A lot for very little

Review by Rick M. posted 04-25-2013 03:09 AM 2778 views 6 times favorited 49 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A lot for very little No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I thought my saw was reasonably vibration free for a contractor but on start up and especially shut down it would give a slight shudder. After years of ignoring advice to buy a link belt I did and am sorry I waited so long because it’s like having a new saw. I only thought my saw ran smooth but now there is no more shudder even at shut down and I’d swear it cuts a little smoother though that might be psychosomatic. If you’ve been wanting to try a link belt and have been putting it off, stop procrastinating and go get one. I’ll probably pick up another for my drill press and lathe, neither really need it—or do they?

size: 1/2” x 60”
Price: $24.99 (or $19.99 w/ coupon)

Update 03/2014: after breaking in, the links must have tightened up a bit and I had to remove 2 links but otherwise I’m still very satisfied.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

View GlennsGrandson's profile

GlennsGrandson

#1 posted 04-25-2013 03:14 AM

Thanks for the review, I think that you have convinced me.

-- Grant - S/N Dakota

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

3721 posts in 2005 days

#2 posted 04-25-2013 04:44 AM

+1 Rick I have had one on my TS for probably 25 years or more and when I first installed it on my then 20 year old Craftsman TS I was certainly amazed!

If you look at the reasons these things work you will see common sense; break up the harmonics with independent links and the vibrations are stopped dead.

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

489 posts in 1954 days

#3 posted 04-25-2013 10:43 AM

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View Don W's profile

Don W

#4 posted 04-25-2013 11:06 AM

I agree Rick. And at first I thought the price was high, then I walked into a parts store and bought a v-belt. Thanks for the review.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

#5 posted 04-25-2013 12:08 PM

I use these belts on all my tools and they work fantastic.
Someone on LJ told me the not use them on my Unisaw,
I use them anyway and they work great.
They used to be made in USA but now they are made in Italy and they a little different but they work the same.
Another advantage is that by keeping the bits of the belts which are too long for an application, you soon have enough pieces to make another belt for “free”.
There is a direction to install them, they use to have an arrow printed on them, no longer but the manufacturer website gives all the instruction.

View mikema's profile

mikema

#6 posted 04-25-2013 12:38 PM

I have the HF belts on two of my machines, they work great!

-- Mike ---- Visit my woodworking blog: http://sawdustnewbie.com

View BinghamtonEd's profile (online now)

BinghamtonEd

#7 posted 04-25-2013 12:54 PM

I cannot agree enough. I picked up and old 8” Yates jointer a few weeks back and put one of these on. Now granted, that belt was probably older than I am, and had sat for a while, but there was a remarkable difference once I swapped out to one of these. Thanks for posting the review.

-- - The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

489 posts in 1954 days

#8 posted 04-25-2013 02:52 PM

Thanks for that graphic, Bert! I checked my saw and had installed mine backwards!

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#9 posted 04-25-2013 04:09 PM

I have heard this same advice given in a number of places. Unfortunately I haven’t acted on it yet. Thanks for reminding me.

helluvawreck aka Charles

#10 posted 04-25-2013 08:10 PM

You are welcome Mark.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#11 posted 04-25-2013 08:11 PM

I started using these with my jointer (1930s Craftsman with funky motor mount) and it reduced the vibration quite a bit.

Now I’ve got them on the Jet TS I’m re-furbishing and have enough left over to do my band saw as well.

The way Bert shows the installation is the “correct” way, and will certainly provide maximum drive power. But I’ve found that they run much quieter the other way, and I’ve never had an issue with them slipping.

The key thing about these link belts is that they can not take a “set” like regular drive belts can. This is when a tool sits unused for a long time and the belt forms to the pulley diameters at each end. Then when the tool is operated, the belt runs with a pulsing vibration.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

#12 posted 04-25-2013 08:16 PM

Matt,
Interesting as the instruction say that the belts run quieter the way they are on the instruction above.

View Billp's profile

Billp

#13 posted 04-25-2013 08:47 PM

Matt I added a link belt to my contractors saw its a powermatic. My pullys were to narrow so I found some the right width but the bore was to small. So I took them to a machine shop and had them bored out. It works fantastic and runs a lot smoother . I cut a lot of 8/4 Mahogany and with a thin kerf blade my saw can Handel it with ease.

-- Billp

View patcollins's profile

patcollins

#14 posted 04-25-2013 09:41 PM

Yep I agree, unfortunately the Red ones and Green ones are just slightly different and you can’t mix them together, so I switched all mine to the green ones from Harbor Freight and gave my red belt away to a friend that gave me a jointer.

View Fuzzy's profile

Fuzzy

#15 posted 04-25-2013 09:44 PM

Several forums have had great controversy over the benefits (or lack thereof) of link belts. I tried them years ago, and have never looked back. I have them on every tool in my shop including 2 on my Woodmaster, and 3 on my Grizz 1023. They have been great.

-- - dabbling in sarcasm is foolish … if you’re not proficient at it, you end up looking stupid … ... ...