Stumpy Nubs Entertaining Review: Rockler Bench Cookies & Accessories P1

Review by StumpyNubs posted 04-10-2013 01:16 PM 1822 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Stumpy Nubs Entertaining Review: Rockler Bench Cookies & Accessories P1 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

We are producing a new video series which takes the concept of tool reviews and adds a bit of “info-tainment”. No, this isn’t a song and dance kind of thing, it’s a serious tool review, done in a not so serious way. I love to watch tool reviews, but I rarely watch a review just for the sake of watching. I hope this new format changes all of that! You may already own the tools, you may not care about them. But the videos themselves are worth watching!

Anywho- The following four videos are about the Rockler Bench Cookie Plus and the associated accessories. I am a big fan of these things, and while I do own several other brands of bench “cookies”, I prefer the Rockler brand because of the attachable accessories. Full disclosure- Rockler is a sponsor of the new Stumpynubs.com website. But when we do tool reviews, we only do it if we actually use the product in the shop. If we don’t like it, we don’t review it. Period. I won’t say I like something just because a company wants me to, and Rockler is well aware of that.

First- A great video about the Bench Cookie Plus and it’s accessories…

Now a short video about the riser accessories. (I may be wearing a dress in this one…)

NOTE: For some reason I can’t post all four videos on one review page, so please see the second half of this review here.

Thanks for checking out the review! Now go check out the NEW Stumpynubs.com website where you can watch dozens of episodes of Blue Collar Woodworking, countless video tips and reviews, get project plans and lots more!

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

#1 posted 04-10-2013 01:30 PM

I thought the dog curling up in the rocker pretty much stole the show.

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

#2 posted 04-10-2013 07:55 PM

When you add them up on to the four-cookie height, it looks a little shaky to me. I’d love to see you actually using the jigsaw on the bench cookies.

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

#3 posted 04-10-2013 07:56 PM

Oh, and I bought the bench cookies about a month before they came out with their second version, so I may still be a little bitter. :-)

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

#4 posted 04-10-2013 08:23 PM

Four is loss stable than two or three. But four cookie height is really overkill for cutting with a jig saw. I would think the four cookie height would be for other types of work where you just want the piece closer to your eyes, not really for power tool cutting. Besides, I would use more than just three like I did in the demo.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#5 posted 04-11-2013 05:46 PM

I came across some dense, tacky rubber samples and cut them into circles… which gets the no-slip part covered…

Now I need to dig out my old hockey bag from the attic and stick them to some old pucks to get the lift part covered.

Ah…. and maybe a T-nut for the ‘plus’ part…

Unless you catch a sale at Rockler… you can get better pricing on T-track here.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View Mip's profile

Mip

#6 posted 04-12-2013 09:57 PM

Nice dress there, fella. I agree with CharlieM1958, it wouldn’t be a show without the dog on the chair.

#7 posted 04-12-2013 10:01 PM

Well, I was entertained. Sorry you weren’t.

View dorr1's profile

dorr1

#8 posted 04-21-2013 03:54 AM

Kewl review Stumpy. It was informative and entertaining. Keep ‘em coming!

-- -Dan