AccuScribe Pro - compass, offset marker, scribe...

Review by dmann posted 2249 days ago 5851 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
AccuScribe Pro - compass, offset marker, scribe... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I won this in a promo pack of FastCap and Proxxon goodies at my local Woodcraft grand opening. If I knew how useful this tool was I would have bought one a long time ago.

The first thing I used this for was the obvious use – drawing circles. No surprises here, its the $0.99 compass I used in grade school … on steroids. The AccuScribe has multiple joints so the pencil can be adjusted to be perpindicular to the surface you are marking instead of angled. Each joint has a brass knob which locks it into place.

Where this tools really shines is scribing surface profiles. Remove the compass point and you can use the flat parts of the base to accurately scribe profiles. Because of the articulated arm that holds the pencil you can trace along one surface and position the pencil to mark on another. Now that I have a tool to accurately scribe profiles I find myself using it all the time.

Pros:
Sharpener attached to unit.
Extra compass points included, also attach to unit so they don’t get lost.

Cons:
Nice brass knurled knobs but they are sticky and hard to adjust. Probably just need to be broken in.

It retails for about $17.

-- David / Durham, NC

View dmann's profile

dmann

View Don Niermann  's profile

Don Niermann

Had it for a year,l love it.

-- WOOD/DON (...one has the right to ones opinion but not the right to ones own facts...)

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

that looks cool. it is like a regular compass on steroids! thanks for the post.

View StanCurtis's profile

StanCurtis

I use mine for marking carvings to get the features even. Set it on the bench with pencil raised to appropriate level and mark the other sides. Works much better that my home-made hole board.

-- Stan Curtis