Gone

Review by Blackie_ posted 04-10-2013 05:49 PM 2210 views 0 times favorited 26 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Average rating: 3.5
4 reviews total
Add my Review

Gone No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Gone

-- Randy - If I'm not on LJ's then I'm making Saw Dust. Please feel free to visit my store location at http://www.facebook.com/randy.blackstock.custom.wood.designs

View Mark Shymanski's profile

Mark Shymanski

#1 posted 04-10-2013 06:13 PM

Is it still under warranty?

-- "Checking for square? What madness is this! The cabinet is square because I will it to be so!" Jeremy Greiner LJ Topic#20953 2011 Feb 2

View Monte Pittman's profile

Monte Pittman

#2 posted 04-10-2013 06:14 PM

That kind of thing really ticks me off.

-- Mother Nature created it, I just assemble it.

View woodshaver's profile

woodshaver

#3 posted 04-10-2013 06:19 PM

WOW! I have been thinking about buying one of these for some time now but kept putting it off. I use my drill press with a drum set I have and for the little I do that work ok so far.
I’m glad you posted this revenue Randy. It’s a sham you had to spend more money on a 2nd one. Maybe you could buy a part that would make it work somewhat and then Craigslist it.
Thanks for this review.

-- Tony C St Augustine FL, My high school shop teacher said "You can do it"... Now I can't stop!

View DocSavage45's profile

DocSavage45

#4 posted 04-10-2013 06:40 PM

Randy,

Good luck. It’s a crap shoot.

I looked at Home Depot’s rigid version. Looked pretty rugged, but I am not sure of drum size.

Hey I think Grizzly has a floor model, and now have 6 months financing?

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher

#5 posted 04-10-2013 08:06 PM

I’m just over buying junk, especially if it’s something you use quite often, Rockwell 20 years ago were rock solid but not anymore. Thomas the Rigid would be a good one but for my purposes, I need the round spindle not the belt as the rigid has.

View lepelerin's profile

lepelerin

#6 posted 04-10-2013 08:12 PM

you should have returned it a long time ago. If issues started since day one, what made you keep the unit?
FYI the Ridgid 4424 is a belt and spindle sander.

View copcarcollector's profile

copcarcollector

#7 posted 04-10-2013 08:25 PM

The $200 Rigid has belt AND spindle, several sizes of spindles too! And really good reviews both here and at the HD site.

#8 posted 04-10-2013 08:43 PM

Lep that’s a good question, but I think I have an answer, the equipment I need and use I can’t afford any down time hence the reason I purchased from local and hopefully top quality in the Jet.

I see now what you are talking about on the Ridgid, I didn’t realize but is it still only a 4”? I needed the 6” that’s the reason I bought the Jet and already have a 4” belt sander but having a small shop this Ridgid would be idea, I’ll have to put more thought into this.

Ok just got off the phone with Local HD and they have one in stock so I’ll be taking the Jet back tomorrow and picking up the Ridged, come to find out even thought the Jet is a 6” drum after turning it on, it only comes up to 4” off the top of the table so I’m not getting the true full 6” only 4” that there made my mind up for me.

View CalgaryGeoff's profile

CalgaryGeoff

#9 posted 04-10-2013 08:58 PM

I have a general oscillating spindle sander and it been good for years. No issues with it.

-- If you believe you can or can not do a thing, you are correct.

#10 posted 04-10-2013 09:06 PM

The Ridgid is one of the few models with spindles, belt, and tilting table.
Having used the tilting table and belt feature to chamfer hundreds of tenons, I sure wouldn’t want to give that up. I find I use the belt 95% of the time. The left side is like a 3” spindle, so not much need to switch.
Also the belt fairs gentle curves better, with less tendency to dig in.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

View MT_Stringer's profile (online now)

MT_Stringer

#11 posted 04-10-2013 09:23 PM

I guess you don’t want to hear that I bought the HF model for $89. with coupon from Wood magazine. I have had it about 8 months with mo problems encountered.

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas

#12 posted 04-10-2013 09:43 PM

Stringer

I think this Rockwell is a knock off from the HF and I can see paying that for a HF and that’s good, but for my needs I need something dependable, I’ve been up the HF path and still shop there but only for certain items. I just will-called the Ridgid and will pick it up tomorrow after returning the Jet.

Willie, I could use the belt but I need the round drums as I do a lot of cavity sanding and need sometimes the smallest down to 1/4” at times, I’m hoping that this will also replace my 4” belt sander thus freeing up even more space in my shop.

Thanks everyone for pointing out the Ridgid features to me.

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

#13 posted 04-10-2013 11:40 PM

Ridgid is very versatile. 1/2” to 2” spindles and like Pinto pointed out the large end of the belt is about 3”. The only thing to remember is to stay off the small roller on the belt and you will be fine.
I see that there are a couple of Direct Tool outlets in Texas at the Tanger malls. Give them a call and you may get a good price on one. They have sales often and I saw where someone bought one a while back for 125.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

View DocSavage45's profile

DocSavage45

#14 posted 04-11-2013 02:54 AM

Wow,

Let us know what you think?

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher

View Edwardnorton's profile

Edwardnorton

#15 posted 04-11-2013 06:41 AM

I have had the Harbor Freight version of this and it actually looks identical to your Rockwell. Honestly I have not had one issue with mine. It works the first time, every time. My table is 90 degree perfect to the spindle. I’ve owned this a little over 2 years and I use it almost daily. I lost a lot of faith in Rockwell when I bought their bladerunner. Sorry to read about your aggravation but understand it completely!

-- EdwardNorton