Turn the corner when you see this one.

Review by vipond33 posted 336 days ago 2279 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Turn the corner when you see this one. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am not normally inclined to write bad reviews, preferring to talk about tools that I really like, but if I can save one LJ from buying this problem drill then my work here is done.

We were out on a job site, far, far from home – without our right angle drill.
It was essential to what we were doing so our boss ran out and bought (to give him credit) probably the only choice available for miles.

Nevertheless, it was Jack and the Beanstalk in reverse. We gave him a few beans, he came home with a turkey.

We used it, then it came back to the shop. I looked at it at my bench and silently wondered how it ever came into being. This was the worst interpretation I’d seen of a portable electric tool design since Freud’s very first laminate trimmer. Chip in with any others you know of.

To begin with, here is the size and geometry of all in our shop. The very old Makita cordless at the top, then the standard of the light duty industry – the electric Makita, then the defendant and just for comparison, one of my new 18v drills.

The corded Makita comes in at all of 3 inches wide, and the Milwaukee – a staggering 8 1/2” when set at right angles (with tightly bent cord). Even my new Ridgid drill is a full inch shallower tip to tip!

Ok, so what else is the problem here? It’s a little broad in the beam. So?

Well, in the other direction too. The motor housing is huge and yet strangely the unit is under powered.

In use, the angled head means you must lift up the back end to go in straight, thus elevating the bulbous tail and the protruding cord.

To hit the switch your own bulky hand must go in close, up near the chuck, adding to the bulk and in tight or difficult spaces be incapable of shifting or withdrawing without disengaging the drill or bit. With all the motor behind your grip, the balance is poor. Because of the size and the geometry, a two handed grip needed for power or close control is tough to get.

Many times you’re in the way of your vision by placing your hand so, and your vision is often everything in these applications.

The angled cord is a royal pita.
Feh.

Bizarrely, it has a 1/2” – 20 spindle yet only a 3/8” chuck. No standard hole saws for you without an upgrade.

This is so far off the mark of the Milwaukee tools that I do like. Their fabulous drills & routers, even the fantasy super industrial tools that I love to admire in catalogs.

A right angle drill is a luxury tool, that every once in a while saves your bacon by not having any, staying slim, going in anywhere.
This one would be no stars if I could.

gene

-- gene@toronto.ontario.canada : dovetail free since '53, critiques always welcome.

View vipond33's profile

vipond33

I agree.

View Boxguy's profile

Boxguy

I agree and am still using my old cordless Makita for drilling small holes inside boxes for chain anchors.

-- Big Al in IN

View 404 - Not Found's profile

404 - Not Found

The design team obviously speed read the brief, skipping the key points about it being ‘compact’, ‘right angle’ and ‘ergonomically designed’, sacrificing usability for aesthetics. “Oh it looks super with the soft grip overmould”.

This is what the younger generation call an ‘epic fail’.

You could always use it as a door stop.

View SPalm's profile

SPalm

That is bizarre. It is almost like they designed it to piss you off – small chuck, under powered, angled, trigger at the top, protruding stiff cord, ...

Feh,
Steve

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

It looks like it was designed to get into a shallow tight spot where the handle would be outside of the tight spot. Very strange.

finally, an honest review

View Bluepine38's profile

Bluepine38

Reminds of a friend who bought a right angle drill for his shop, and when it bit the dust in three weeks was
told that the find print said it was only for occasional and light duty work and he would have to pay for the
repair. Quite a change from the Hole Hawg.

-- As ever, Gus-the 75 yr young apprentice carpenter

View DocSavage45's profile

DocSavage45

Looks pretty? Reminds me of the “New Ergonomic design” of a Stanley hammer I bought to replace my old one. My old Stanley has a straight metal neck with a slight offset for the hand grip. It has the old flat face and curved claw. when it is in my hand and my arm is down it feels like an extension. The new one cannot pull a nail without the nail getting stuck!

To bad companies don’t solicit from users? LOL!

Gene it’s nice to have a “Great Boss!”

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

What exactly were you doing that had such specific right-angle drilling requirements?

View eddie's profile (online now)

eddie

thanks for the heads up Gene

-- Jesus Is Alright with me

Moron

I bought a “Snap on Tool” right angle drill many years ago and in fairness to them, it was offered at a major discount as it was dis-continued……….for good reasons.

Albeit after almost 15 years and still working, the beast works at 100% or ZERO so when digging into a timber it most often impossible to control depth of bore as the drill takes time to stop

I like the Festool that has impact, concentric drilling, driving and right angle capacity, all within a single device by the simple operation of changing the chuck

View Harley130's profile

Harley130

25 posts in 1992 days

The Milwaukee and Ridgid are designed and engineered by the same company, One World Technologies. OWT also makes the Ryobi and Craftsman tool lines.

-- Seldom wrong, but never in doubt. My Blog site: www.sawdustdispatch.com

View Jeff in Huntersville's profile

Jeff in Huntersville

Looks like the design is best if you’re drilling up. Then the weight and cord hangs down. Otherwise poor design. Thanks for the review.

View vipond33's profile

vipond33

My guess is that this was the product of a junior design team, just cutting their teeth and trying to be different. “Let’s be radical dudes!”.
How it was vetted by upper management we’ll never know. But then again, consider (in terms of the car world) the miscalculation of the Edsel, the Mustang 2 or the closest parallel that I can think of, the Pontiac Aztek. It even looks the same.
PK: We were mounting whalers to the top of a run of upper cabinets, working through mouse holes close to the ceiling, prior to applying facing boards. We also needed to attach fillers close to the wall.
gene

Moron

I once bought, or was rather hood winked into buying an ergonomically improved snow shovel. They had me sold, until I used it and my back screamed at for the night and vowed

“Never Again”

I wish I could say that was true : ))