Good jointer for a small workshop

Review by MoshupTrail posted 06-08-2013 05:47 PM 7563 views 3 times favorited 26 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good jointer for a small workshop Good jointer for a small workshop No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Got this after waiting quite a while for one to come in.
I have a 2-car garage and not enough room for a floor-standing jointer. So I had been looking for a good quality jointer that I could use in a small space.

Out of the box. Not bad. An awful lot of plastic bags with parts, but once I got started it only took about 1/2 hour to assemble. The directions were pitiful. Perhaps from an older model? I gave up on them quickly. It’s not difficult to figure everything out.

The one thing a jointer needs to do well is get the fence absolutely perpendicular to the bed. This took a lot of jiggering and fiddling. There’s a single set screw to adjust the angle, but it only works when the fence is loosened slightly. So when you tighten it back up, of course the angle shifts a bit.

Eventually I got it.

The dust port fits my Ridgid Shop Vac hose perfectly.

So I tried it out.

Sweet! The cut is just as smooth as a knife-blade jointer and its quieter.

Summary: This is a very nice little machine. Will work well in my small shop. They could have done a better job on the fence adjustments. But hopefully I don’t have to repeat that often.

-- Some problems are best solved with an optimistic approach. Optimism shines a light on alternatives that are otherwise not visible.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#1 posted 06-08-2013 06:40 PM

Where did you buy it?
How much was it?
How long is the bed?

Looks nice… must be really good with that Helical blade…

I’m surprised to hear that about the fence… I thought they were Woodworkers designing FOR Woodworkers… guess not…

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#2 posted 06-08-2013 07:46 PM

I’ve always been interested in the granite tools, but never had enough guts to actually order one. Looks like you got a winner!

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

#3 posted 06-08-2013 09:11 PM

I got this one at Lowe’s, but had to special order it. It took about 2 months to get in.
The bed is 30” long and sits 9” above the surface of my bench. Thinking I might build a special bench for it. But for now it works!

@Joe – I run a lot of oak and all it takes is a little knot and you’ve got a ding in a knife blade. I’m hoping this one, with the carbide blades, will hold up well. Other than that, the cut is about the same as a knife-blade planer. The granite is nice because you don’t have to worry about it rusting, and it doesn’t get sticky, like a steel bed.

View goethert's profile

goethert

#4 posted 06-08-2013 10:56 PM

I heard there are a couple of power tools that you never want on the bench top, the jointer is one of them.
Is it true?

View Mike's profile

Mike

#5 posted 06-09-2013 01:53 AM

I’ve had this same jointer for a year now and just love it! I agree with you on the adjusters for the fence…they need a better design. I love the granite top too. This thing is a little powerhouse & has done everything that I’ve thrown at it. I also built a set of infeed & outfeed rollers for doing longer stock. It cuts really nice too.

-- A person of integrity never speaks of it...he walks in it...

View eatsawdust's profile

eatsawdust

#6 posted 06-09-2013 02:57 AM

I have been debating getting one of these or a slightly bigger one with the granite (model 40630gh), thanks for the review, I just love Steel City tools, and I also like how you color coordinated the totes to match your jointer.

-- Why does everything I enjoy doing have to be bad for the environment, I work in the oil industry and enjoy working with exotic woods from rain forests

#7 posted 06-09-2013 04:27 AM

It resembles the Porter Cable and Delta models greatly. I have a Delta and it has done a very nice job for what I use it for

-- Norman

#8 posted 06-09-2013 08:50 PM

Hard to tell from your photo , but are the cutters only one sided ?
I was just reading on SawMill Creek that the cutters were only HSS and not carbide.
They also said that there are only 12 cutters in the head. Any confirmation or denial ?
I guess those Helical Heads vary in design quite a lot from the true Spiral heads.

#9 posted 06-09-2013 11:11 PM

I think they are 2-sided. Don’t know about HSS vs Carbide. But, its a great little machine regardless. You can see the quality of the cut in the photo. I can mount it on a small workbench with wheels and roll it out of the way easily when it’s not being used.

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

#10 posted 06-10-2013 12:31 AM

I live on the outskirts of Chicago and near by is the main warehouse that feeds the Midwestern part of the USA for Steel City Tools. So one day on craigslist I came a pond this ad for refurbished Steel City Tools and went to investigate I pick up this same jointer and the 13 inch planer, sold my Delta style two speed planer and just about got the planer for a even exchange. Your so right about getting the fence right but once set I haven’t had to tinker with it again. Here the site page on Craigslist http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/tls/3853009313.html I just took a closer look at your photo and see you have the same planer as well I really like this planer it crazy good on figured woods, one tip that I use is to moisten the piece of figured wood before planning by just wiping down with a damp rag result are no tear outs at all…BC

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

#11 posted 06-10-2013 12:43 AM

Dusty it has been just recently that they now offer the carbide cutters also this style cutter can only be rotated once so once you rotated you’ve just use your last cutting edge. Some of the higher end spiral heads have cutting edge on all four sides Steel City has cutting edge on only two sides that’s why these are not as pricey.

#12 posted 06-10-2013 03:47 AM

Thanks for the info , BC : )

View rustythebailiff's profile

rustythebailiff

#13 posted 06-26-2013 01:03 AM

I am planning on getting one next year. Just FYI, if you want a longer table, the granite tops for the floor model will fit the bench model. According to Steel City, they run $99 each, and give you an almost 4 foot long table!

-- "Necessity is the mother of invention"

#14 posted 06-26-2013 12:32 PM

That would be pretty cool. But you’d have to bolt it down for stability.
It also raises the price to pretty near the price of a floor-standing model.

View RibsBrisket4me's profile

RibsBrisket4me

#15 posted 07-15-2013 01:01 AM

Very interesting!! Looks like that might be the best bench top jointer on the market. Thanks for the review!

-- http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6255915