For $2.50, I'll deal with the shedding grit...at $3.50, definitely not.

Review by paxorion posted 04-22-2013 01:07 AM 1737 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
For $2.50, I'll deal with the shedding grit...at $3.50, definitely not. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I wanted to post a quick review of the Harbor Freight Aluminum Oxide Sanding Sponges. I purchased a set of coarse, medium, and fine sanding sponges for $2.50 per pack of 10 (total cost was $7.50), using a coupon I found in Wood Magazine. All recent coupons for this item has been at $3.50 per pack of 10. My logic was, why not take a chance for what I might spend on lunch while the coupon is still valid.

My first usage of the coarse grit could only be described as “epic fail”. While the sanding action did take care of knocking down a few high spots on the hard maple cutting board I was working on, the wood dust was mixed too perfectly with the black grit material that started falling off. I don’t doubt that I had expected some of the grit material to fall off, but there was quite a bit more than I had expected.

Maybe there will come a point when loose grit will be done for and the sponges will stop shedding, but I’m not holding my breath. And while I won’t be rushing back to return the sanding sponges to recoup my $7.50 for a celebratory McDonald’s extra value meal , I think I will relegate them for some skill-builder pine or paint projects I have on the horizon.

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

#1 posted 04-22-2013 01:15 AM

As much as I like most of the HF offerings, the Sand paper and sanding blocks aren’t included.
I’ve gotten better at the Dollar store.

Thanks for the review!

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View Stephenw's profile

Stephenw

#2 posted 04-22-2013 02:36 AM

Harbor Freight abrasives; like sanding with burned toast.

-- http://www.garagebulletin.com/

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

#3 posted 04-22-2013 02:58 AM

+1 Stephenw Harbor Freight abrasives; like sanding with burned toast

LMAO

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.

View redryder's profile

redryder

#4 posted 04-22-2013 06:23 AM

I bought these once and I have at some points in my life bought crap before but I don’t think there is a word to describe how much worse than crap these sanding blocks are. You might as well wrap a five dollar bill around a block of wood and sand with that…...........................

-- mike...............

View stefang's profile

stefang

13101 posts in 1999 days

#5 posted 04-22-2013 11:02 AM

I’m glad you made this purchase and reviewed it as I got a lot of good laughs from the comments. Well worth the $7.50 as long as it isn’t my money.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

#6 posted 04-22-2013 12:35 PM

Glad I can help everyone with a good laugh. Maybe I should say $7.50 was well spent for the laughs in writing my review and reading the comments.

-- paxorion

View poopiekat's profile (online now)

poopiekat

#7 posted 04-22-2013 02:54 PM

Would you patronize a grocery store with such hit-or-miss quality?

#8 posted 04-22-2013 05:30 PM

poopiekat, I actually do shop at grocery stores with hit-or-miss quality. For example, the Asian supermarkets in my area have substantially lower prices than say Safeway, and I have been very successful in categorizing their products into good buys, use immediately, or pass. This conversation however, is likely something that would go to an off-topic forum post if desired.

This actually raises an interesting point, as I am one who is willing to small amounts of money to experience for myself what others talk about, hence my decision to buying the “burnt toast” sponges. Now I know.

-- paxorion

View poopiekat's profile (online now)

poopiekat

#9 posted 04-22-2013 06:56 PM

My analogy was submitted here only for its value in what happens when you knowingly buy oats that have already been through the horse.

#10 posted 04-23-2013 01:41 AM

poopiekat, for the majority, i totally agree with you. call me weird, but maybe i just like the gamble of trying to find HF gems, and i certainly would consider myself the minority when the odds are usually against me. i do have my limits thou, as i certainly wouldn’t have spent over $10 on this experiment to experience for myself whether or not it could provide me with a “good enough” impression.

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

#11 posted 04-23-2013 01:43 AM

Read the package, they are made from recycled toilet paper! ROFL

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.

View live4ever's profile

live4ever

#12 posted 04-23-2013 02:01 AM

I got some of these recently as well. Work fine for drywall…obviously not so great for wood.

-- Optimists are usually disappointed. Pessimists are either right or pleasantly surprised. I tend to be a disappointed pessimist.

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

#13 posted 04-23-2013 01:57 PM

Yeah, I’m not sure a sanding sponge is the best tool for a cutting board. That said, I have bought abrasives at HF once and I’ll never make that mistake again.

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

#14 posted 04-23-2013 03:31 PM

I’ve had luck with their OSS sanding drums (on the Ridgid OSS). I never tried the sanding sponges though. After reading this review I won’t.

View rasp's profile

rasp

#15 posted 04-27-2013 01:14 AM

don’t really think these are made for finish sanding of wood anyways. maybe drywall or auto body?