R4512 - 3 out of 3 at my HD had alignment problems

Review by Craftsman70 posted 04-09-2013 01:50 PM 7391 views 2 times favorited 31 comments Add to Favorites Watch
R4512 - 3 out of 3 at my HD had alignment problems No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is not a full and extensive review, because I only had my R4512 for a couple of days. I’m doing this review for others who were in the situation I was. I was looking for a newer saw in the $500 price range and really wanted the R4512. I wanted to love the saw. I looked past the negative reviews believing the alignment/trunnion issues were only on earlier models and had been addressed.

Opening the box, it all looked good. The wheels and lift system are the best. I liked the riving knife setup and easy to use blade guard. I really liked the internal motor and dust collection. However, every time I moved the blade height wheel, the arbor and blade shifted side to side. It seems turning that wheel somehow racked the rear trunnion. Raise the blade a little and the blade moved 1/16” to the left. Lower it a little and the blade shifts 1/16th to the right. Now that might be something you could live with if it moved parallel to the fence. However, what would happen was the back of the blade moved more than the front.

I contacted Ridgid customer service, who recommended I take it to be repaired or swapped for another one. I called my HD and they were great. They helped me get it out of the van and had another one waiting for me. We opened up the other one and set-up the top cabinet by the service desk to check it for the problem. Well it had the same issue. According to the serial numbers these were both built within the few months and were new inventory. So we then took the blade off and tried the same thing on their display model which was several months older than the boxed ones. Much to our dismay, the back of the blade shifted on it also.

I know there are people who have R4512s that work fine, and even through HD was willing to order in another one or try another store’s inventory…. I was to disheartened at this point and simply took the refund.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#1 posted 04-09-2013 03:20 PM

On mine, the raise/lower worm gear attached to the handle popped it’s C clip, and allowed the gear to back into the moon gear attached to the motor, until the handle worm gear jammed. HD would only allow me to pack it all up and bring it in so they could send it to Atlanta, since I was over 180 days.
I decided to fix it myself and put in the proper C clips.

While in there, I studied the system and the moon gear has a way on it that rides against another way on the main frame of the unit. If they are mating, it is just about impossible for the blade to shift. There is a large shoulder bolt that rides through the main frame, and holds the motor/moon gear assembly against the frame way. Only by that bolt being loose could the blade shift. If it was bent the blade raise/lower would jam. Wonder if all these blade shifting problems go back to somebody just not tightening the bolt correctly at the factory or possibly not putting in a washer?

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

#2 posted 04-09-2013 03:57 PM

Tennessee if you are right, I’ll be so mad (at myself for not figuring that out). Hopefully someone else with the same saw that has the problem can try it and post the results.

View jeff's profile

jeff

#3 posted 04-09-2013 08:34 PM

sorry to hear about this…probably have to move up to a higher price point for a better performing saw…

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View nwbusa's profile

nwbusa

#4 posted 04-09-2013 09:23 PM

I was lucky in that when I owned my 4512, it didn’t have the QC problems that others have suffered with. Blade alignment was spot on and stayed that way. My probem was with the design flaw of the split rail system. If you own a 4512 and you’re lucky enough to have a “good one”—i.e. one without the blade alignment problem—then simply upgrading the fence system is a realtively easy fix to the saw’s fatal flaw, and you end up with a pretty nice machine for the money. I was ready to change saws so I just bought a cabinet saw and was done with it. Good luck on your next saw.

-- John, BC, Canada

View Marty5965's profile

Marty5965

#5 posted 04-10-2013 01:17 AM

I have the Craftsman 218330, which is, I believe, pretty much the same saw and pricepoint. It does not have that issue. You might want to look at them. Sorry you were disappointed with the Ridgid.

-- Marty, Columbus, OH, learning every day....

