Very Impressive Adhesive

Review by bbqking posted 05-26-2008 07:23 AM 4948 views 2 times favorited 24 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Very Impressive Adhesive No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is the first time I’ve used a hide glue and I must say that I am very pleased with everything about it. I have always used TiteBond glues in the past but this is a far superior glue (in my opinion) than the others. It stays where you apply it, does not run or drip like other TiteBond glues, and gives you more time for complicated glueups. Many times in my projects, I apply glue with a toothpick in mortises and again on their matching tenons. This glue rolls easily off the pick, leaving an even spreading of glue that does not move or drip, even if you set that portion aside and spread glue on the matching tenon. Once the pieces are matched for clamping, you can feel the glue take hold. There is very little overrun or cleanup because this glue stays where you put it. The only reason I’m not giving it 5 stars is because this is the first time I have used it. bbqKing

View Taigert's profile

Taigert

#1 posted 05-26-2008 07:44 AM

I have heard a lot of good things about hide glue, such as being able to reactivate it years down the road if need be.

-- Taigert - Milan, IN

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#2 posted 05-26-2008 12:14 PM

Thanks for the review. Does it indicate what the shelf-life is?

#3 posted 05-26-2008 03:40 PM

I bought this bottle about 3 weeks ago and the expiration date is 2-25-09, so shelf-life of a year?

View BroDave's profile

BroDave

#4 posted 05-26-2008 03:58 PM

Hey bbq, is this glue dark colored or clear when dry?

-- .

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#5 posted 05-26-2008 04:33 PM

Charles Neil likes to use liquid hide glue for his dovetails and i can see why from your review. thanks for the post.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#6 posted 05-26-2008 05:13 PM

I think I will have to try some out. Thanks

View gator9t9's profile

gator9t9

#7 posted 05-26-2008 05:32 PM

bbqking
Thanks for the great review ….I just looked up Titebond Liquid Hide glue on the titebond site .

I was wondering if this was a true Hide glue and derived from “Collagens” (protein from bones and connective tissues of Hides of cattle ).
Not that I am a supporter of non-use of these items …I remembered that one of the qualities of hide glue was the pro-con of adding liquid to a Hide Glue joint and it can be taken apart. So obviously Titebond Hide Glue is an interior use product …

I will be trying this glue out also ..as the same reasons you said you disliked other glues (thin-ness and liquidity ) those same qualities I dislike about many glues …
Thanks again for the great review ..

-- Mike in Bonney Lake " If you are real real real good your whole life, You 'll be buried in a curly maple coffin when you die."

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

#8 posted 05-26-2008 06:17 PM

I like this stuff for fixing boo boos. If there are loose dovetails or a little tear out you can put a little hide glue at the defect, dump some sanding dust of the appropriate species over the top of the glue and sand it in with a random orbit sander and a used up sanding disk. The friction cures the glue and levels the paste into the defect. The joy of the hide glue is that it will take stain and color up with finish. an attribute lacking with PVA adhesives.

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

#9 posted 05-26-2008 06:52 PM

The labeling on the bottle does not list any “ingredients”, but I would assume it is a true hide glue because that is the way it is presented, possibly with some chemical additives to extend shelf-life & etc. You would have to contact TiteBond to know for sure.
When the glue dries, it is transparent but has a brownish color, like maybe a pecan stain w/ a couple coats of gloss poly.

View Zuki's profile

Zuki

#10 posted 05-27-2008 01:16 AM

Taken from their MSDS these appear to be the chemical additives.

SECTION 2 – COMPOSITION AND INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

-- BLOG - http://www.colorfulcanary.com/search/label/Zuki

View Don Niermann  's profile

Don Niermann

#11 posted 05-27-2008 02:31 AM

Its reversable, strong as yellow, why not use it.l

-- WOOD/DON (...one has the right to ones opinion but not the right to ones own facts...)

#12 posted 05-27-2008 02:39 AM

Thanks for the review. I have never used hide glue before but it does sound interesting. The only drawback to it is the set up time, I believe, is overnight unlike yellow glue which can be unclamped within a half hour or so.

View Don Niermann  's profile

Don Niermann

#13 posted 05-27-2008 02:51 AM

Yes it is not completly set for 24 hrs, but is is able to setup by rubbing in a few seconds and needs no clamping.

#14 posted 05-27-2008 03:48 AM

I beg to differ, both Scott and Don. The clamping time with this TiteBond glue is, in fact 30 minutes, the same as other TiteBond glues. You do have to “clamp” it as you would any other project. Yes it is set in 30-40 minutes. This tells me you have not used this product. Since trying it out, I have ordered more of it from Rockler and intend to use it exclusively in the future with the exception of laminations, etc., where TiteBond II would be appropriate. No, I do not work for TiteBond. As always, bbqKing

View Greg3G's profile

Greg3G

#15 posted 05-27-2008 03:54 AM

I’ve used this on a number of projects, mostly repair and refinishes. I love this stuff. It is more convenent than having a smelly glue pot on, and I don’t have to wait for it to warm up. It doesn’t leave glue marks like PVA. And most importantly, it is historicly correct when doing a repair on a period piece. I use it exclusivly except for joints that may come in contact with water, such as a cutting board. Give it a try, I think you will grow to like it.

-- Greg - Charles Town, WV