Live Edge Table

Review by Justin57 posted 04-28-2013 04:40 PM 3151 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Live Edge Table Live Edge Table Live Edge Table Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently went to visit with my friend Charles Neil (New Market, VA), at his shop. Our friend Jim Pell was there building a corner cabinet and during my visit I went with Jim to C.P. Johnson Lumber (Elkwood, VA), to pick out some tiger maple. While there CP found me a very nice slab of cherry (8/4×17” x 7’), so I bought it with the intent to make a sofa table with a live edge look. With assistance and input from Charles, I spent 2 days carving the top, 2 days carving the legs and another day carving the aprons to end up with a nice sofa table for my oldest daughter.

Oh…......while I was building this table, Charles was playing around too and built this:

View Justin57's profile

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

#1 posted 04-28-2013 04:46 PM

Great job Carl this turned out very well. I’m entirely enviousness of folks who can just tool over to Charles shop when the want to. Beautiful table
I’m a little confused what this is a review of ? Did you attend Charles finishing class also?

-- Custom furniture

View whitebeast88's profile

#2 posted 04-28-2013 09:52 PM

very nice beautiful table.i wouldn’t be able to do anything being afraid i’d do my normal and mess something up.
thanks for sharing….

-- Marty.Athens,AL

View John Ormsby's profile

John Ormsby

#3 posted 04-28-2013 09:53 PM

Nice table Justin. Yeah, Charles has a nice shop.

CP Johnson has some great curly wood. I would highly recommend him to anyone in the area.

-- Oldworld, Fair Oaks, Ca

View jakeobean's profile

#4 posted 04-28-2013 10:40 PM

Great job Carl….The table looks great…..(jim p. aka jakeobean)....Unfortunately I had to leave before you had completed the table…...glad to see the photographs finished…

-- Jakeobean, Maryland

#5 posted 04-28-2013 11:35 PM

sorry jim. i posted a reply on the thread and then went to post this project. Apparently I clicked on a wrong button.

Is there an Admin out there that can help me either move this or delete it?

View CharlesNeil's profile

#6 posted 04-29-2013 01:32 PM

This table when the top and aprons darken (cherry) will take on a whole new complection, but it was quite beautiful as is , a photo just doesnt do it justice .

Nice job !!!!

View StumpyNubs's profile

#7 posted 04-29-2013 04:26 PM

Hey Charles, how about you get yourself an avatar photo. That generic image looks “unfinished”.

-- Subscribe to "Stumpy Nubs Woodworking Journal"- One of the crafts' premiere online publications:

View ScottKaye's profile

#8 posted 04-29-2013 06:29 PM

I’ve been trying to get ahold of CP from CP Johnson for several weeks now to inquire on his wood selection. I just about had given him up for being out of business because I could never get a return phone call from him. I guess I’ll just go down to his shop in person. The really sad part is I only live 15min from his location! Good to know he’s still around :)

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

#9 posted 04-29-2013 09:30 PM

Scott, Just an fyi…. his hours are Thurs. – Sat. : 8:30am – 4:30pm , Mon. – Wed. by appointment

View WoodyMark's profile

#10 posted 05-02-2013 01:17 PM

I agree with a1Jim…Someone that lives close enough to “buzz on over” to Charles’ shop is one lucky dog in my book. I can’t even buzz down to a lumber yard where I live…they don’t exist.

I like how you say that Charles was playing around and made this…lol…the Charles Neil Swamp Art Table is absolutely amazing. You nailed it though, he ended up with a museum quality piece ‘just playing around’.

You have yourself a great looking natural edge piece as well, and I think you did excellent! Do you plan on doing more projects with the natural edge look? If so, take some more pictures/videos of the carving process so everyone gets an idea of how much time is involved.

-- "Don't ask me how I know that"-CN

View helluvawreck's profile

19499 posts in 1954 days

#11 posted 05-02-2013 01:19 PM

Nice work. It really looks good.

helluvawreck aka Charles