An EXCELLENT dust collection solution for a small shop

Review by StumpyNubs posted 453 days ago 4605 views 3 times favorited 30 comments Add to Favorites Watch
An EXCELLENT dust collection solution for a small shop No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

We did a whole series of episodes on Blue Collar Woodworking about the importance of fine dust collection. Our solution was a homemade cyclone and six inch duct work. But I am also a realist. I know not everybody has the room or the budget for a system like that. A lot of shops are mobile and the dust collection has to be easy to swap between machines. So I did some testing and I think the Rockler Dust Right system is the best option for a number of reasons.

The following three video reviews are intended to tell you what I like about the stuff, and be entertaining to watch. I hope you enjoy them, because I had a blast making them!

(For more entertaining reviews and, of course new episodes of Blue Collar Woodworking, visit Stumpynubs.com!)

First- A longer review of the entire system…

Second- A short review of the hose itself…

Finally- A short review of the quick release fittings…

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

Neat. Thanks for the review.
How much do the system cost? Or is it all menu style ordered?

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View DIYaholic's profile

DIYaholic

No denim shirt & an apron. It’s either laundry day or….
Rockler is not only keeping your shop clean, but they are cleaning up your act!!!

BTW: Nice review.

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procratination a bad thing?

View eddie's profile

eddie

great reviews stumpy on the third one it blackes out around 1:51 got to check em out

-- Jesus Is Alright with me

StumpyNubs

It ends there. I forgot to trip off the excess.

View Dogboy's profile

Dogboy

nice review. I started using these a while back. I had a little craftsman dust collector that I only used once in a while because of the hassles you outlined. so I mounted it on a cart (so I can wheel it to each machine) with a harbor freight separator (the kind that fit on a 5 gallon bucket). and put the quick change fittings on …pretty much everything. Its amazing how much better the dust collector works now that I actually use it.

-- No mistakes, just kindling

View DocSavage45's profile

DocSavage45

Spiffin up for Rockler! Nice work! haven’t got to the installation of my dust collection. Going to keep these in mind!

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher

View AnttiN's profile

AnttiN

Great work, Stumpy. I haven’t enjoyed commercials so much since the Budweiser Clydesdale team!

View _Steve's profile

_Steve

New step for you, congrats on the commercials.

-- McMaker Woodworks, Where you can give directive for a pending antique.

View Dave's profile

Dave

Stumpy you should have been a salesman. Nice review.

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com

StumpyNubs

While it’s not entirely inaccurate to call them “commercials” there is a difference. I don’t get paid to do them. Rockler does sponsor our website, and they do send me tools they think I may like. But there’s no promise of any good reviews. If I like something, I tell people about it. If I don’t, I don’t. I also pay from my own pocket for a lot of the tools I review.

I wouldn’t say I like a tool if it weren’t true. I make the videos to help my viewers spend their woodworking dollars wisely. Rockler benefits for obvious reasons. And I also benefit because Rockler uses the videos on their site which introduces more people to Blue Collar Woodworking. So everybody wins even though nobody gets paid.

View nomercadies's profile

nomercadies

Speaking of duct tape … I have this sticky goo on the seat of my shorts from the duct tape curling on the edges of the repair on my torn car seat. I’m pretty sure that’s what its from anyway. The idea of not having to use the duct tape on fittings, then dealing with the left behind adhesive, that then impairs the seal the next time, might make these fittings some of my favorite things.

-- Chance Four "Not Just a Second Chance"

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

Nice review. My shop is a one car garage so I’ll look into this once I add another circuit and get a dust collector.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View rogerw's profile

rogerw

new wardrobe? mustache mike must be making you feel a little intimidated. lol. sounds like a nice setup. like always, love the videos. cheers!

-- >> my shop teacher used to say "do the best at everything you make for your mom because you're going to see it for the rest of your life!" <<

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

Doesn’t the fine (and most dangerous) dust blow right through that little bag?

I’d like to see read out from one of those slick little particulate detectors with that Rockler wall unit puffing away.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

StumpyNubs

I am a big believer that you need lots of airflow for fine dust collection at the source, as our dust collection series laid out. So no, that little Rockler collector would not eliminate the need for dust masks, etc. But this is an option for those who don’t have the room or budget for a big cyclone and duct work, which includes 75% of the small shop, I bet. This system is for keeping things clean.

Personally I would go with the Harbor Freight collector if you have room. And if you have the budget, go with the Clear Vue cyclone. But the hoses and fittings in the review will work with any 4” system.