Very Happy with this Dust Collector

Review by Denco posted 414 days ago 3795 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Very Happy with  this Dust Collector No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Between sale price and coupon, the price was low enough that I took the plunge and bought the HF 2HP DC.

—Starting with assembly:—

You end up doing quite of bit of assembly with this unit, not just 2 or 3 connections.

The very first thing I did when unpacking the unit was to plug the motor in to make sure it ran. I didn’t want to assemble the whole thing and then discover the motor didn’t work. It fired right up, no problems. I’ve seen talk on the internet that the motor can be wired for 220v, but it’s a 115v motor, not 220v.

The casters were solid, the base plate is painted metal (black). The main bag for the hardware (screws/nuts/bolts, etc) was ripped, so I spent a few minutes digging it all out of the crevices of the box. It was all there barring a couple of screws and bolts. Fortunately, I had what was missing. The overall paint job on the unit was pretty good.

I could make a bunch of jokes, but I’ll state that the instructions aren’t written well at all and will leave it at that. But between the instructions and looking at the exploded diagram at the end of the manual, it was all logical enough. The assembly is involved, but wasn’t really difficult. I went slow (mostly because it was Saturday and I was still tired from a week of overtime at work).

The manual speaks of bolting the collector supports (item #14 in the expl diagram) and then tightening the nuts underneath. However, the holes in the black base plate are threaded and no nuts were supplied. This isn’t reflected in the manual. The bolt protrudes through the plate enough that nuts could be added. I’m thinking I will do this as the supports, while reasonably secured, still have a little sway. This makes one want to be careful when pulling the DC around by the supplied handle.

One thing I would suggest that when mounting the fan housing (item #38 on the exploded diagram), loosely bolt the “motor base” (item #5 on the exploded diagram) to the fan housing THEN bolt down the fan housing to the black base. Bolt the “motor base” to the black base, then tighten up the bolts that you loosely bolted the “motor base” to fan housing. Keeps everything lined up. Makes it easier. Manual isn’t that clear about this. Again, the manual speaks of tightening the nuts when mounting the fan housing and motor base to the black base plate, but the holes are threaded in the black base and no nuts were supplied.

When connecting the bottom collection bag, there are 3 little black tabs riveted to the separator that are supposed to hold the bottom collection bag while you install the clamp. The tabs don’t do a good job of holding the bag, but 3 or 4 small pieces of masking tape held the bag just fine until the clamp was on. I would suggest doing this. It made clamping the bag easy.

Unit comes with a 5 micron bag. Many have suggested replacing with a 1 micron bag (available on Amazon.com for ~ $25 at the time of this review). I’ve ordered it and it’s on it’s way
—-Operation—-

The Inlet is 4” and I hooked it up to my BT3100 table saw using a 2-1/2” hose. (I have 4” hose on order).

I fired up the unit. It’s not that loud, considering. I ran some cuts on MDF and cedar. I must admit that I was really impressed. There wasn’t any dust on the saw table and I could see it circulating around in the collection bag. It definitely out performed my shop vac/cyclone can combo. My shop vac was one of the bigger units and did a good job in the past. The DC was a definite step up.

I’ve been using the DC for about a week now and it’s really performed well. It exceeded my expectations. If the DC continues to function w/o incident, I can definitely recommend it.

-- Cut wood or cut weeds today.....well, 6ft weeds can go another week.

View Denco's profile

Denco

View theoldfart's profile

theoldfart

I still use the cyclone can with my DC. It beats emptying that big bag, since it can be a pain when full.

-- "Aged flatus, I heard that some one has already blown out your mortise." THE Surgeon ……………………………………. Kevin

View Howie's profile

Howie

I just use a large “drum liner” for the bag and that way I don’t have to empty it,just throw it all away.
Usually just end up using magnets to hold it in place until I get the main band on.
I used this unit for four years and never had a problem(can’t say that for the delta unit I have also)
Do yourself a favor and buy you a Christmas Tree outdoor remote($14.99 at HD) See the posts about this item. Some argue it won’t work but it does and I’ve used it every day for at least six months. Very handy. I spent $49.95 on the one for the Delta and this one works just as good.
If this unit or the delta croaks I will buy another HF.

-- Life is good.

View Denco's profile

Denco

Excellent tips, Howie. I’ll keep them in mind. Thanks.

Kevin—I agree with still using the cyclone. I’m moving it and the shop vac over to my router table. Otherwise, I’d have used it with the table saw as well.

-- Cut wood or cut weeds today.....well, 6ft weeds can go another week.

View ctdahle's profile

ctdahle

I’ve been eying this dust collector for a while and I am wondering if it would be possible to mount the cyclone some where other than on the base? I want to put my DC in a lean-to shed outside of the shop and run it straight into a large duct that would run the width of the shop at ceiling height, and then to one or more blast gated flexible hose drops.

I guess what I am asking is, is there any reason why the cyclone has to be at floor level? Could it be placed in another location or in a different orientation?

View theoldfart's profile

theoldfart

Denco, I have the cyclone set up on the inlet side of my Grizley :

I then have a 4” flexible hose with quick release fittings to connect with all of my tools with tails

View MT_Stringer's profile

MT_Stringer

I also had trouble understanding the instruction manual. Mine turned out looking like this. :-)

I have since added the Wynn Nano Canister filter.

I also start/stop the motor with a cheep remote start.

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas

View LoydMoore's profile

LoydMoore

I didn’t have any problems with the instruction cause I didn’t bother looking at them. Just took a couple pictures of the assembled display unit, sorted the hardware and went to work. Took about an hour.

Run it through my Theine style separator. Had it for 6 months and I have emptied the separator can four times. Only about half a gallon of dust in the DC bag.

-- Loyd, San Angelo, TX http:www.moorewoodenboxes.com

I have my eye on his DC for teh price to go down on sale here

-- Norman

View Roger's profile

Gr8 collector for a gr8 price. I have the same one. Been using it for 7yrs or more. Have plans to “soup” it up when I get round to expanding my shop. You can usually find this on sale for 149 bux, and if you have a 20%coupon, it’s even more better

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

I do not have this Dc anymore, but then I had it , iy was working very well.

View aatwatch's profile

aatwatch

I purchased the HF unit as well after all the good reviews I read. It worked great for 6 weeks or so before the bearing starting failing. It would make a screeching noise as it powered down, becoming loudest right before it fully stopped. I had the receipt and was within my 90 days so HF swapped the motor assembly for me so I didn’t have to disassemble and assemble an entire new unit.

The second one kept getting clogged when using my planer because of the thin metal guards installed in the air intake port on the motor. This was strange because I never clogged with the last motor. Regardless, I took some tin snips and removed the “guard” and have had no more issues. I realize it is there to protect the plastic impeller but my cyclone takes care of that for me and frankly, the HF unit was $125 bucks.. I’m not rich but I am realistic..

Although it doesn’t sound like it from reading my post, I am happy overall.

View mjohnsonco's profile

mjohnsonco

I bought this recently after reading a review from Stumpy Nubs. I attached a Super Dust Deputy inline. The one upgrade I haven’t made (yet!) is replacing the filter bag with a canister. The suction is great and the noise is not terrible.

I agree that the instructions are almost worse than nothing. Allocate quite a bit of extra time to allow for creative interpretation of the assembly instructions.