CMT Orange, Saw blade cleaner

Review by CalgaryGeoff posted 459 days ago 1867 views 1 time favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
CMT Orange, Saw blade cleaner No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my first product review I’m writing, I can’t help myself. I’m impressed with the product so much I need to share my experience with it.

I never took before pictures as I never believed it would work so well. I cleaned three blades and I thought all required sharpening and had broken teeth, ok but close. They were full of pitch and tar from all the rough timber I use so I finally got to it as they were all off the saw since the dado stack was on.

This picture shows the after photos of cleaning. All I did was put the blades in a plastic tray and spray on the CMM Orange cleaner and let sit for maybe five minutes. I then took each blade out and placed it on a towel a scrubbed it with a tooth brush. Wow, did the blades ever came clean. If you use a scrub pad it could be better. Then I wipe off with a towel, spray each side and then wipe again with a clean towel. Results are terrific.

-- If you believe you can or can not do a thing, you are correct.

View CalgaryGeoff's profile

CalgaryGeoff

View alph's profile

alph

409 works great too.

-- alberto angelo

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

Where can you buy this stuff? I’ve got several blades that are pitch coated and been wondering what would clean ‘em.

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

Steve

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

View YanktonSD's profile

YanktonSD

I to have tried different things from 409 to oven cleaner to whatever that green stuff is. But by far CMT blade cleaner is the best I was very surprised how well it worked to.

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

4993 posts in 1935 days

I have used Empire blade cleaner and have had excellent results. Obviously there are several great products available that do the job.

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

Here ya go Joe, it’s Ebay close.

Thanks for the review
CalgaryGeoff

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

Thanks Geoff!

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

Is it a citrus based cleaner? I’ve been using Home Depot brand orange citrus cleaner and it works very fast. Light pitch comes right off, thick pitch I let soak a minute or two and burned/hardened pitch comes off with a couple minute soak and a brass brush. Previously I tried WD40 and it worked but was slow compared to citrus.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View lumberdog's profile

lumberdog

I use simple green and a little water, i put blade in plastic dish pan and cover with liquid and let set for 24 hrs. works great.

-- Lumberdog.. Michigan

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

I use Simple Green. I pour enough in a parts pan to barely cover the blade and let sit for an hour then go over with a tooth brush, it just falls off. Then I pour it back into the jug to use again. I’ve been doing this for many years and it,’s not worn out yet.

Wayne

View CessnaPilotBarry's profile

CessnaPilotBarry

I think I’ve also tried ‘em all, oven cleaner to WD-40 to Simple Green to 409…

All things considered, I think the CMT stuff is a great balance of speed and effectiveness, with a lack of noxious fumes or skin irritation.

-- It's all good, if it's wood...

View lew's profile

lew

Thanks, Jeff. I gotta get some of that stuff!

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

the Purple colored Simple Green works excellent too. Available by the gallon (concentrated) at Home Depot.
I dilute it 50/50 with water. Safe for carbide blades and cutters. Be aware that the green colored simple green can erode carbide, but only if you soak the blade for extended periods.

Speed is great, thanks

-- Norman

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

Agree 100%, in fact I bought a gallon a few years ago to keep the 16 oz. bottle full. I’ve found that regular cleaning keeps my saw cuts at their best. I’ve used this CMT formula for 20 years and never been disappointed.