Live Edge Table

Review by Justin57 posted 359 days ago 1814 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Live Edge Table Live Edge Table Live Edge Table Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently went to visit with my friend Charles Neil (New Market, VA), at his shop. Our friend Jim Pell was there building a corner cabinet and during my visit I went with Jim to C.P. Johnson Lumber (Elkwood, VA), to pick out some tiger maple. While there CP found me a very nice slab of cherry (8/4×17” x 7’), so I bought it with the intent to make a sofa table with a live edge look. With assistance and input from Charles, I spent 2 days carving the top, 2 days carving the legs and another day carving the aprons to end up with a nice sofa table for my oldest daughter.

Oh…......while I was building this table, Charles was playing around too and built this:

109502 posts in 2082 days

Great job Carl this turned out very well. I’m entirely enviousness of folks who can just tool over to Charles shop when the want to. Beautiful table
I’m a little confused what this is a review of ? Did you attend Charles finishing class also?

View whitebeast88's profile

whitebeast88

very nice beautiful table.i wouldn’t be able to do anything being afraid i’d do my normal and mess something up.
thanks for sharing….

-- Marty.Athens,AL

View John Ormsby's profile

John Ormsby

Nice table Justin. Yeah, Charles has a nice shop.

CP Johnson has some great curly wood. I would highly recommend him to anyone in the area.

-- Oldworld, Fair Oaks, Ca

View jakeobean's profile

jakeobean

Great job Carl….The table looks great…..(jim p. aka jakeobean)....Unfortunately I had to leave before you had completed the table…...glad to see the photographs finished…

-- Jakeobean, Maryland

Justin57

sorry jim. i posted a reply on the thread and then went to post this project. Apparently I clicked on a wrong button.

Is there an Admin out there that can help me either move this or delete it?

View CharlesNeil's profile

CharlesNeil

This table when the top and aprons darken (cherry) will take on a whole new complection, but it was quite beautiful as is , a photo just doesnt do it justice .

Nice job !!!!

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

Hey Charles, how about you get yourself an avatar photo. That generic image looks “unfinished”.

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

I’ve been trying to get ahold of CP from CP Johnson for several weeks now to inquire on his wood selection. I just about had given him up for being out of business because I could never get a return phone call from him. I guess I’ll just go down to his shop in person. The really sad part is I only live 15min from his location! Good to know he’s still around :)

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

Justin57

Scott, Just an fyi…. his hours are Thurs. – Sat. : 8:30am – 4:30pm , Mon. – Wed. by appointment

View WoodyMark's profile

WoodyMark

I agree with a1Jim…Someone that lives close enough to “buzz on over” to Charles’ shop is one lucky dog in my book. I can’t even buzz down to a lumber yard where I live…they don’t exist.

I like how you say that Charles was playing around and made this…lol…the Charles Neil Swamp Art Table is absolutely amazing. You nailed it though, he ended up with a museum quality piece ‘just playing around’.

You have yourself a great looking natural edge piece as well, and I think you did excellent! Do you plan on doing more projects with the natural edge look? If so, take some more pictures/videos of the carving process so everyone gets an idea of how much time is involved.

-- "Don't ask me how I know that"-CN

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

Nice work. It really looks good.

helluvawreck aka Charles