Quick changes and fast cutting

Review by Rick M. posted 05-25-2013 04:35 AM 1293 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Quick changes and fast cutting Quick changes and fast cutting Quick changes and fast cutting Click the pictures to enlarge them

This last year I’ve been doing more with metals and have been using my Dremel with two types of cut off wheels. One type cuts well but wears quickly, the other type is brittle and prone to exploding. Either way, changing wheels meant removing a screw from the mandrel, replacing the wheel and returning the screw. I spent more time screwing around than cutting.

The EZ lock mandrel and wheel starter kit was around $11 and is the bee’s knees for Dremel cutting. Wheel changes only take a second and the larger size wheel lasts longer and isn’t brittle. Earlier I used it to make several cuts through an allen key and it worked much better than the wheels that came with the Dremel.

View amagineer's profile

amagineer

#1 posted 05-25-2013 12:39 PM

Thanks Rick for the review, I will have to pick one up. I have the same problem with the disc’s breaking.
-don

-- Flaws are only in the eye of the artisan!

View doubleDD's profile (online now)

doubleDD

#2 posted 05-25-2013 01:00 PM

A better wheel means better progress and saving time is great. Good point to bring up. Well done.

-- --Dave, Downers Grove, Il. When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams

View Derec's profile

Derec

#3 posted 05-25-2013 04:08 PM

Does it accept the old cutting discs also or does completely replace them?

Either way I am going have to get one. I am very familiar with exploding discs. My Dremel gets a lot use.

-- Derec

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

#4 posted 05-25-2013 04:23 PM

I really like mine, I’ve gone through 5 of the mandrels.
The disks come 2 at a time or 12 in a container, (I think). There are also other tools that work with the mandrel.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View taoist's profile

taoist

#5 posted 05-25-2013 04:37 PM

I’ve had one for about 5 years and they work great. About a year ago I bought a die grinder and now use it with cut off wheels just because they last a lot longer but the can’t do the smaller curves and intricate cutting the Dremel can.

#6 posted 05-26-2013 12:44 AM

@Derec, it only accepts the EZ type disc. The mandrel has a sort of double dovetail key.

Dallas, are the mandrels prone to breaking? I read some reviews where it happened. My cutting needs are pretty light so I’m hoping it doesn’t become a problem.

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

#7 posted 05-26-2013 12:48 AM

Yeah, the two locking pieces that protrude eventually get metal fatigue. I think even with light use it will eventually happen, but they are better than any alternative I’ve found.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

3768 posts in 2025 days

#8 posted 05-26-2013 06:32 AM

This is a lot better than the l o n g screws in the mandrel.

Rick, since you use a Dremel a lot, have you ever used the Dremel flexible shaft?

I was wondering if it is a worthwhile purchase.

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

#9 posted 05-26-2013 07:24 AM

Never used one, Hans. I’ve had this Dremel for about 17 years and had only used it a handful of times before last fall.

View Don W's profile

Don W

#10 posted 05-26-2013 10:59 PM

I use these quit a bit and agree Rick, they work pretty well.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

View stefang's profile

stefang

13054 posts in 1992 days

#11 posted 05-28-2013 04:19 PM

Old Novice I had a flexible shaft which eventually broke (my fault). It was very handy. I intend to buy a new one, but I keep forgetting to do it. Easier to maneuver and much lighter and easier for us old guys with arthritis. You should make or buy a hanger for the main tool, preferable something that is easy to move around to where you are working.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

3768 posts in 2025 days

#12 posted 05-28-2013 07:09 PM

stefang, thanks, I will need to check that out!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"