HVLP ready primer.

Review by twc posted 342 days ago 2277 views 1 time favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
HVLP ready primer. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my first review on LumberJocks.

I purchased this primer at HD to use on some knotty pine tongue & groove v-boards. I have to say it worked as well as i hoped. Being shellac based it does have a pretty strong odor but that goes away within a few hours. During the application I wore my respirator and did not spell anything but once removed there was a strong odor. A huge bonus in my eyes was that it is ready to spray straight out of the can. I used my Earlex 5000 hvlp sprayer and applied two coats within an hour. This stuff lays down super smooth off the gun and dries super quick. I think this would be a great prime for any painted project and would recommend it to anyone that hasn’t tried it yet.

View twc's profile

twc

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

Welcome to LJ!
BIN is the only primer I’ll use now. I do thin it a bit with dna though. It sprays nicer that way.
It’s amazing. I don’t mind the smell too much; it reminds me of my aunt’s italian rum cake. :-)
I still wear a mask when spraying though.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View patcollins's profile

patcollins

This stuff will stick to anything and block out any stain that I have ever seen. I don’t especially like the way that it brushes though, maybe mine needed thinned. I used it to prime the mullions of my old wooden windows before re-puttying them and it was damn hard to scrape off the glass where it got some on.

View greatview's profile

greatview

I’ve used it for at least 20 years. You can sand after a half hour or so. Brushes and equipment can be cleaned with household ammonia and water! However, never use it on a surface that might get wet as it is shellac based and shellac doesn’t like water. On exterior applications it simply flakes off after a rain storm or two. Maybe will work in Arizona but not in New Hampshire.

-- Tom, New London, NH

View Bogeyguy's profile

Bogeyguy

Zinsser’s B-I-N has been the standard in primers for many years. They also make a mildew resistant product that is also top shelf.

-- Art, Pittsburgh.

View oldretiredjim's profile

oldretiredjim

Love it. Have used it for more than 20 years. Used it on old plaster walls that were died first and then wall papered from around 1905. It was a great bridge to latex.

View nailbanger2's profile

nailbanger2

A good primer, dries quick as noted, and is the ideal material when going from oil on existing to a new coat of latex paint. One thing to watch for is shelf life, only buy what you need for a project. It stinks when you have to throw out 1/2 of the gallon can.

-- Wish I were Norm's Nephew

View sgv's profile

sgv

Welcome great product clean your hvlp very well then clean it again, I work an a lot of commercial pumps at work, the biggest problem is they are never clean enough !!

-- Tite Lines, May the wind be at your back

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

@nailbanger2; according to zinsser, the BIN has a shelf life of 3 years. If the shellac separates (this is normal) just stir it real good and strain before spraying. If it thickens, just add a bit of dna.

And +1 on cleaning. It really does stick to everything, including your spray equipment.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View Eric25's profile

Eric25

I’m thinking of spraying this on a built-in closet. Is it safe to spray indoors? Is there an explosion risk?

109230 posts in 2076 days

Eric
Depending on what the conditions are where your spraying it can be done safely, as with any flammable material you need good ventilation ,no open flames,no sparks(even motors) no smoking etc. .

View Eric25's profile

Eric25

Thanks Jim, much appreciated!

View CessnaPilotBarry's profile

CessnaPilotBarry

BIN is excellent on MDF, too… No water to swell it up.

-- It's all good, if it's wood...

View Dave G's profile

Dave G

Great all-round. When my house burned partially the fixers swore by this stuff to cover the fire odor. They said it could be used for anything. I’ve found it covers stains way better than Zin or equivalent. Ceiling stains or knots completely hidden. I used it to cover char on my wife’s family’s fire damaged cottage. Worked great! Downsides are waterproof (not) and cost (expensive). Really easy to use and cleanup (pure ammonia). Odor reminds me of a vodka tonic so I’m on vacation whenever I use it. Really glad you posted this. One of my favorite products, with provisos above.

-- Dave, New England - “We are made to persist. that's how we find out who we are.” ― Tobias Wolff

View SKlaus's profile

SKlaus

Hey everyone! I’ve been looking into a paint that I can spray using HVLP for cabinetry (built ins and cabinet doors)... I ran into Benjamin Moore ADVANCE… Seems to be pretty new. Its a waterborne Alkyd blend. I know it needs a primer coat. Will a waterborne like this Advance lay down over a shellac base like the one above? I like the mildewcide characteristics of BIN especially in a kitchen …

-- 2 Timothy 2:15 "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

Thanks for the review! Does anyone know if this is compatible with NitroCellulose Lacquer? Is sanding required between coats?