Everything We hoped for and more

Review by kjverlanic posted 2284 days ago 4376 views 1 time favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Everything We hoped for and more Everything We hoped for and more Everything We hoped for and more Click the pictures to enlarge them

When we were looking at a jointer we wanted to get one that would be able to handle all of our woodworking aspirations for many years to come. We compared 4 different 8” Jointers side by side and decided that since we had the money we might as well get this one, since it ended up on top of our list when comparing the following things: Type & Number of Knives
Cuts per Minute
Total Bed Length
Infeed Table Length
Table Adjustment
Fence Size
We also have a close friend that we trust and that grew up with Powermatics and owns them himself and he highly recommended them as a whole.
One of my biggest worries living out in the boondocks is Customer Service. The “test” run I did with each company I looked at put the Grizzly (They new their products and answered the phone right away) above the rest, and the Powermatic (took a while to answer their phone and weren’t as knowledgeable as they could be with their products) in second, but the likely hood that we would need to use Customer Service put the other factors higher up the list.
We looked at the Powermatic mobile base and decided that we didn’t like the stuff along the front of it (for safety purposes, I would really hate to trip over one of the casters) so we built our own base and got the parts for it from Grizzly and Steel Etc. Right now we just use a dolly in the front to move it, but need to build a lever with wheels to make it more user friendly.
It relatively quiet (a big plus for me as a Certified Hearing Conservationist) and easy to use. We have adjusted the blades a few times, more or less just to get familiar with the process while we have the time to pay great attention to detail so when we are in the middle of a project and something needs to be done with the blades it is second nature. The Parrallelogram beds are nice and we haven’t had to make any adjustment in any manner to them.
We can’t wait to get out there and start practicing more on it. If we had to make this choice again, we would make the same choice.

-- “There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper … and the buyers who consider price only are this man’s lawful prey.” John Ruskin

View Chris 's profile

Chris

ok… I am officially jealous. Thanks for the review; I too am considering this jointer and need to justify the significant additional cost over a traditional jointer.

View dalec's profile

dalec

Powermatics make substantial power tools with near legendary reputations. Thanks for the review. Enjoy and be safe.

Dalec

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Looks great. I wish I had the extra 2”.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

great addition. that is one huge jointer. powermatics are nice too, i think that the wood whisperer has this same one and he likes it too. thats for the review.

This is a good looking jointer. I have looked at this since I should have gotten the extra 2 inches instead of going with the 54A model. I am a fan of Powermatic tools so I am glad to see this one rated favorably.

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

This is one great jointer. I am sure it will give you many years of service. Thanks for posting.

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View Thomas Porter's profile

Thomas Porter

I have the same jointer. I like it. I had to adjust the table a little when I first got it, but after that it worked like a charm. When and if I upgrade it’s going to have to be a killer jointer, because this one does everything it was designed to do very well.

-- Thomas Porter, Phoenix, AZ, www.thomasporter.com

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

Can’t go wrong with a Powermatic. Thats a nice jointer and a good review

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View Sawdust2's profile

Sawdust2

I just posted a review on Jet’s customer service. Actually, it is WMH. Which owns Jet and Powermatic.
It, too, took me a second call but they got it right.

Lee

-- No piece is cut too short. It was meant for a smaller project.

View OutPutter's profile

OutPutter

I wish I had one like that and the room to use it. I hope you will update this review as time goes by and let us know how the story turns out.

-- Jim

kjverlanic

Thanks for the comments. We have a laundry cupboard project to do for my Mother in Law in the next few weeks so I’ll try my best to have my camera out and ready.

View Kipster's profile

Kipster

Great information about an American manufacturer. as a PM owner It is good to see a satisfide customer.

Thanks for the post.

-- Kip Northern Illinois ( If you don't know where your goin any road will take you there) George Harrison

View rjp's profile

rjp

I just ordered one of these jointers along with a mobile base and am rethinking if the powermatic base is the right choice. So can you tell me what you saw wrong with the powermatic base and also give more details on the base that you built? Thanks.

-rjp

-- rjp - Moscow, Idaho

View buffalosean's profile

buffalosean

174 posts in 2021 days

shes a beaut

-- There are many ways to skin a cat...... but, the butter knife is not recommended

rjp,

When we purchased our the mobile base offered from PM had casters sticking out up front and it was square (it did not follow the flow of the base of the machine and would create nice spots for dust to collect). #1 We wanted to get away from those casters up front, #2 we didn’t like the idea of creating dust collection spots and #3 the price for it was a lot higher than for us to build our own base (my husband has a background in working with metal and we had the tools to do the job).

Our base that we built is mobile, but it takes a lot more effort and thought before moving it anywhere than the new PM base does. I think you made the right choice by ordering the new base they are now offering and that you will be happy with it. If PM offered the base they now offer for it, it wouldn’t have been a cut and dry issue for us and we probably would have just bought their base.

I hope this helps and congrats on your purchase.