Now, this is the way to cut veneer !

Review by shipwright posted 458 days ago 2863 views 7 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Now, this is the way to cut veneer ! Now, this is the way to cut veneer ! Now, this is the way to cut veneer ! Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am rapidly becoming a fan of Tools for Working Wood and the Gramercy line of specialty tools. This review is about the French style veneer saw but if you look closely, you will see their superb holdfasts being used as well.

When you pick up this saw you know immediately that it is like no other veneer saw you (or at least I) have ever held before. It’s teeth are coarse for a veneer saw and it is heavy .... and that’s why it works so well. The blade itself is thin and cuts with virtually no kerf but backing the blade up is a heavy machined steel plate that keeps it absolutely straight and stiff down close to the teeth.

Gramercy makes three versions of the veneer saw. There is an “English style” that has all teeth pointing down, the French style that has teeth in each half canted toward the center, and one more English style that is specifically for thick veneers.

I chose the French style because I like the idea of using the canted teeth to cut in a rocking motion so that I can cut from both sides toward the center, lessening the chance of tear-out at the edges of the veneer.

The photos show the cutting jig that I made to compliment this saw, and it needs this kind of high fence jig to really come into it’s own. Cutting with a regular straight-edge, I wasn’t that impressed but sliding the flat side of the saw along the face of the jig adds a measure of stability that allows the aggressive teeth to really go to work.

My cuts are better, easier and faster than I’ve ever had before and using the holdfasts the jig sets up and adjusts very quickly.

At $95 it’s not for everyone but if you do a lot of work with veneer you won’t likely regret buying this one.

I would recommend it to anyone who is serious about cutting veneer and doing it accurately, quickly and efficiently.

-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fiberglass trees. http://prmdesigns.com/

shipwright

I learned something else this evening. I was under the impression a razor blade and/or knife was used

-- Norman

View grizzman's profile

grizzman

6917 posts in 1929 days

what a wonderful saw, and the guy using it sure has a golden arizona tan…wow..but what i really want to know is who won the race….and are there any pictures or video from this weekend..yo hoho…blow the man down…....

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

Nice saw. It reminds me of an Ulu knife from Alaska….................Jim

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

I thought you did that a LONG time ago…

You either made them or bought them…

You’re doing GREAT however way you’ve decided to do it…

I think you could’ve made a veneer cutter though… but, I don’t know anything about it… LOL

Thank you.

View Mathew Nedeljko's profile

Mathew Nedeljko

Ok Paul…you just sold me! Fathers Day is coming up!

-- Aim high. Ride easy. Trust God. Neale Donald Walsch

shipwright

OK Grizz, It’s off topic but this one’s for you. Relaxing after the race. The 65 foot schooner won (again).

View stefang's profile

stefang

12873 posts in 1960 days

Beautiful tool Paul. I like the idea that it registers on the fence for more accurate cutting. It would wind up costing me $200 at least to get it to Norway, so probably not for me. I’m glad to see that you are enjoying your boat. Skål!

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Sodabowski's profile

Sodabowski

2002 posts in 1458 days

Cheers Paul, and thanks for the info about the saw :)

-- Holy scrap Barkman!

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

5508 posts in 2054 days

Great review, Paul. That saw is on my list. Now, to get Phyllis to agree. :-)
BTW, did you bring any veneer back from Tucson?
And, your picture sure brings back some wonderful memories. Thanks.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

very interesting tooth pattern on that saw.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View Marco Cecala's profile

Marco Cecala

Had this for some time. Like it too. The gorilla blade is great for shop sawn stuff.

View grizzman's profile

grizzman

6917 posts in 1929 days

what a grand picture Paul….im smiling with you, thank you for a wonderful picture….friendship looks good with its captain on board…

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

View vipond33's profile

vipond33

Hi Paul, are these chisel cut teeth or is there a bevel or two, and is this the case with all models? What’s your sharpening technique for them (eventually)?
It would seem that your fence is so high that you couldn’t rock it completely without interfering with your grip. Hard to tell from the photos.
gene

-- gene@toronto.ontario.canada : dovetail free since '53, critiques always welcome.

shipwright

Here’s a short video showing the rocking cut.

shipwright

Gene, There’s more info here including pics of the teeth. Yes they have bevels and cut with a knife like edge. .... almost no kerf.

I’ll let someone else who knows how do the sharpening.

Other Gene, Yes I brought some back both from Bill and some I bought there.
Good memories for me too. ... :-)