GREAT sprayer

Review by donburkard posted 431 days ago 2198 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
GREAT sprayer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

So i bought the q4 in july 2012. I have used it a couple dozen times on everything from full kitchens to tiny wine balancers. I want to start by saying this is a great unit. I love the xpc gun. I dont have a crazy amount of experience spraying finishes but i have done my fair share over the years. I have used several different types and this is by far the best i have ever used. If your looking for a “high quality” hvlp system this is the one. I have used the Apollos and they are nice but in my opinion the Fuji is slightly nicer and a bit cheaper which is a plus. I know everyone rants and raves about the earlex systems but the one i have is a childs toy compared to the fuji.

This unit is a 4 stage turbine so it has some power. I spray latex every now and again (not my fault, some times you just cant talk people out of something) and it blows right through it. The controls are all super easy to use. you can dial it in really easily and the fit and finish is top notch. It is also very easy to clean

It was just under 1000 bucks but be prepared to spend 2000 if your like me. I got the main kit as well as an extra gun (one for solvent based finishes and one for water based finishes), and a gravity feed gun that i have yet to actually use. There are also several accessories you will want to pick up that will make life a lot easier and in turn make finishing more enjoyable such as the cup covers for short term storage in the guns cup.

There are only one negative thing i have to say about it. The turbine died today. It was a total bummer. I was dead smack in the middle or finishing a kitchen and boom, dead. Dont know what happened, dont really care. I panicked and called Fuji’s cs line. COULD NOT HAVE FOUND NICER PEOPLE! The gentleman i spoke with asked if i could email a copy of my receipt which i did, along with an explanation what happened and the circumstances that im in (in the middle of a kitchen that is supposed to be installed next week). With in 6 minutes he called me to inform me that he had called the warehouse and had them ship me a new turbine and to just pop the old one in the box when the new one comes. Two days and im all set. Not to bad.

Just thought i would share my thoughts on it. Its a great unit and well worth the investment. If i could do it over i would in a heartbeat even with the turbine dieing and that says something because im spiteful and hold grudges. Hope this helps.

-- "Well, sir, it's this rug I have. It really tied the room together." (The Dude)

View donburkard's profile

donburkard

112000 posts in 2178 days

That’s great customer service,thanks for the review.

View Bogeyguy's profile

Bogeyguy

Over a grand and it died in the middle of your project? How can you give it 5 stars, even if their customer service was excellent? I’d be on the warpath.

-- Art, Pittsburgh.

View JustJoe's profile

JustJoe

Thanks for the review, but if it costs me a grand it better not be breaking after a year or two. I don’t care if the Fuji Fairy can leave a new one under my pillow the next morning, it doesn’t pass the durability test. I can break a 99 cent HF clamp and the store will take it back but it’s still a cheaply built clamp. I’ve been looking for a decent all-in-one HVLP system too.

-- This Ad Space For Sale! Your Ad Here! Reach a targeted audience! Affordable Rates, easy financing! Contact an ad represenative today at JustJoe's Advertising Consortium.

View bandit's profile

bandit

Nothing is 100% perfect. HaHa, Dream On. That was great service.

-- Michael Garrett

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

I agree for the most part, though I went with the mini-mite 4 and some accessories and spent just under $900.
I’m extremely happy with mine now. It sprays beautifully and reliably.

The problem you had is likely due to heat buildup.
The Super and Q4 series relief valve is set to blow the air back into the case when the trigger on the gun isn;t pulled. The mini-mite 4 doesn’t have as much of an issue with this because of the big vents on the back and the short distance the air has to travel.

I agree with fuji service being top shelf. Every time I’ve contacted them they have been extremely helpful and courteous.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View wbrisett's profile

wbrisett

I have the older black version of the QT4, never had to call CS, or do much except replace a few minor parts due to wear and tear. I’ve never sprayed latex, but have often thought about it. What size nozzle did you use? (I’ve got a set of 3 different sizes, but tend to use only one).

View donburkard's profile

donburkard

With latex I use the tip it came with. The 4 I think. I thin the crap out of it with water and a splash or two of flotrol. It has a lot of overspray but gives a nice finish. Super flat. I’m the same way with the tips. I have them but usually only use the 1. I usually just dial the gun in around the nozel I’m using.

As for the rest of you who say 1000 dollars it shouldn’t break. Yes. I agree. 100%. HOWEVER, things break! Nothing is 100% perfect 100% of the time. I’ve seen a brand new pm 66 catch on fire within a year of use and a brand new high quality Japanese chisel delaminate in a few months of normal ware. Things happen. For me, if the product is solid that’s what’s important. If it’s a great product and it breaks, That’s a problem but if the customer service is top notch and take care of it right away, that’s why it gets all the stars. I promised you if you call lie-Nielsen and order 100 planes, hand them to 100 people and come back in a year, at least one of those people is gonna say the thing fell apart in 3 months. It happens. How the company handles it is more important to me. Read other reviews of Fuji products. That will tell you the product is solid, I just happen to come across a fluke. If the thing didn’t break I would have givin it 5 stars for my usage. It worked really well. It did break so I would drop two stars but add those two stars right back simply for customer service.