Review by Jorge G. posted 330 days ago 1005 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
French Polishing. Finishing and restoring using traditional techniques. By Derek Jones No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

While I have done French polishing in the past, I would like to become more accomplished with it. I thought this book, given it’s name would be the one that would gain me that knowledge. Sadly this is not the case, if you are considering this book, do not waste your money! There are more in depth, better explained sources in the internet. I should have bought a Charles Neil book instead of this one.

First, I do not know if it is because this is written by a British person, but the terminology seems a bit off. For example he talks about “white polish” but only he knows what this is, as it is not explained in the book. He uses two words through out the book, polish and varnish, for example amber varnish. Once again, no explanation on what this is aside from a small paragraph.

The book is divided in 6 Chapters:

History of French polish
Work space and materials
Preparing a surface for french polish
Stains and Colors
Applying shellac
Cleaning and polishing

The first two chapters are very basic, the chapter on preparing a surface talks about abrasives, nothing new here. The chapter on staining is very, very basic, I am actually miffed I paid for this information. The chapter on applying shellac once again is very basic, a good bit on how to make a pad, but that is all. Brief mentions about grain fillers, where he only demonstrates the use of plaster of Paris.

If you were planning on getting this book I would advise you not to waste your money, there is far more complete information in the web as well as this site, in short this book for almost $20 is a rip off. I gave it two stars because of Tauton’s customer service as the book was lost in the mail and they sent me another one, I wish had asked for a refund or exchange.

-- "It is what you do with what you know that matters" - James Krenov

View Jorge G.'s profile

Jorge G.

View Nazair's profile

Nazair

As some who also spent money on this book I agree with your review.

-- Naz

View Gary's profile

Gary

6058 posts in 1932 days

Me too

-- Gary, DeKalb Texas only 4 miles from the mill

View Cajunrotor's profile (online now)

Cajunrotor

Thank you for the heads up review on this book. I will use my money elsewhere.

-- Earl