Never thought I would write this...

Review by ScottStewart posted 481 days ago 2523 views 2 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Never thought I would write this... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

but I have to sing the praises of the Oneway Multi Gauge. I bought a Jet JJ-6CSX about a year ago off craigslist. I brought it home, and did a complete disassembly/cleaning/waxing. Everything went well until I tried to set blades and get this thing to cut. A lot of good LJ’s tried to help me last year and I thought I was ok. I tried it again after winter hibernation and my jointer cut was significantly out of straight. I had tried every method I could find on das Internets to no avail. (John White’s magnet boards, the move the stick method, the joint a board 4 inches and stop method, the Harbor Freight Dial indicator and base method). I was laying a foundation with SWMBO to upgrade to a 8” Grizzly Parallelogram with a helix cutterhead next year.

Out of desperation, I bought a Oneway Multi Gauge. Frankly my thought was that if I didn’t get any better results, it was going back, I wasn’t going to spend over $100 (with tax) on a fairly simple chunk of iron if it didn’t work.

I spent about 3 hours checking the tables to make sure they were within 1 thou of being coplanar (I used HF dial gauges to shim my outfeed table.) I then started the process of setting the knives with the OMG. It was quite an education. I quickly learned that setting each knife is an iterative process where an adjustment on one end would throw off the other end. The second thing I learned is that it is harder than you think to keep the knife at top dead center while adjusting. The last thing I learned is that generally knives will rise up if allowed to do so when tightening the jam bolts. Also tighten the outside bolts first, then the middle ones.

After all my education, I was able to get the knives adjusted so they were less than 1 thou proud of the outfeed. It’s amazing to me how much better this thing cuts now, and where I was getting 28thou of bow over a 3ft board, now I get less than 2.

I am a little bit conflicted on how to rate this. I think it’s overpriced by about $15 compared to what it should cost, but I got results with this when nothing else worked for me. In the end, working is more important than price. 5 stars.

View ScottStewart's profile

ScottStewart

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

Yes, that is a very highly recommended setup tool. I agree its over priced, but it gets the job done faster and more accurately than anything else on the market. The key is having the flat bottom on the dial gauge. This makes it easy to find the true height of the blades rather than having to sneak up on it (sorry Charles Neal.. had to borrow your phrase) with a regular ball tipped dial gauge.

Here’s a tip that I used to keep top dead center. I laid a ruler on end across the jointer tables and clamped it to the jointer fence. I found top dead center and aligned the ruler with it to a an easily identifiable mark on the ruler. I then used a regular shim and lightly tapped it in between the cutter head and the jointer table. This was enough to keep the cutter head from moving until I was time to do the next blade. Rinse and reapeat

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

View Chris208's profile

Chris208

It is overpriced, but I have one too. Setting up a jointer still sucks, but this thing sure helps.

The sent me one with a void in the casting. I complained and they agreed to refund 15%, which was nice.

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

Scott,

I had the same experience with the same jointer last year. I went to an extreame of sorts but my fix allows for the easiest and most accurate adjustment but requires a modification to the jointer. I wrote a two part blog on my mod: http://lumberjocks.com/ic3ss/blog/30122

Basically it’s an index lock for the cutter head and then I use the jointer pal to align and hold the knives. Works like a champ.

Wayne

View TechRedneck's profile

TechRedneck

I picked one up several years ago on sale. I always use it to setup the machines. It was a little pricey, but when you think of the time saved and accuracy over the years you will use it, it is worth it.

Make a little sled for it on the table saw. You can really dial in a fence along the entire length using the slots. That is after you dial in the blade to the slots.

Makes jointer fence setup a breeze along with router bit height, TS blade height and testing for runout on the TS blade. Use it to set up the bandsaw by zeroing out the dial then turn the dial to offset for the thickness of the blade. Then lay it down and set the BS fence for depth of cut. I usually add 1/64 to 1/16 for slop on the cut side and sand down to final thickness. Works like a charm.

-- Mike.... West Virginia. "Man is a tool using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.". T Carlyle

Great info from all of you and will look into one of these after reading this. Thx

View mbs's profile

mbs

I got one last year and it has been worth the money to me.

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.

View jrecord's profile

jrecord

21 posts in 2019 days

I use this for a wide variety of operations in my shop: squaring jointer fence, squaring table saw blade, installing jointer and planer knives, calibrating my jointer depth gauge, leveling table saw wings, etc.

-- Jim in Arvada,Colorado