Robo Reel Long Overdue Rated A+++

Review by Bertha posted 05-24-2013 06:27 PM 1705 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Robo Reel Long Overdue Rated A+++ Robo Reel Long Overdue Rated A+++ No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This review is long overdue, which is a good thing. I wanted a long courtship. I don’t know if this thing has exploded into the World’s greatest invention or not; I’ve been out of it a bit.
See blog first at:
OK, this thing seems expensive, that’s the first response. My experience with the unit warrants the price.
Whether than go through the pros/cons, I’ll just stream-of-consciousness my experience with it.
I installed it on the wall of my shop and used it mostly to feed handheld powertools. It has an enormous reach in my small shop, so it was like an extension cord with multiple protected receptacles. It functions as advertised, fancy, computerized, will do anything you want it to.Gives audible tones, active lights, the works. Retracts with the press of a button, out of sight. Incredibly solid construction. You could drive nails with the illuminated receptacle head. Cord is high quality and carries more than adequate amperage. When you exceed it, the reel cuts off before the breaker. And I have this particular breaker set low.
The real perk is when you have it outside. It stands on all fours and it’s stable. The head rotates and I’ve never had it tip. You can really tug on it and not worry. It really shines on generator power. You can set it up alongside your generator and the cord goes out a LONG way. I don’t even know how long b/c I never reached the end. When you’re packing up the generator, push a button, it retracts, stack it on top, roll them both out, and you’re done.
I’ve pushed it to the max over a year now. I’ve done intentionally mean $hit to it because we all have other extension cords. I haven’t been gentle with it. I yank it, slam it, put it in the rain, etc. and I haven’t found a flaw. I never shot it, although I’ve been asked to. I like it too much to kill it.
In sum, this is an expensive extension cord of exceptionally high quality that retracts with the push of a button, has a protected multiple outlet head with LED indicator, circuit protection, and high amperage rating.
I imagine it to be best used in a large shop mounted overhead. You can define the length of retraction through the circuitry. Do your thing, push a button, it’s retracted to your desired level. I also imagine it doing exceptionally well on a jobsite, although I’m a hobbyist, not a contractor.
From my experience over what I consider a long interval, I can recommend this product without reservation.

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#1 posted 05-24-2013 06:35 PM

I give it 5 stars. I’m uncertain why I was never asked. Admin, could you make sure I have entered top rating on this product. Yours, Al

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

#2 posted 05-24-2013 07:02 PM

Al, when you enter a review, there is a drop-down box right above the post title for you to choose your star rating. 5 stars is the default selection, so you accidentally did what you wanted to do. :-)

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View grizzman's profile

grizzman

6960 posts in 1941 days

#3 posted 05-24-2013 07:28 PM

great review on this, and also really nice to hear from you al, ive missed you…hope your well and happy…hows the puppy steak…

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

#6 posted 05-24-2013 10:31 PM

Al,

Great review.

Boy have we missed you.

Hope you’re back for good, always appreciated your outlook on things.

Herb

-- Herb, Florida - Here's why I close most messages with "Be Careful!" http://lumberjocks.com/HerbC/blog/17090

View RonInOhio's profile

RonInOhio

#7 posted 05-24-2013 11:47 PM

Not for that price. Or 279. Nice review though.

View mbs's profile

mbs

#8 posted 05-30-2013 02:10 PM

I just burned up a reel type extension cord last weekend. Had about 8’ of 30’ pulled out of the reel. Overloaded it and noticed smoke coming from the housing. All the outside insulation was melted. Glad i caught it before a fire started. It was only rated for 10 amps which isn’t much. The Roboreel is rated at 20 amps which is enough and it has thermal protection. It’s expensive but I think I’ll order one.

Nice to see hear from you, Al.

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.