I can't believe these are 8 bucks

Review by lumberjoe posted 06-10-2013 08:57 PM 2738 views 3 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I can't believe these are 8 bucks No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I didn’t feel like making my own bench dogs, I also didn’t feel like paying tons of money for them. In one of my many recent trips to woodcraft, I saw these and decided to try them out

The Good They work. They fit snugly in the 3/4” holes I drilled and laid flat on the bench top. They are nylon, but appear to be very strong. I clamped down on my vise way more than I needed to a few times to see if they would crack or give. They didn’t. The flat faces are just the right size to hold effectively when planing. There are also small points on the top of each one that are used similarly to painters pyramids and allow tiny contact points when finishing.

The Awesome The rubber “bench brakes” that are included. They turn your bench dogs into “bench cookies” which is nice for freehand routing and sanding. They are removable if you need the extra space for planing thinner stock. My favorite feature is you can stick them directly in a 3/4” dog hole without using the dog. This is great for using something like a router plane where you don’t want to raise the work piece too much.

The bad Well, they aren’t brass and fancy looking, and you can’t brag about how much they cost.

Overall I can’t believe I even considered anything else. Kreg put a lot of functionality into a little package that costs less than most fast food value meals for a set of 4. If you need some bench dogs or are looking to upgrade the set you have, check these out.

-- Unplugged Woodworkers - https://www.facebook.com/groups/213418935481974/

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

#1 posted 06-10-2013 09:40 PM

Haha! Well forget about them, then. :-) I might have to pick some up next time I’m at Woodcraft.

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

View MrFid's profile

MrFid

#2 posted 06-10-2013 09:56 PM

Second this review. These dogs are like every other Kreg product I have ever used… highest quality. Plus, they don’t mar (marr?) the workpiece like the brass knurled ones can.

-- Bailey F - Eastern Mass.

View Don W's profile

Don W

#3 posted 06-10-2013 10:02 PM

Thanks for the review Joe. For $8 I would be foolish to keep buying 3/4” dowels.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

#4 posted 06-10-2013 10:31 PM

Nice review , Joe : )

View Beaver_Lumber's profile

Beaver_Lumber

#5 posted 06-10-2013 10:49 PM

Got to agree with this review. I also own a set too. I was eager to get those from Veritas but wanted 4. At 22$ per pair, that was a whopping 44$. A little too much at my taste. One of my friend is a Kreg dealer and showed me those little buddies when he got them last year. At 8$, I decided to give these a try and was confident that I would not loose much if they didn’t perform as expected. They proved me wrong! Talk about a well invested 8$ instead…

-- Patrick - A beaver is like a woodworker because it needs to have wood between its paws

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#6 posted 06-10-2013 11:15 PM

Thanks for the review!
I’m grabbing a set just because they’re blue. :-p

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

1599 posts in 2029 days

#7 posted 06-10-2013 11:30 PM

They look really nice. Do they have a spring to keep them in place for oversized holes?

-- Allen, Colorado

View Buckethead's profile

Buckethead

#8 posted 06-10-2013 11:31 PM

Nice share! Now to build a serviceable workbench…

-- Support woodworking hand models. Buy me a sawstop.

View BentheViking's profile

BentheViking

#9 posted 06-10-2013 11:41 PM

Ive seen these before but never really thought much about them…good to know

-- It's made of wood. Real sturdy.--Chubbs Peterson

View OggieOglethorpe's profile

OggieOglethorpe

#10 posted 06-11-2013 12:03 AM

Nice review! These look handy!

Don’t forget, for the cost of two hanger bolts, two wing nuts, and a piece of scrap, you can add pop-up stops to your bench…

Not mine, found on the web….

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

#11 posted 06-11-2013 01:06 AM

Thanks for sharing Joe. Good review and I plan on picking up a set next time I’m in there.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#12 posted 06-11-2013 01:45 AM

I have the same set and think they’re great.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View Bampei's profile

Bampei

#13 posted 06-11-2013 06:27 AM

Currently $11.95 and free shipping via Amazon (Set of 4)

www.amazon.com/KREG-4-Piece-Bench-Kreg-KKS1070/dp/B0073DRU82/

-- "Winter is Coming"...but not until April on HBO! sigh.......

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#14 posted 06-11-2013 11:50 AM

The seller in the $11.95 listing is hartville tool.

Amazon has them for $7.99 shipped if you’re a prime member.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#15 posted 06-11-2013 12:22 PM

I have a set and love them! I like that they are plastic because it won’t mess up your plane iron if you hit one by mistake. Great review!