2 Great Glue Brushes - Rockler and Betty Crocker

Review by Denco posted 436 days ago 1783 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
2 Great Glue Brushes - Rockler and Betty Crocker 2 Great Glue Brushes - Rockler and Betty Crocker No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought a Rockler glue brush and it works great, just as advertised. When the glue dries, you can peel it off. Easy to clean, spreads well.

However….I was in the dollar store one day and they had Betty Crocker basting brushes….for a buck each. My curiosity got the best of me (you know where I’m going with this). I decided to do a comparison….head to head….for the title of “Best Glue Brush”. I trimmed the Betty Crocker brush so the bristles (?) are about the same length.

Rockler: Spreads great, spatula works great. Narrow, smaller bristles, easier to get into tighter places. Peeling dried glue off over the last 6 mos has caused one or two bristles to break off, but nothing drastic. Current cost at time of this review: $5.

Betty Crocker: Spreads great, no spatula. Wider brush, easier to spread on larger areas. Peeling dried glue off over the last 6 mos has not resulted in any bristles breaking off. Current cost at the dollar store: $1.

Overall, I like both brushes, so it’s a tie. Both have their strong points. I guess the moral of the story is that there are great low cost options to some woodworking accessories out there when we keep our eyes open…....just don’t brush the bar-b-que sauce on the steaks with the Betty Crocker brush after using it for glue….....unless you peel the dried glue off first. (I know, I know, but I couldn’t resist saying it). —Den

-- Cut wood or cut weeds today.....well, 6ft weeds can go another week.

View Denco's profile

Denco

View DIYaholic's profile

DIYaholic

Great comparison! Why spend money on accessories, when it can be better spent on more tools, wood or beer???Thanks for the heads up.

BTW: My warning is….
Don’t spread BBQ sauce on the hickory!!!

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procratination a bad thing?

View Pete_Jud's profile

Pete_Jud

I went the Dollar store route as well, for the spatula I use the demo credit cards I get in the mail all the time.

-- Life is to short to own an ugly boat.

View Randy Sharp's profile

Randy Sharp

Denco, thanks for the review. I was ready to buy the Rockler brush online last week, but changed my mind after the shipping charges popped up. I couldn’t justify the extra cost.

Your post is very much appreciated here!

-- Randy, Tupelo, MS ~ A man who honors his wife will have children who honor their father.

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

Funny. I went the betty crocker route as well. I just didn’t see the difference. I bought four. I also bought the silicone dough cutter (I think that’s what it is called) and use that for wide areas. It works well and I am for five bucks for all pieces. I just don’t know why you would buy anything else. y

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do

View emart's profile

emart

nice reminds me of how art stores charge much more for their “official” accessories when they can be had anywhere else for a fraction of the cost.

-- tools are only as good as the hands that hold them https://www.custommade.com/by/emeraldcrafts/

View Howie's profile

Howie

Good tip on the brushes.

-- Life is good.

View Denco's profile

Denco

“Here’s another “dollar store” gem. The plastic cutting boards. Usually $1.00. I use them to make base plates for my different routers for things like “hogging” out lazy susans etc. where you need a wide base plate.
Good tip on the brushes.”

——That is an excellent tip! I’m going to try it. Way to go, Howie!

-- Cut wood or cut weeds today.....well, 6ft weeds can go another week.

View themelster's profile

themelster

I use old plastic coated playing cards for spreading glue, can cut to desired size and I am recycling taboot.