My opinion on two digital downloads from Popular Wodworking website

Review by JuanGatico posted 471 days ago 2017 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My opinion on two digital downloads from Popular Wodworking website My opinion on two digital downloads from Popular Wodworking website No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hi LJs!

Since I live in Colombia it’s rather difficult and expensive purchasing books, DVDs and tools in general to be shipped this part of the continent. For that reason I tried some digital downloads, specifically Christopher Schwarz’ video Handplane Basics – A Better Way to Use Bench Planes and Jim Tolpin’s The New Traditional Woodworker.

Handplane Basics – A Better Way to Use Bench Planes
After waiting nearly an hour I started watching the video and what a nasty surprise, it is a compressed video, so when you use Full Screen, the quality suffers. I asked Megan Fitzpatrick if it were possible to download the full DVD, I don’t care to wait because as the download progresses I can do any other thing; unfortunately is not possible to download the full thing.

CONCLUSION: If you want this video I recommend to purchase the DVD not the digital download.

The New Traditional Woodworker
OK, I have noticed that the books sold by Christopher Schwarz in his Lost Art press website are converted in .epub format, this is better than a PDF file. This is not the case in Popular Woodworking, here, many electronic books are PDFs.

First of all I must say that this download also included Tom Fidgen’s book MADE BY HAND, that is, you get two electronic books for the price of one.

I started reading The New Traditional Woodworker and it calls to my attention that this electronic PDF book was made in such a way that you see two pages at the same time , so if you are reading in your iPad and you want to read a single page you have to zoom with your fingers until you see the area of the page you are interested in, I think this is not the right way to do this. When reading the second book: MADE BY HAND you can see one single page at the time in your screen.

CONCLUSION: Again, if you want to purchase this book, go for the printed edition.

Thanks for reading.

View JuanGatico's profile

JuanGatico

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

Thanks. I have been less than happy with a number of digital downloads from them as well.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

I have not tried any digital downloads from them but I did download the New Traditional Woodworker for my Barnes and Nobel Nook and it was great for that. no double pages and all the graphics were clear and easy to see.

Sorry to hear some of the DDs from Popular Woodworking are not that great. IMO, anything that is a DVD source, I will get as a DVD.

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies and the wall gets in the way.. - Mike -

View Phil53's profile

Phil53

As for the pdf showing two pages at the same time, it is a page setting that you can change.
If you open your PDF file go to View (at the top) and then to Page Display you can change it to single page.

Hope that helps in the future.

Thanks for the reveiw.

View JuanGatico's profile

JuanGatico

Hi Phil

As a matter of fact, my Acrobat Reader is set up for: Page Presentation-Single Page, in this case the original file was made to have two pages in the screen at the same time. Thanks for the tip anyway.

View Lwin's profile

Lwin

Actually I have had two defective DVDs from them and gave up trying to get a replacement the third time. They make them using a plain old home Mac with iDVD, I can spot it a mile away.

They need someone as adept with electronic media as they are with hand tools.