Harbor Freight Dial Indicator with flex mount

Review by dschlic1 posted 471 days ago 2951 views 2 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight Dial Indicator with flex mount Harbor Freight Dial Indicator with flex mount No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this dial indicator to align my table saw. I choose this unit because, rather then getting a magnetic base, this unit uses a vise grip type pliers and a flexible shaft. The flexible shaft consists of a series of tubes and round rings. Inside the tubes and rings is a steel cable. On one end of the shaft is a mounting clamp for the dial indicator, and also a screw adjustment to adjust the over all length of the shaft.
On the other end is a boss that screws into the vise grip pliers and also a lever that is connected to an eccentric that is in turn connected to the steel cable inside the shaft. Moving the lever, tightens the steel cable, placing pressure on the rings and cylinders holding them in place.
Over all this unit works, and I have successfully aligned my saw with it. However the shaft does exhibit a certain amount of drift and does not become completely rigid. For this reason I give it three stars. I think that this dial indicator set is more useful than say the Woodpecker dial indicator, because it allows you to measure in more than one place. In this sense it is more versatile. And with the HF 20% off coupon, is cheaper. I would definitely recommend this unit.

View dschlic1's profile

dschlic1

1 comment so far

View Richard's profile

Richard

Thanks for the Review , I am planing on getting this for my SCMS setu since it is alum and the magnetic base won’t work on it.