"variable" speed trigger

Review by Johnny Boy posted 04-28-2013 02:46 AM 1180 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
"variable" speed trigger No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

First of all, I’d like to explain that this is not the saw I have ordered from Home Depot Canada.
A guy made a mistake somewhere and sent me this one instead of the 13 Amp 6536-21.
After multiple calls, they offered to refund less than the difference but I had to use the saw anyway so
I kept it. HD really s**ks in Canada. Last time I buy stuff from them.

So I have received the 6519-22. The metal locks on the case are working very well.
The case is just big enough for the saw, even the manual does not stay in place.
Forget about storing blades. One point removed.
First impression about the overall quality of the saw is excellent.
Good shape and weight balance, good grip. The motor looks powerful enough to destroy a whole house
without overheating.

The rotating handle could be useful is such cases but I have never used it.
Very easy thumb button to unlock it, even with saw running.
I do think the removable cable is totally useless. Just a question to engineers: why ?.
A special connector, unable to find elsewhere on the market. A source of problems from my pov.

The blade changing mechanism is convenient. Not always easy to access, depending on the position of reciprocating system. The adjustable foot could be a little longer, I mean 1.5” more.

Then, the mess begins. The “variable” speed trigger is really “variable”. I mean that the speed changes during operation. The first time I used the saw, the weather was really cold here in Canada, around -20C.
The saw started very slowly then began to accelerate. I thought that the system was warming up.
Today was +20C and the same problem occured. Put the setting on the first speed, the lowest one.
Pull the trigger fully and the saw will start to move, then accelerate, then slow down.
And the speed changes according to the load. I had an old Mastercraft saw paid 25$ that never did the same.
Very disappointing and frustrating when you need a constant speed. This one was 145$.
Last thing, on lowest speeds, the effective range of the trigger is only the last 10 or 15%.
Another point removed.

I have contacted Milwaukee several weeks ago, they never replied.
I hope you were interested in this review and it helped you to chose a reciprocating saw.
Thanks for your time and patience reading approximative english from a frenchy.

View redryder's profile

redryder

#1 posted 04-28-2013 05:24 AM

I have owned this tool for at least 10 years and used it in countless demolitions. It has been one of the most reliable and efficient tools I own.

The metal locks on the case are working very well. Really!!!!!!!

I do think the removable cable is totally useless.

The “variable” speed trigger is really “variable”_

This is one of the funniest reviews I have read on this form. I doubt you even know what this tool is used for…............................

-- mike...............

#2 posted 04-28-2013 11:47 AM

This is the last time I’m losing time trying to help other people here. You are condescending and your aggressiveness is totally free.

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

#3 posted 04-28-2013 12:55 PM

It would be nice if we could ban people for their rudeness. Too bad we don’t have an ignore button! Maybe a 1 week no post penalty for their first offence etc etc.. Redryder.. Grow up dude. No one wants to hear you bash a fellow member because you think you have more knowledge than someone else. Johhny Boy, you keep on posting your reviews, I found it well written and well explained. I would like to apologize for the idiots we have on these forums, but you gotta take the bad with the good.

Scott

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

View BigAl98's profile

BigAl98

#4 posted 04-28-2013 01:17 PM

Please don’t let one bad comment stop you from helping the rest of us. I found your review excellent! Your written english is excellent!

Al

-- Al,New Jersey -To thine own self be true

View Swampy's profile

Swampy

#5 posted 04-28-2013 06:18 PM

I agree Dont let a rude person dictate your actions, I found it as an acurate review. I have had my own issues with Milwaukee in the past and have also not gotten a response from them in the past as well. I consider customer service to be an important part of any purchase. As for LJs I see a whole lot more helpful people around here than rude ones so I just ignore the the rude ones and learn from those that help me.

-- Gary Vondermuehll

View cabmaker's profile

cabmaker

#6 posted 04-28-2013 06:37 PM

Hate to hear of your bad experience. I have had that saw for 11 or 12 yrs. with no complaints except maybe the shoe is a little sloppy. I’m not sure mine would fit nicely into the case without removing the cord and I’ve been able to store Blade’s in my case due to its lidded storage compartment inside the upper case lid. Some of these things may have changed recently, I don’t know but I hope you get some good use from it. JB

View redryder's profile

redryder

#7 posted 04-28-2013 06:43 PM

#8 posted 04-28-2013 07:12 PM

I’d like to thank each of you who has taken the trouble to add kind words.
This saw does not meet my expectations that may be different from yours.
I bought this saw because of the advanced variable speed control. It has
a separate knob to set the max speed of the trigger.
But it’s a fact that this system is not precise enough for my needs.

To make redryder happy, I will change the review to put 5 stars to this saw.
I hope he will appreciate ;-).

View mandatory66's profile

mandatory66

#9 posted 04-30-2013 04:25 AM

I would be sending that saw back to HD for a refund. I have a milwaukee and it has been a brute.I find the detachable cord a positive, if it gets damaged on the job you can easily replace it. Some times its just the luck of the draw, no Co. is perfect.

View KnotRight's profile

KnotRight

#10 posted 05-01-2013 07:45 AM

Hello Johnny, The 6519-22 is actually one of the sweetest sawzall’s out there. The speed trigger will seem a little tricky at first, but as all the moving parts break in, it will start moving alot easier. Using one of these when new in cold weather will do exactly what you mentioned…....(speed varying with a constant swith position). My Dewalts will do the same thing. Forget about precise speeds. These are not meant to be precision saws…...they are made to wreck havoc on most any material on a job site. I always run mine at full trigger speed.

I would not worry about it…... “let er rip”