Lee Valley Veritas Quick Release Face Vise

Review by rdwile posted 04-30-2013 03:51 PM 4915 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lee Valley Veritas Quick Release Face Vise No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently replaced my bench’s front vise with the Lee Valley (Veritas) Quick Release Face Vise which according to my extensive reading is one of the best for this purpose. For me it was a very smooth installation as I could simply bolt it to the underside of the benchtop without much modification. The vise face was lined up on the template so it was flush with the top of my bench and I drilled the holes. The wooden jaw is bubinga with ebony shoulders to add some visual interest, I think it turned out okay.

Regarding the vise kit, the instructions were very well done, explaining how to mount the vise on several types of benches; as is typical of LV documentation it was well done and very easy to follow. The fit and finish of the vise is of an extremely high quality and very pleasing to the eye. But a vise is meant to be used, and now that I have been using it for a couple of months I am extremely pleased with its function. I lined the jaws with suede to give me a nice slip-proof setup and have no complaints whatsoever.

I use this vise everyday in the shop and it operates very smoothly, sliding in and out the way you would expect. The rails slide in and out very smooth, like a well engineered piece of equipment. The quick release is very well placed and easy to use and clicks off and on very precisely. A nice feature of this vise hardware is the angle iron protection over top of the acme threaded screw; I often use this vise to clamp parts being glued and the occasional squeeze-out drops down – the “hood” keeps the glue from fouling the screw and thus the action of the vise, I put a bit of wax on this to make it easier to clean off in the event of glue spillage.

In summary, I wish I had bought this vise years ago, we tend to put up with crappiness longer than we should – in fact this vise sat in the corner unopened in the box for 6 months before I broke down and installed it – what was I thinking??

If you are not caught up in the roubo bench vortex and are looking for this type of vise, I would recommend this one a lot. I have tried them all when I was researching and none of the ones I tried looked as good and felt as good in operation as this one – what do you expect from Lee Valley?

#1 posted 05-01-2013 09:25 AM

Thanks for the review Richard. Any reason why you chose this over a twin screw vice that would allow you to clamp vertically? Apart from the quick release aspect of course.

#2 posted 05-01-2013 02:52 PM

cagenuts,

For me the quick release was a key requirement, something I had to have. I like the twin screw vise for an end vise where a wider width is desired to prevent racking. This was not a concern for my 16” wide vise jaw. I do very little vertical clamping and for the few times I need it, I have been using my new Moxon vise.

Hope that helps.

Richard

#3 posted 05-01-2013 07:46 PM

Yeah thanks Richard. Also thanks for the review on Noel’s rasps. Going to get some soon.

View Béla's profile

Béla

#4 posted 05-03-2013 08:05 PM

That does look like a nice vise. I agree, quick release vises are the way to go. By the way, if you’re looking for a quick release twin screw vise, check out Len Hovarter's . He makes a novel quick release twin shaft vise with a capacity (width-wise) of up to 25 inches. The mechanism is offered for the Roubo style leg vise or a wagon type tail vise as well. If you do a lot of hand joinery you’ll love it.

-- Béla, Memphis TN

View DouginVa's profile

DouginVa

#5 posted 05-09-2013 02:38 AM

What did you use to adhere the suede to the vice jaws? I have a cheapo Harbor Freight face vise and lined it with suede using a spray adhesive. The suede frequently slides on the metal vise jaws and I have to re-position it each time it slides. I’m just looking for a better way to secure the suede.

-- Just a man with his chisel.........

#6 posted 05-09-2013 05:54 AM

I think contact adhesive would not allow the suede to move around.

#7 posted 05-09-2013 11:47 AM

I used the 3M spray adhesive, the trick with that stuff is to spray both sides being adhered. If you have put wax on the inside of the vise face it will not stay in place and slide around. I stayed away from contact adhesive because of the risk of screwing it up.

View Matt Stauffer's profile

Matt Stauffer

#8 posted 10-22-2014 12:23 AM

Barge cement is awesome for glueing stuff that is difficult to bond. It’s expensive at $30ish for a quart, but you will find all kinds of uses for it. I used it on the pads of my holdfasts, on my bar clamp jaws, vice jaws, etc.

-- Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. ~ John 5:24