Quality Control issues at Freud

Review by colvinatch posted 04-27-2013 05:50 PM 2262 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Quality Control issues at Freud No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently purchased this dado set at Woodcraft and after making my first dado cut I noticed a ridge in the middle of the cut, as if the chippers were a fraction smaller that the outside blades, I took it back and exchanged it for another, which did exactly the same thing. When I returned to Woodcraft they put it on one of their table saws and got the same result, a noticeably higher ridge in the middle of the dado cut making the bottom uneven. They began pulling all these off their shelves and measuring them with digital calipers and sure enough every set had the chippers about .032 smaller than the outside blades! more than enough to create a very large ridge at the bottom of the cut. The manager was very apologetic and explained that this was not normal for Freud blades and gave me a good deal on the more expensive version. I put the better version on my saw and it cut perfectly and cleanly.

View colvinatch's profile

colvinatch

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#1 posted 04-27-2013 06:58 PM

I’m sorry to hear about your troubles.

At least Woodcraft customer service gets five stars.

Edit:
I just looked at the reviews of this set on Amazon. There are three 1-star reviews, and two of them explained this same problem. This one if funny, because it comes to a very wrong conclusion:

Don’t order this from Amazon. I ordered two (original and replacement) and both were defective. The chipper blades had a smaller diameter than the cutting blades, resulting in a raised ridge in the middle of the dado groove. I then walked into a local store (Woodcraft) and bought the exact same thing without this defect. The one Amazon is selling has printing on the blades that is sloppier, less crisp than the good version I bought. I think Amazon may be selling a Chinese knock-off of the real thing. Not sure of this, but definitely not the freud quality I read so much about before buying.

-- “While the world with closed eyes sleeps, The sky knows and weeps - steel rain. ” ― Nathan Bell

View mbs's profile

mbs

#2 posted 04-28-2013 01:45 PM

It’s possible that the sets were made in the same production run. I doubt they have 100% inspection. At least they were consistent:)

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.