Shop Flash from Grizzly

Review by redryder posted 04-20-2013 07:10 AM 1906 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Shop Flash from Grizzly Shop Flash from Grizzly Shop Flash from Grizzly Click the pictures to enlarge them

I suppose there are two types of people. Those who like to talk on the phone and those who don’t. I would be squarely in the second group. My wife would be in the first group as she likes to talk and talk. When the phone rings at my house, I look the other way. But there are times when I am waiting for that important return phone call and the wife is not home.

My phone out in the shop works fine with just the stereo going but if I am using the dust collector and almost any other power tool I can not hear the phone. While ordering something from Grizzly about four or five months ago I stumbled across this unit that plugs into a wall outlet and has a disk that sits under the phone. When the phone rings, the unit which is easily attached to the wall, flashes a strobe lite and has a loud ringer which goes off with each ring of the telephone. You can set it up to have just the strobe or just the loud ringer or both or set it to off.

Now as skeptical as I always am, I figured this $6.50 unit couldn’t be much but if it only worked a short while I could trash it and not be out much. I have been surprised how well this works. It has never failed to work when the phone rings. Working at some machines in my shop put my back to the phone and the strobe light works great to alert me to an incoming phone call.

I have discovered that since the unit works off of vibration, it can be set off by using certain machines. My Dewalt 735 Planer will set it off and if I am using something close to the phone, it will set it off. The phone should be at a distance from large machines like the tablesaw or spindle sander etc. I have tested it with a cell phone and with the cell phone sitting on the attached round disk it works like a champ. Super easy to install and comes with 14 foot of cord. The base unit plugs into an outlet and requires no batteries.

If not missing a phone call is what you need, this unit might be for you. It works great for me…..................

-- mike...............

View redryder's profile

redryder

View guitchess's profile

guitchess

#1 posted 04-20-2013 10:47 AM

Thanks for the review. This tool seems as though it would be very handy for just about all of us. I am wondering if would work off the vibration of a cell phone. I don’t even have a home phone. I hook my cell up to a stereo so that helps, but a strobe would be hard to miss.

View BigAl98's profile

BigAl98

#2 posted 04-20-2013 01:15 PM

Thanks! This is great! I thought these units need to be in the telephone circuit…not just near them. I’m going to get one.

-- Al,New Jersey -To thine own self be true

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5093 posts in 1962 days

#3 posted 04-20-2013 03:03 PM

Interesting…! My wife and I were just last night discussing such a device for my shop and it is good that you mentioned that it does work with a cell phone since neither of us use land lines. I am also looking for a similar device that could work with a doorbell type button because sometimes my wife will stand outside of my sanding room and she says I go into a trance when working and rarely see her looking through the glass in the door.

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#4 posted 04-20-2013 05:11 PM

Interesting product. I’m like you Mike in that I don’t answer the phone unless really necessary.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View DeLayne Peck's profile

DeLayne Peck

#5 posted 04-20-2013 08:43 PM

I purposely don’t have a phone in the shop. I can turn on everything I own in the shop and it is still quieter than the Old Girl Network beating the jungle drums in the house.

-- DJ Peck, Lincoln Nebraska. I think of my shop as Fritter City. I am the Mayor.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#6 posted 04-20-2013 09:37 PM

Thank you for the review… Interesting… I am also in Group 2… LOL

View Planeman40's profile

Planeman40

#7 posted 04-21-2013 12:08 AM

Thanks for your review!!!

I just ordered two of these, one for the shop, one for the bedroom. As an aging old codger whose hearing is slowly going to hell, I have been looking for something like this I can use with my portable house phones. Everything else I have seen has to be plugged into the phone line.

Note: I am using the Ooma Internet-based telephone system with my portable home phones and LOVE it. I make NO monthly telephone payments and it works with any home phone system. It also provides 911 emergency service and answering recording plus some other stuff and you keep your old telephone number. I’m saving around $600 per year. You might want to look into it. This “loud ringer” will work with the Ooma system as I don’t have a phone line any more.

Planeman

-- Always remember: It is a mathematical certainty that half the people in this country are below average in intelligence!

View tomd's profile

tomd

#8 posted 04-21-2013 04:31 AM

Thanks from another old codger with bad hearing, I’m going to order one.

-- Tom D

View Roger's profile

#9 posted 04-21-2013 12:14 PM

Thnx for the review. Looks like a nicely priced little gadget

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#10 posted 04-25-2013 08:28 PM

I’ve got three kids with spry limbs and good knees….

If it’s really important, they’ll come down to the basement man cave and get me.

We still have a land line, but rarely answer the phone…. even being on the do-not-call list, we still get way to many spam calls.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!