This saw restored my house, built my shop, and kept on truckin'.

Review by gizmodyne posted 01-20-2008 05:25 PM 8402 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
This saw restored my house, built my shop, and kept on truckin'. This saw restored my house, built my shop, and kept on truckin'. This saw restored my house, built my shop, and kept on truckin'. Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this saw after some research. Age old argument Bosch vs. Ridgid. It was on sale at Home Depot, so argument settled.

When I first bought it I had not shop or shed. It folded right up and sat in the living room.

Utility
I have built countless window screens, ripped trim, and even cut the 7’ parts for giant garage doors with this baby. I have ripped also plywood sheets, and re-sawn chunky 2×8’s with this saw. My contractor has one too and rewaws 20’ beams with it.

Accuracy
I was able to set it up to fairly accurate with much tinkering and squaring of the fence, which is suprisingly accurate once monkeyed with. Crosscut accuracy greatly improved once I built a crosscut sled for this saw

Once you use a good cabinet saw by any maker you will know what they mean when they say that these saws would not be recommended for fine furniture work. The big saws are extremely heavy, their fences are solid, and
the adjustments stick. On a big saw you can rely on the fence.

That said, you can do really good work with this saw if you want to spend the time adjusting it and tuning it. I also put a good blade on the saw.

Accessories-the average

The guard is your typical junk, but I kept it on and tweaked it straight unless I was doing a through cut. It has anti-kick back pawls.

The saw comes with an average miter gauge.

I never bothered to buy a dado set, but it would probably be happier with a 6”.

Accessories-the awesome
The stand is awesome. You can go all terrain with this, into a truck, up stairs, slalom through a crowded shop or job site. It is perfect.

On board storage: The gauge, fence, guard/splitter, and blades/wrenches all store on board.

Sliding table: The right table slides out so that you can do wider rips, and then slides back in for convenient storage. I have seen some people hang a router on this space.

Dust collection
Is not good. The base of the saw is open allowing dust to spill everywhere. Even with a shop vac or other system hooked up, dust is a problem. It builds up inside of the nooks and crannies too.

Price
Home Depot sells these for around $500, but if you have a credit card with them and they send you a 10 or 20% off coupon you can get it for less.

Epilogue
I placed the following ad on craigslist recently as part of a deal with my wife to get my new cabinet saw:

This is a great table saw for homeowners, contractors, and hobby woodworkers. Retails for $450 plus tax.

Comes with all original parts(miter gauge, blade, rip fence, guard) and manuals.

I took very good care of this saw and it has served me well.

Comes with awesome portable stand that lets the saw fold up into a small space. Extremely movable.

Video Review of the Saw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzZd-qWWlNE

Specs from the Ridgid Site:
Powerful 15 Amp motor – heavy duty power with soft start
Soft start – provides smooth starting, prolongs motor life, and reduces breaker tripping
Tool free blade guard
Retract-A-Rip™ fence and rail – maintains rip dimension accuracy to the blade, provides 25 in. rip capacity while maintaining portability
Micro adjust fence – for fine adjustments
“T” slot miter gauge and slots – provide additional accuracy for crosscutting
Single handle bevel/height adjustment – for quick, easy blade adjustments
On-board storage – keeps rip fence, miter gauge, extra blades and power cord within easy reach

I sold it for $300 bucks in about 1/2 an hour. There were several calls instantly. So the good news is that these saws hold their value.

Will I regret selling it. Maybe, if I get into working out of the home. I would buy it back at that point.

Summary
Good portable saw. I think I miss it.

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

View Jeff's profile

Jeff

#1 posted 01-20-2008 08:40 PM

Well written review. I had never given Rigid too much thought until all the good press their tools have gotten here on LJs.

-- Jeff, St. Paul, MN

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#2 posted 01-20-2008 10:37 PM

I have been very happy with my Ridgid table saw.

View MEM's profile

MEM

#3 posted 01-21-2008 02:32 PM

I love my Ridgid saw, it works well in my limited size basement shop. As stated, once you fiddle with the adjustments of the fence and sliding table you get good cuts and safe operation.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

#4 posted 01-21-2008 02:49 PM

Thank you for this review.

View gator1's profile

gator1

#5 posted 01-26-2008 07:01 AM

This saw is a great addition to anyone’s wood shop or weekend DIY’er. I did alot of research on portable table saws, the Ridgid and the Bosch were at the top. Finally when it went on sale at Home Depot for $299 that solved the dilema. I couldnt be happier, plywood, 2×4’s, 2×10’s it doesnt matter this saw is a Hoss and can really do the job. Light and very portable. I do alot of research on all my tools and i love this saw, Ridgid is really putting out good tools right now. I also own there stationary table saw with the hercules lift, awesome also.

-- Dan, Maryland

View MountainHigh's profile

MountainHigh

#6 posted 01-29-2008 11:19 PM

I think you may well miss it, I would if I ever gave mine up. Honestly, if I had the room and the money, I would get a cast iron job. But with all my tools pretty much standing up against the walls of my garage when no in use, I could not be happier than with my TS2400. It will take the 8”dado to 3/4” no problem. They just introduced the TS2410 model with the best stand you have ever seen, otherwise only minor changes to the saw.

The only comments that I got when I worked for them was about the power not being adequate…..If you limit your extension cord, or use a dedicated outlet, and therefore have all the required power, it is more than you will need. I used to have contractors with 150-250- feet of extension cord trying to rip 2X and of course, an old dull blade. They were sometimes upset. Not much reason to be upset if you use this one correctly.

NEVER FORGET…...If you register your tools from Ridgid, they are warranteed for YOUR LIFETIME!! All their tools.

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

#7 posted 01-30-2008 05:37 PM

This is the saw I will get as soon as I can afford it. My uncle has the contractor version of this with the Hercules lift and I have found it to be a nice reliable saw. I will be able to take it with me when I do custom window jobs. Ridgid makes some pretty nice tools and they have a good customer service center.

-- --Chuck

View Hawgnutz's profile

Hawgnutz

#8 posted 02-28-2008 09:36 PM

I, too, own this saw. It is my primary saw due to space in my shop. I love Ridgid’s portability. In fact I purchased their MSUV (Miter Saw Utility Vehicle) to mount my Ridgin planer. it allows me to fold it up and transport the saw or planer in a small footprint. I walk using a Canadian cane and have very little problems maneuvering this saw in and pouit of my garage to the outside workspace.

I have used the Grizzly 8” dado to cut around 1000 foot of 3/4” dadoes with no complaint from my saw. I have used it to cut the miters for small boxes, too. Dust collection is a problem with the open bottom, but you can buy a bag from Harbor Freight or Woodcraft to catch those, too. Or, you can do like I do when cutting dadoes… Spread a tarp under the saw to catch all the chips the vacuum did not catch.

All-in-all a GREAT table saw! And with a lifetime warranty, it cannot be beat!

God Bless,
Hawg

-- Saving barnwood from the scrapyards

View SteveV's profile

SteveV

#9 posted 03-17-2008 04:29 PM

I have one – anyone want to buy it?? It has been a good saw but it only has a 27in wide cut and I need more! I’ve also noticed, when cutting panels of 20 inches or more, that I loose accuracy but hey you shouldn’t be using a contractor saw for making cabinets right?

Steve

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

#10 posted 03-18-2008 05:00 PM

Good review. I went with the Bosch, but I think I would have been just as happy with this one.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/