the earmuffs every woodworker should have

Review by moshel posted 2287 days ago 4166 views 1 time favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
the earmuffs every woodworker should have No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Got these for my B-day from my wife. I guess that she was getting tired of having to enter the workshop and kick me while i was working to attract my attention.
The earmuff are class 5 with radio and active surround noise filtering. in simple words, you can work with the earmuffs and still hear what you are doing, but completely protect your hearing. I have worked with them for a week now and they are terrific. they are so good that I actually use them also in the house to hear radio. the earmuffs are of very high quality and you hardly notice them (although they are not very light). no heat, sweating and itching were observed, even after working for extended periods (having said that, its winter here).
i find that having these earmuffs on all the time solved three important issues:
1. i used to spend 90% of my shop time looking for my earmuffs (and i have two!)
2. i used to “skip” putting earmuffs for some of the tools, although deep inside i knew they are two loud.
3. i sometimes left the earmuffs on even when not working on noisy equipment. this is also very dangerous. you can’t hear all sorts of warnings sign.

the earing experience is weird but you get used to it very quickly. the earmuffs clip and cancel any loud noise and amplify other noises. works like charm… set to maximal amplification, you can have a taste of a day in the life of superman. its not as easy as it looks in the movie….
The am/fm radio is very good and sensitive, with very good channel locking. there is also mp3 port that i am not using.
batteries last forever. i put a pair of very low quality alkaline batteries and managed to forget the earmuffs on for two days. they are still running.

all in all, terrific product. it looks like they are also sold as “Alert”.

moshel

Nice review. I may have to look into these. They sure beat cranking up the radio to drown out the equipment and then get yelled at for having the radio too loud that I can’t hear what my wife is saying. :)

Thanks for the post.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

those look nice. I’ll have to check them out. thanks for the review.

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

sorry.. I missed what you said.. I had my cheap ear protectors on.

-- making sawdust....

moshel

motthunter: NEVER wear your cheap earmuffs when typing on the computer! VERY dangerous!

View reluctant's profile

reluctant

This review came up at the perfect time as I’m in the market for some hearing protection. Thanks for the great review!

View jcees's profile

jcees

Yepper, I’ve got a set from a competing company and wouldn’t take anything for them. They’re sweet enough that I forget I’ve got them on while working. I mean, I can’t even hear my cell phone ring… sweeeeeeet!

Highly recommended.

always,
J.C.

-- When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. -- John Muir

View Joe Cumbo's profile

Joe Cumbo

I have a peltor Alert AM/FM Radio Headset but it doesn’t have the “active surround noise filtering” yours has. How much does this type cost?

Thanks,

Joe

View Garyb6's profile

Garyb6

Amazon has them for $109.99.

-- Garyb6, “True simplicity does not reveal the tremendous effort it requires.” - Somerset Maugham

moshel

the name on amazon is “Peltor M2RX7A Alert AM/FM Radio Headset”. Here it is sold under different name. after using these for 5 months, i still think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. another bonus is that because i wear them all the time, I get no sawdust in my ears :-)

moshel

I have them for a couple of years now and they perform perfectly on daily basis (other than one embarrassing time that i put the batteries the other way around :-).

this is one of my few most cherished tools that I take with me everywhere. I also use it for lawn mowing. i couldn’t and wouldn’t be without it now.

112015 posts in 2209 days

Good review

Great review. I’m getting more used to putting on Ear Protection.

View rrdesigns's profile

rrdesigns

Can you hear your saws, sanders, etc. when the radio is on? I know the danger zone decibels are blocked but what about the rest? I’m just wondering how safe it is if you drown out all of the machine sounds with the radio.

-- Beth, Oklahoma, Rambling Road Designs

moshel

yes, you can hear your machinery. you should be smart enough not to put your radio on such high volume that you wont be able to hear anything…. otherwise, evolution will kick in :-)