Value

Review by Mark Davisson posted 04-22-2013 08:09 PM 3190 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Value No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had become frustrated with my wooden, shop-made feather boards. I could never get the length of the “feathers” or the spacing/gaps between them to be just right for the type and thickness of wood being used. They were either too stiff or too weak. Knowing I was going to be ripping a considerable amount of thin stock, I wanted something safer, so I decided to give Harbor Freight a try.

I’ve used this feather board every day for the past month – mainly on my TS but also for some operations on the router table. It has performed flawlessly. I was a little concerned about the durability of the plastic wedges that ride in the mitre track, but I was pleased to discover that I don’t have to tighten the T-bolts excessively to secure the feather board in position.

I’m not sure if I’ll ever use the angle finder, but for the $4 I spent on the product, I don’t need to use that feature to understand that this product at this price represents tremendous value to me.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

505 posts in 2042 days

View Jeff in Huntersville's profile

Jeff in Huntersville

402 posts in 1919 days

#1 posted 04-22-2013 11:08 PM

Thanks for the review. You’re right the wedges don’t seem likely to work but they hold. I bought one of these at a woodworking show several years ago. It’s my go to feather board. I never could remember where I bought it. Now you’ve steered me in the right direction. Another HF gem!

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#2 posted 04-23-2013 01:12 AM

I’ve had one for several years and if you tighten the knobs just snug it won’t move. It’s a good value.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View garbonsai's profile

garbonsai

#3 posted 04-24-2013 12:58 PM

I have three of them for use in various places around the shop. They are indeed gems. And thanks for the reminder that they have an angle finder built it. Weird how certain things you see every day slowly fade into the periphery…

-- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#4 posted 04-24-2013 02:29 PM

I’m with you Mark, made wooden ones years ago. Even though they worked, and finished many projects with them, they never had that right feeling in them to trust enough for certain projects. The hf are pretty much the go to feather boards now. I have the higher price ones but don’t see much difference. Great value for the price.

-- --Dave, Downers Grove, Il. When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams

View Milo's profile

Milo

862 posts in 2044 days

#5 posted 04-24-2013 02:59 PM

Thanks for the review. I’ve needed a featherboard for ages, and I have a HF right in town. Thanks!

-- Beer, Beer, Thank God for Beer. It's my way of keeping my mind fresh and clear...

View DustyJohn's profile

DustyJohn

#6 posted 04-27-2013 01:27 PM

I have some of these. I found they only work in one direction because of the angle finder. I removed them and now I can use them either way, right of left. These are well worth the money, especially when they are on sale.

View mantwi's profile

mantwi

#7 posted 12-13-2013 02:35 AM

Hello again Mark. I’ve been needing a better feather board than my shop made monstrosity and based on this review I have found it. I’ll be picking one up tomorrow and appreciate the heads up on this product. By the way, I’ve always seen myself as more of an enigma than a puzzle. Have a Merry Christmas. Peace.

View mantwi's profile

mantwi

#8 posted 12-13-2013 10:51 PM

Picked up the featherboard today and after using it am well pleased. It’s amazing how much difference such an inexpensive item can make. Rick M is right, just snug it up and it doesn’t move and if the plastic wedges eventually do give out I can easily make some wooden replacements. Great value.