Scheppach Deco-Flex - a decent starter scrollsaw for an OK price

Review by Skiedra posted 05-31-2013 05:57 AM 2495 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Scheppach Deco-Flex - a decent starter scrollsaw for an OK price Scheppach Deco-Flex - a decent starter scrollsaw for an OK price No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

+ nice working capabilities
+ normal operating noise
+ large “throat” depth
+ takes both pin and pinless blades
+ the addons and the rotary tool is a perfect addition to a beginner scrollsawer. So you do not need to buy a dremel or any similar rotary tool

- bit painful process to change the blades. You have to rotate 3 screws, 2 on top, 1 at the bottom of the saw.
- you seriously need to bold it down, otherwise it moves
- attached rotating bit are a bit too “toyish”, but does some light sanding/drilling easily
- to change the blades, you have to tilt the table, and it takes effort to re-adjust the correct 90 degree angle
- throat depth is not big enough for larger templates.

For this price and as a starting scrollsaw, it fits me OK.

View Skiedra's profile

Skiedra

View stefang's profile

stefang

13044 posts in 1990 days

#1 posted 05-31-2013 08:31 AM

We have to be satisfied with what we have. My first scrollsaw was very basic and inconvenient in many ways, but I did manage to do a lot of fun work with it anyway. It sure beat sawing by hand.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Skiedra's profile

Skiedra

#2 posted 05-31-2013 09:02 AM

Mike, truly, it is way much better than sawing by hand.
I juest tried to write down some limitations. I.e. a templete with many inner cuts would be bit difficult to make.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#3 posted 05-31-2013 12:26 PM

My first one was I believe a Skilsaw that took about three-four minutes to change out a blade, had too aggressive a cut, and also had to be bolted down. But I loved every minute of it. Now I have owned the Delta for about 11 years, and that is all I will ever need.
Scroll on, brother!

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View stefang's profile

stefang

13044 posts in 1990 days

#4 posted 05-31-2013 08:02 PM

I have to admit that I wouldn’t appreciate my current good quality scroll saw if I hadn’t had a couple of lesser saws first. It’s all about relativity.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.