Quick changes and fast cutting

Review by Rick M. posted 327 days ago 1131 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Quick changes and fast cutting Quick changes and fast cutting Quick changes and fast cutting Click the pictures to enlarge them

This last year I’ve been doing more with metals and have been using my Dremel with two types of cut off wheels. One type cuts well but wears quickly, the other type is brittle and prone to exploding. Either way, changing wheels meant removing a screw from the mandrel, replacing the wheel and returning the screw. I spent more time screwing around than cutting.

The EZ lock mandrel and wheel starter kit was around $11 and is the bee’s knees for Dremel cutting. Wheel changes only take a second and the larger size wheel lasts longer and isn’t brittle. Earlier I used it to make several cuts through an allen key and it worked much better than the wheels that came with the Dremel.

View amagineer's profile

amagineer

Thanks Rick for the review, I will have to pick one up. I have the same problem with the disc’s breaking.
-don

-- Flaws are only in the eye of the artisan!

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

2024 posts in 542 days

A better wheel means better progress and saving time is great. Good point to bring up. Well done.

-- --Dave-- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams

View Derec's profile

Derec

Does it accept the old cutting discs also or does completely replace them?

Either way I am going have to get one. I am very familiar with exploding discs. My Dremel gets a lot use.

-- Derec

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

I really like mine, I’ve gone through 5 of the mandrels.
The disks come 2 at a time or 12 in a container, (I think). There are also other tools that work with the mandrel.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View taoist's profile

taoist

I’ve had one for about 5 years and they work great. About a year ago I bought a die grinder and now use it with cut off wheels just because they last a lot longer but the can’t do the smaller curves and intricate cutting the Dremel can.

Rick M.

@Derec, it only accepts the EZ type disc. The mandrel has a sort of double dovetail key.

Dallas, are the mandrels prone to breaking? I read some reviews where it happened. My cutting needs are pretty light so I’m hoping it doesn’t become a problem.

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

Yeah, the two locking pieces that protrude eventually get metal fatigue. I think even with light use it will eventually happen, but they are better than any alternative I’ve found.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

This is a lot better than the l o n g screws in the mandrel.

Rick, since you use a Dremel a lot, have you ever used the Dremel flexible shaft?

I was wondering if it is a worthwhile purchase.

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

Rick M.

Never used one, Hans. I’ve had this Dremel for about 17 years and had only used it a handful of times before last fall.

View Don W's profile

Don W

I use these quit a bit and agree Rick, they work pretty well.

-- There is nothing like the sound of a well tuned hand plane. - http://timetestedtools.wordpress.com (timetestedtools at hotmail dot c0m)

View stefang's profile

stefang

Old Novice I had a flexible shaft which eventually broke (my fault). It was very handy. I intend to buy a new one, but I keep forgetting to do it. Easier to maneuver and much lighter and easier for us old guys with arthritis. You should make or buy a hanger for the main tool, preferable something that is easy to move around to where you are working.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

stefang, thanks, I will need to check that out!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"