Stanley Flatbase Spokeshave

Review by Nugs posted 335 days ago 1597 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Stanley Flatbase Spokeshave Stanley Flatbase Spokeshave No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

One of my first woodworking projects was carving a canoe paddle, I didn’t want to spend too much on tools because I wasn’t sure if I would like the hobby. I picked up this spokeshave on Amazon for a reasonable price of $20.

I’ve had a lot of problems with it but with some small modifications it was a pretty usable tool. My first issue was with it jamming up, no matter how thin I would set it, the shavings would jam it and I would have to take it apart to unclog it. My solution to this was to grind down the front of the chipbreaker, this worked very well, no more jamming.

My second issue was with the blade rattling around when I used it, I just made sure I tightened the screws as tight as I could to stop this. I ended up stripping one of the screws, probably not the best solution to the problem but it seemed to work fine.

The biggest issue occured yesterday when I was using it to shape some arches on a coffee table I’m building. I took a step back to see how it looked and it slipped out of my hand when I stood up. It dropped a total of 30 inches maybe, I thought the blade would be in pretty bad shape, but in fact the whole thing snapped in half.

I’m giving this 3 stars because it worked fine for $20 and it does have lifetime warranty, however I have to mail it in and shipping would probably be $10. I’ve gotten enough use out of it that I think I’ll upgrade and get a really nice spokeshave as a replacement.

View Nugs's profile

Nugs

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

Bummer. You were generous in your rating.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View chrisstef's profile (online now)

chrisstef

Man that sucks. Id throw it directly onto the ground again (with glasses on) and smash that fugger into oblivion. Ohh Stanley of old where have you gone?

-- "there aren’t many hand tools as awe-inspiring as the #8 jointer. I mean, it just reeks of cast iron heft and hubris" - Smitty

View JustJoe's profile

JustJoe

Sad to see Stanley has stooped this low – I’ve got a drawer full of the vintage spokeshaves and they are much sweeter. They suck now if you have to grind the lever cap or over-crank the screws to tighten it up, but the break in the handle could go either way. Cast iron can be brittle, so unless you can look at the breakline and see what the casting looks like, it might just be an unlucky drop that landed on the wrong pressure point. You might try finding an older #51 or 151 or a Record knock-off. If you’re fumble-fingered then there are some malleable ones out there too that were made for teaching kids in workshop – they’re supposed to bounce instead of break and they look just like the real thing from a distance so nobody will make fun of you for using the kiddie spokeshave :)

-- This Ad Space For Sale! Your Ad Here! Reach a targeted audience! Affordable Rates, easy financing! Contact an ad represenative today at JustJoe's Advertising Consortium.

View Willeh's profile

Willeh

Oh man, that sucks.. I’ve looked at these before but ended up going with the Veritas spoke shave.. it has served me well.. but, like you said, for $20 it served you well

-- Will, Ontario Canada. "I can do fast, cheap and good, but you can only pick two... "

View woodcox's profile

woodcox

I have the same shave with a radius sole. OMG! I wish it would have broken before at least half a day of frustration to produce nary a curl. About the only thing it has going for it is the japaning .

-- "My god has more wood than your god" ... G. Carlin.