#6 posted 04-10-2013 01:34 AM

I have one of the duds and mine is the 21833 Craftsman.
I bought it about a year before Ridgid started selling them; think it was in 2010.
I really don’t understand how these saws get so many good reviews.
Even if mine did not have the problem I would still be very disappointed with it.
I have pointed out on here many times they are designed on the bleeding edge of failure.
I would be amazed if this saw lasts more than a few years of light use.

-- Michael :-{| “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” ― A H

#7 posted 04-10-2013 01:51 AM

Crank49, have you tried to figure out what the point of failure is that causes the arbor and/or trunnions to shift? Any chance its as simple as Tennessee suggested, that it could just need the right bolts tightened up

#8 posted 04-10-2013 02:59 PM

No, Craftsman, Shortly after I got the saw I had a cutback at work and then my job got axed. Been too busy hunting work and trying to make reduced pay (democrat economy) stretch far enough that I don’t lose everything.
Have my home and property up for sale and will be moving into my late in-laws house which is much smaller and in town when it does. They both passed away in the last 6 months and we have an extra house as a result.
On the positive side, I’ll be building a new shop with some of the proceeds from selling the farm.
Think I’ll fix that damn cockeyed TS with a SawStop in the coming year.

#9 posted 04-10-2013 03:03 PM

Crank49, sorry to hear all you’ve been though this past year. Hope things improve.

View aatwatch's profile

aatwatch

#10 posted 04-10-2013 09:56 PM

I purchased the 4512 around 5 weeks ago and have had great success. I had to take the first one back after assembling it because the cast iron top had a dent in it when I flipped it over. They took care of it but it still sucked hauling a 300 lb saw back to the store. Nevertheless, now that I am up and running I have found the saw to be nice and straight after my initial calibrations and have not experienced the arbor rocking described when raising and lowering the blade. The saw is solid and for a normal hobbyist woodworker it is a great saw at a price that you can convince your wife on.. expecially since they let me use the 20% off HF coupon!

Trying to convince the tool snobs that the 4512 is great probably won’t happen but I don’t care. I personally don’t believe a $2000 cabinet saw is necessary for a garage hobbyist but that’s just my opinion. It’s kind of like playing guitar, I bet Stevie Ray could make a pawn-shop special sound a little better than a begineer with a Les Paul.

I suck at woodworking though so you probably shouldn’t asborb anything I am soapboxing about!

#11 posted 04-10-2013 10:42 PM

I resent being called a tool snob because I object to shoddy Chinese machinery looking products being sold at a price that drives quality manufacturers out of business.

This saw is a Yugo. Some of them might get the job done for a while, but they damage the entire market in general.

View aatwatch's profile

aatwatch

#12 posted 04-10-2013 10:52 PM

View nwbusa's profile

nwbusa

#13 posted 04-11-2013 12:55 AM

aatwatch, I’m glad you like your 4512 after 5 weeks of ownership. Hope yours holds up for you.

-- John, BC, Canada

#14 posted 04-11-2013 01:11 AM

Well I got in touch with Ridgid customer service again and offered my help. I figured it would really help their quality assurance department if I could offer them a series of serial numbers in a batch sent to a store that all have the flaw. Here was their response:

“I apologize for the trouble. I have not heard of this issue. If there are saws that are doing this there could be a defect with the trunnion. I will send your information to the tech support supervisor to view in case there are others that have the issue. Unfortunately I can only suggest to take to a service center to be examined, they can order needed parts or to exchange again at Home Depot. Best regards,

Tim B.——-
One World Technologies, Inc. “

I’m crossing my fingers that they pass on to someone who is interesting in solving the problem, but realize they may ignore it.

View kajunkraft's profile

kajunkraft

#15 posted 04-11-2013 02:21 AM

I have had the 4512 for a little over a year now. It is a step up from the various contractors saws that I have used for years. I have become progessively dissapointed with Ridgid overall. I would love to have the funds and space for an honest to goodness cabinet saw and thought the 4512 would be a great compromise. It’s been OK but not even close to great.