Fusion P410 is WICKED SHARP

Review by Mainiac Matt posted 05-16-2013 01:05 AM 1916 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Fusion P410 is WICKED SHARP No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Just completing the refurbishment of an older 3 HP Jet cabinet saw, I decided to indulge in the first “premium” blade I’ve ever owned. I read several threads discussing blades and was intrigued to find out what the Hi-ATB with the double sided grind was all about. Now that I have the power, I also wanted to get a non-thin kerf blade.

This blade is “wicked sharp”...

There are a lot of technical discussions already out there, so for my review, I decided to test it against my other two Freud blades and show pictures of the results….

‘F’ is the new Fusion
‘D’ is a Diablo D1024X rip blade
‘K’ is an older 60 tooth ATB Freud cross cut blade that might have been labeled “King Crosscut”

I pulled several samples of 3/4” stock from my cutoff bin.

starting with cross cutting….

Red Oak

Red Oak

White Oak

Pine

Mahogany

And finally particle board and MDF..

I gave the blade 5 stars because the cut quality was the best for both ripping and cross cutting.

you have to go a little slower with the blade, and I did not test it in thick stock

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

#1 posted 05-16-2013 01:11 AM

You added more after posting.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

#2 posted 05-16-2013 01:14 AM

all thumbs tonight… this darn touch pad is super sensitive

I should note that I do not have any personal experience with any other “premium” blades and my test is a little bit of an apples and oranges comparison… But I think it’s noteworthy that the General Purpose Fusion outperformed both a dedicated rip blade and a dedicated cross cut blade.

So for me, this is just what I wanted…. and I was willing to pay more to have one blade that I can use for most all operations.

View Kaleb the Swede's profile

Kaleb the Swede

#3 posted 05-16-2013 01:31 AM

I have been wondering about that blade. I think you may have just sold me. Excellent review with a great amount of information (and pictures for us semi-shaved gorillas)

-- Just trying to build something beautiful

View bobasaurus's profile (online now)

bobasaurus

#4 posted 05-16-2013 05:03 AM

Looks nice. I especially like the lack of blown-out fibers on the crosscuts.

-- Allen, Colorado

#5 posted 05-16-2013 01:24 PM

What the pictures don’t communicate well is texture…. the fusion cuts are very smooth, almost polished on some woods…. this is most visible in the rip cuts in pine, but every solid wood cross cut and rip cut was smoother with the Fusion.

For me the decision point was whether or not a high end combo blade could out cut a solid performing economy grade specialized blade. IMO the answer was yes.

Are there other premium combo blades out there that perform better than the Fusion? I personally don’t know.

Would dedicated premium rip and cross cut blades out perform the Fusion? I suspect the answer is yes.

I think the reason this blade appears to be so incredibly sharp is because the high ATB grind is a more acute angle than normal ATB blades. And also because the second grind on the outside edges puts an slight arc in the surface, which makes the angle at the cutting edge more acute as well. Is there a downside to this geometry? At this point, I cant say. One might theorize that the tips are less strong and more prone to brittle fracture, but the real question is whether they are they strong enough for normal wood working tasks.

View Lumberpunk's profile

Lumberpunk

#6 posted 05-17-2013 12:41 AM

I have a thin kerf fusion that I replaced an older 60T freud all purpose blade with… cuts like a dream with a beautiful finish… first use was cutting 8/4 hard maple on a bosch contractor saw and it did a fine job.

#7 posted 05-17-2013 03:05 AM

Cool!

View Marcus's profile

Marcus

#8 posted 05-17-2013 11:43 AM

I bought the same blade about 6 months ago. I went to Rockler to pick up a WWII and a guy I trusted there suggest I look at the Freud. He said he had been using it for 6 months and absolutely loved it. I had my heart set on a WWII and he could see that, so he told me that if I wasn’t happy with the blade, bring back and he’d swap me out for a WWII. So with that, I took it home. It hasn’t been off my saw since (well, except when I need the dado set).

A few things I noted about this blade. Its pretty damn loud compared to blades I’ve used in the past. It makes a nice whistling sound. Obviously not an issue or problem, it just stood back and stared at it the first time I fired it up.

This is the first blade I’ve used (also first “premium” blade I’ve owned) where I get glue up ready cuts. every time.

The saw dust the blade makes is more akin to my jointer/planer than my other blades. It’s almost like it makes a shear cut and I get nice little shavings instead of just purely dust.

I suppose I should just copy/paste all of this and add another review for this blade. For $30 cheaper than the WWII, I’ve been pleased.

View ward63's profile

ward63

#9 posted 05-18-2013 01:41 AM

Outstanding review!!! The Fusion will definitely be my next blade.
Thanks for sharing.

View pauldye's profile

pauldye

#10 posted 06-11-2013 01:59 AM

I have the Freud Premier Fusion also, since about 1 year. I also have a premium Freud rip blade. The rip blade does a better job at ripping, of course. But the Fusion does a fine job on rip and crosscuts. Freud makes great products, and I agree with the review on the high quality of the Fusion blade.