Specialized plane that has a lot of uses

Review by ShannonRogers posted 05-31-2008 07:49 AM 1756 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Specialized plane that has a lot of uses No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got a great deal on the set of these on ebay, but after using them on my new countertop and router table to trim edge banding I would definately pay full price in a heartbeat. These use the same thick iron and easy adjustment as all the other bevel up planes in the Veritas line. I followed the set up instructions included and was making shavings in just a few moments. After using the set screws to dial in the fit, I pulled out the iron and honed it up to 8000. The back of the iron was already flat and within a few minutes I have honed both the back and the bevel to a mirror shine. These things take a really clean cut and create some really funky shavings…

Photobucket

With the skewed blade I found that you get a clean cut with the grain as well as across the grain. I was planing the edge to my new router table and at the corners where the grain switches 90 degrees I was able to continue with the stroke and still get a really clean shaving. I also have used these planes as a quick and easy to control chamfering tool. I believe this was mentioned in the latest Woodworking magazine as well.

A very enthusiastic thumbs up from me on these planes. Having the set is really useful because you can just pick up the other one to switch directions in tough grain.

-- The Hand Tool School is Open for Business! Check out my blog and podcast "The Renaissance Woodworker" at www.renaissancewoodworker.com

View ShannonRogers's profile

ShannonRogers

View jcees's profile

jcees

#1 posted 05-31-2008 01:08 PM

I was wondering if these puppies would be worth the price. Thanks for answering.

Always,
J.C.

-- When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. -- John Muir

#2 posted 05-31-2008 01:42 PM

Thanks for the review Shannon. I have been considering one of these. This looks like it is well worth the money.

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#3 posted 05-31-2008 02:52 PM

Thanks for the post, Shannon. I’ve had these on the “short list” for a while. Didn’t know anyone that had used them. Glad they are “keepers”. Veritas makes very good planes.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#4 posted 05-31-2008 03:01 PM

those are nice. i’ve seen those a lot but wasn’t sure how well it was going to work. thanks for the review.

View Doug S.'s profile

Doug S.

#5 posted 06-01-2008 04:18 AM

Yup. Handy little buggers to have and they work really well. The holes for attaching blocks is real useful too. I needed some 30 degree bevels a while back and made a angled hardwoor block for it. It worked great for cleaning up saw marks without worrying that I was messing up the angle in the process.

-- Use the fence Luke

View Loren's profile

Loren

#6 posted 06-01-2008 07:49 PM

I owned a bronze one of these planes several years ago.

Honestly, I didn’t find it very useful. If you have a pair
so you can cut both ways that would overcome some
of the weakness of the plane in trimming edge-banding.

The blade angle is low. In theory this is good for end
grain work… but honestly I find that regular bench planes
do quite well on end-grain if they are properly tuned
up. I seldom use a block plane at all.

I liked the idea of the integral fence for squaring work…
but I found once I got some practice with bench planes
cutting square edges was too hard.

-- http://lawoodworking.com