Very pleased with results

Review by Sandra posted 475 days ago 2721 views 5 times favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Very pleased with results Very pleased with results Very pleased with results Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my first review on Lumberjocks, and my first Incra product purchased

Price and Packaging
I ordered the Incra I-Box through www.elitetools.ca here in Canada. I paid 149.00 Canadian with free shipping.
It arrived in a narrow cardboard box. It was well packed without the dreaded hard plastic packaging that usually requires bandages.

Reason for Purchase
I’m presently building my first workbench, ‘The No-So-Big Workbench’ by Ed Pirnik of Fine Woodworking.
The plans call for 6 drawers. Since I only have ever made one no-so-pretty drawer so far, I wasn’t sure I was willing to waste the wood and time necessary for making my own box joint jig. Yes, it may be considered a character building exercise as a Lumberjock, but I decided to save my energy for the build instead. The plans and measurements for the workbench have been exact thus far, and I didn’t want to mess up the drawers.

Video and Instructions
The I-Box came with a 12 page glossy instruction book with colour photos. The instructions are well written and easy to follow.
The video is divided into 6 chapters, making it easy to find what I needed. I watched the sections ‘Getting Acquainted’,’ Preiliminary Setup’ and ‘Table Saw Basics’.
After I had watched those sections all the way through, I set my laptop on my table saw and got to work, stopping the video as I went along. The only possible bad thing I could say about the video was that the mandolin music in the background got annoying after awhile. The video instructions moved along at a good pace, and it was very easy to see what the demonstrator was doing, right down to threading the different screws.

Set-up
I had the I-Box set up and ready for my first test cut in about 45 minutes.
That’s in real world time, with several interruptions and a bathroom break.

Components
The miter bar upon which the I-Box rests has a neat little expansion mechanism. Once the bar was in the miter slot of my Bosch TS, I was easily able to expand it to slide perfectly without any side to side play. The front blade guard adjusts side to side and forward and backwards to hold the stock up against the fence when cutting. I adjusted the fence so that the 1/2 inch pieces of plywood i was using fit tightly against the fence. In doing so, I did not need to use a clamp.

Adjustments
Following the instructions, it was very easy to cut my first set of box joints. The whole idea of referencing the 2 side pieces against one of the front or back pieces made no sense to me until I was actually doing it. Then the lightbulb came on.
The first set of joints were too loose. I turned the micro-adjustment knob to widen the pins and after a few more tests runs was very happy with the results.

Making the drawers
I had cut the drawer components out of 1/2” oak veneer plywood. I had managed to cut all of the pieces out of one sheet of plywood with very little waste, so I didn’t want to mess up any of the cuts. Somehow I did manage to make a mistake on the first two drawers by having the wrong end of the stock against the pin plates when starting the cuts. I plan on cutting the messed up pins off and having them at the back of the drawers.

Getting the job done
Once I was ready to go, it took me about 35 minutes to cut the box joints for all six of the drawers with 3/8” pins and sockets. The dry fit was tight enough that I had to give the drawer a knock with a mallet to take it apart again. Only issue was tear out of the veneer, but that has nothing to do with the jig.

Bottom Line
I am giving this 4 stars, because it did exactly what it claimed to do, the instructions were fantastic, set up was easy, and I might be shellacked for saying it, but it was fun to use. I am not giving it a five, because I have only cut 3/8” pins and sockets so far, and I can’t comment on its use on the router.
I was reluctant to buy this because of the price, but after using it, I no longer have any regrets or reservations.

View DocSavage45's profile

DocSavage45

Wow! Nice review. Your are an LJ!

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher

View DIYaholic's profile

DIYaholic

Congrats on the new tool acquisition!
Looks like a keeper.

Great job on the review….
Detailed and comprehensive!!!
Makes me want to go out and get me one!!!

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procratination a bad thing?

View Monte Pittman's profile

Monte Pittman

I am going to have to look at this. I hate my setup.

-- Mother Nature created it, I just assemble it. - It's not ability that we often lack, but the patience to use our ability

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

I agree that this is a thorough and well-documented (photos) review. I sort of know the inventor of this tool. His name is Alan Schaffter and he also designed my workbench. In actuality, he designed and made one for himself and when I asked (via e-mail), he shared his plans with me. He has a very creative mind and apparently did well on this tool.

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

View whitebeast88's profile

whitebeast88

great review,i’ll keep in mind when i start to build some drawers.thanks for the review.

-- Marty.Athens,AL

112010 posts in 2203 days

thanks for the great review.

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

You didn’t tell us the price! You didn’t use it for ten years before reviewing it! Is this a commercial? I don’t like the lighting in the photos! Your laptop shouldn’t be around that dust! You aren’t being safe enough!

...Sorry, couldn’t help myself. (Sandra gets the joke people… settle down!)

Anywho- This is an EXCELLENT review. You took your own photos, You broke it down so it was easy to follow, but you also included lots of info. For your first review on LJ’s you nailed it!

As an Incra fan, I am jealous of your new tool and am glad that you liked it! Looking forward to reading your next review!

Sandra

Thanks gents, and a special thanks to Stumpy for the good chuckle. (You forgot to accuse me of selling my soul to the Incra company though…)

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

I’m still envious. I drooled all over one at Woodcraft today but restrained myself and didn’t purchase it (I WANT one but I don’t NEED one). Why did you choose 5/8” joints for your 1/2”ply? Just curious.
Your joints look perfect.
Those drawers will never come apart!

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View eddie's profile (online now)

eddie

great review ,

-- Jesus Is Alright with me

Sandra

Andy, Good catch – I checked my plans again, and it calls for 3/8” which is in fact what I cut. Don’t know where I pulled 5/8 from.

And if we’re talking about wants vs. needs, it’s certainly not a NEED. But I’m thinking with Father’s Day not too far off, you could probably drop a few hints. Or print off the picture….. you know, subtle stuff.

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

Father’s day…..I think that’s the day I get up extra early so I can get all my mowing/weedeating done and then go do the same for my daughters!

I do have a Grizzly gift certificate but they don’t sell I Boxes :(

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View sikrap's profile

sikrap

1001 posts in 1985 days

The iBox is great. I bought mine when Woodcraft had it on sale. I knocked off 3 perfect drawers fro a tool cabinet in about 20 minutes. Its awesome!!

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

View Michael J's profile

Michael J

Thanks for the review! I don’t understand how you deduct 1 star on a product review because you have only made 3/8” pins and haven’t used it on the router. That seems a bit unfair.

-- Mike Minneapolis, MN

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

Great review!
I love my ibox too. :-)

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.