : )

-- When you arrive at my front door, please knock softly but firmly. I like soft , firm, knockers : )

View Beaver_Lumber's profile

Beaver_Lumber

Got to agree with this review. I also own a set too. I was eager to get those from Veritas but wanted 4. At 22$ per pair, that was a whopping 44$. A little too much at my taste. One of my friend is a Kreg dealer and showed me those little buddies when he got them last year. At 8$, I decided to give these a try and was confident that I would not loose much if they didn’t perform as expected. They proved me wrong! Talk about a well invested 8$ instead…

-- Patrick - A beaver is like a woodworker because it needs to have wood between its paws

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

Thanks for the review!
I’m grabbing a set just because they’re blue. :-p

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View bobasaurus's profile (online now)

bobasaurus

They look really nice. Do they have a spring to keep them in place for oversized holes?

-- Allen, Colorado

View Buckethead's profile

Buckethead

Nice share! Now to build a serviceable workbench…

-- Hi. My name is bucket head and I'm a recovering framing carpenter.

View BentheViking's profile

BentheViking

Ive seen these before but never really thought much about them…good to know

-- It's made of wood. Real sturdy.--Chubbs Peterson

View CessnaPilotBarry's profile

CessnaPilotBarry

Nice review! These look handy!

Don’t forget, for the cost of two hanger bolts, two wing nuts, and a piece of scrap, you can add pop-up stops to your bench…

Not mine, found on the web….

-- It's all good, if it's wood...

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

Thanks for sharing Joe. Good review and I plan on picking up a set next time I’m in there.

-- "Actions speak louder than words but not nearly as often." - Mark Twain

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

I have the same set and think they’re great.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View Bampei's profile

Bampei

Currently $11.95 and free shipping via Amazon (Set of 4)

www.amazon.com/KREG-4-Piece-Bench-Kreg-KKS1070/dp/B0073DRU82/

-- I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

The seller in the $11.95 listing is hartville tool.

Amazon has them for $7.99 shipped if you’re a prime member.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

I have a set and love them! I like that they are plastic because it won’t mess up your plane iron if you hit one by mistake. Great review!